Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:59 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Plus, UofTexas fans can get to Lubbock quicker and vice versa with Tech fans if I-18 ever existed. It would really cut the travel time. But, sadly, no one in the last twenty years has thought of that. And the excuse in West Texas? Not enough traffic. Puuhhleeeeeze!
Ever thought of a train, a bullet train perhaps? I think Austin is waiting for it. The only explanation of the lack of freeways is that they want to build more public transport and less roads maybe because Austin is in an environmentally sensitive area. How's that commuter train to the North Suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 03:33 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Ever thought of a train, a bullet train perhaps? I think Austin is waiting for it. The only explanation of the lack of freeways is that they want to build more public transport and less roads maybe because Austin is in an environmentally sensitive area. How's that commuter train to the North Suburbs?
I'm not against trains at all, and Austin is working on their public transit. They are reportedly getting a line from downtown to the northwest side of town -- it's on the drawing board, so I don't know what the update is. That will be great when they finish. But roads are still going to be inevitable, anyway, aquifer or no. People including myself will still be driving cars and Austin has lots of travelers.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:03 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
I don't think any new interstates personally are needed in Texas. all we need to do is extend I-27 further south to directly link I-40 and I-20 in the texas panhandle. Even better, I-45 could be extended northwest to Amarillo or Lubbock from Dallas. Our interstate highway system I think is running out of viable interstates. I think that Denver still needs a freeway directly connecting them to Salt Lake City, and Memphis is already going to have I-22 giving them a direct connection southeast to I-20. Cincinnati could use an I-74 extension to the southeast to connect to the I-74 in North Carolina, I-73 needs to be built...we've already pretty much got most of the interstate highways we need IMO...it's just a matter of extending them to provide more efficient connections. I think that Denver actually needs a corridor flowing southeast of it too to Oklahoma or Amarillo or something like that. This corridor could be the one that would give I-70 traffic a direct and efficient connection to San Francisco.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I don't think any new interstates personally are needed in Texas. all we need to do is extend I-27 further south to directly link I-40 and I-20 in the texas panhandle. Even better, I-45 could be extended northwest to Amarillo or Lubbock from Dallas. Our interstate highway system I think is running out of viable interstates. I think that Denver still needs a freeway directly connecting them to Salt Lake City, and Memphis is already going to have I-22 giving them a direct connection southeast to I-20. Cincinnati could use an I-74 extension to the southeast to connect to the I-74 in North Carolina, I-73 needs to be built...we've already pretty much got most of the interstate highways we need IMO...it's just a matter of extending them to provide more efficient connections. I think that Denver actually needs a corridor flowing southeast of it too to Oklahoma or Amarillo or something like that. This corridor could be the one that would give I-70 traffic a direct and efficient connection to San Francisco.
Interstate 45 would be pretty tough to do to get it to Amarillo unless it goes through Fort Worth or you'd have to do a hard left at Sherman. That would be some funky looking restructuring. I don't think that'll happen. 45 is more likely to head up to Tulsa via U.S. 75 even though there are rumors that it will bypass it via U.S. 69. Look up aaroads.com and you can go to High Priority Corridors and look up future interstates. I-32 is mentioned there if you're wondering about Amarillo. But Texas definitely needs more roads central and west. You can also look up other items in portstoplains.com and see some more stuff.

The Denver-to-Salt Lake City idea is intriguing.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:28 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Interstate 45 would be pretty tough to do to get it to Amarillo unless it goes through Fort Worth or you'd have to do a hard left at Sherman. That would be some funky looking restructuring. I don't think that'll happen. 45 is more likely to head up to Tulsa via U.S. 75 even though there are rumors that it will bypass it via U.S. 69. Look up aaroads.com and you can go to High Priority Corridors and look up future interstates. I-32 is mentioned there if you're wondering about Amarillo. But Texas definitely needs more roads central and west. You can also look up other items in portstoplains.com and see some more stuff.

The Denver-to-Salt Lake City idea is intriguing.
Interstate 69 is also pretty much going to complete Texas' interstate system. What they need to do for certain is extend Interstate 27 south to Interstate 20. And there has to be some type of a better connection between Dallas and Amarillo. Maybe there could be a Dallas-Wichita Falls-Amarillo routing. Personally, I think there needs to at least be some type of corridor that directly connects Texas, and OKlahoma and Colorado, and more specifically directly connects Denver to Dallas. And yes, I was actually thinking before I came up with this idea that I-45 could maybe be extended to Muskogee where it would hook up with I-44. But we are I think already almost done planning out the interstate highway system. Also, the U.S. Routes believe it or not are not as slow as people make them out to be. They are still relatively quick, at least in the Great Plains and the east. In the mountains, they are a b**ch to travel if you are hoping to get somewhere. They wind around mountains, sometimes taking just forever to get you to one place, while in the Great Plains and the East, they tend to follow the more straight and direct routes of the interstate highways running parallel to them.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Interstate 39 over U.S. 59 through East Texas, through Houston and end up in Laredo or Brownsville. Interstate 39 would be part of the Interstate 69 plan. It would be a signed route from Rockford to South Texas. I envision Interstate 69 as multiple routes not one giant numbered route.
There's already an I-39 from central Illinois to central Wisconsin.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Interstate 69 is also pretty much going to complete Texas' interstate system. What they need to do for certain is extend Interstate 27 south to Interstate 20. And there has to be some type of a better connection between Dallas and Amarillo. Maybe there could be a Dallas-Wichita Falls-Amarillo routing. Personally, I think there needs to at least be some type of corridor that directly connects Texas, and OKlahoma and Colorado, and more specifically directly connects Denver to Dallas. And yes, I was actually thinking before I came up with this idea that I-45 could maybe be extended to Muskogee where it would hook up with I-44. But we are I think already almost done planning out the interstate highway system. Also, the U.S. Routes believe it or not are not as slow as people make them out to be. They are still relatively quick, at least in the Great Plains and the east. In the mountains, they are a b**ch to travel if you are hoping to get somewhere. They wind around mountains, sometimes taking just forever to get you to one place, while in the Great Plains and the East, they tend to follow the more straight and direct routes of the interstate highways running parallel to them.
Many highways designated as U.S. highways, admittedly, are quick, but you still slow down for traffic signals in some towns.

Secondly, in case you haven't read my last few posts carefully, I mentioned a future corridor tying Fort Worth and Amarillo. That road will include Wichita Falls. Roads And Bridges Magazine as well as aaroads.com have both mentioned this possibililty for a future Interstate 32 along the route of U.S. Highway 287. Unfortunately, it cannot originate/terminate in the city of Dallas.

Thirdly, we can agree to disagree on whether Texas needs new roads. You say we don't, I say we do, and we can leave it at that. If the economy suddenly booms in West Texas, and there's always that chance, then the new roads I mentioned in previous posts will become necessary at some point. I'm just amazed they don't exist now.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Where would one look for the speed limits on some of the major highways in Texas? I was just on I 20 and I 10 a few months ago, and was 80 mph! Any other states with speed limits this high?!

Old 09-03-2007, 11:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
No, Texas is the only state with a speed limit of 80, and only in a very small section of its highway system. Most other states top out at 70, with some at 75. Here is a nationwide speed limit map.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Where would one look for the speed limits on some of the major highways in Texas? I was just on I 20 and I 10 a few months ago, and was 80 mph! Any other states with speed limits this high?!
Good question. I-20 west of Pecos and I-10 from El Paso County to Kerr County (some 400 miles) is 80 MPH. I saw 75 MPH on I-35 between Encinal and Pearsall in South Texas. Very likely, you will find something like that in some places in the west and southwest. I-40 in parts of eastern New Mexico is 75 MPH. But 80? So far, I think West Texas is the only region that I know has it, and the highways you and I mentioned used to be 75 a couple of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.