Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 AM

63 posts, read 258,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Tennessee????

Yeah, I second that. And I haven't even looked I promise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,271,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
texas is more than a state, at one time a country in its own right.
stephen s
san diego, ca
True. Texas was a republic for almost 10 years. California was a republic for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks?

Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Trivia Question and no internet looking-
What state was the last to succede from the Union?
It depends on what criteria is used as to whether or not Tennessee or North Carolina was the last to secede. Without looking it up to be sure (as per the rules! LOL), I am THINKING that Tennessee actually voted to secede earlier than North Carolina. BUT, that the former's ordinance of secession was dated to actually take effect LATER than was the case of North Carolinas.

Soooo, if we are going by the actual vote in the state legislatures, the last would be North Carolina.

If going by the date the ordinances actually took effect, the last would be Tennesee

OR...maybe it was the other way around. LOL

However, since only allowed one guess, I suppose I would go with Tennessee since, vote or not, it wouldn't count until actually in force.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
texas is more than a state, at one time a country in its own right.
stephen s
san diego, ca
i don't understand this. how is it more than a state? does it yield more power than another state in the union? does it get any special treatment or privledges? why does it matter that it was once a country over 150 years ago?

Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 AM

To JDinBalt and Louisville (hey, ain't seen you in a while!).

If I may here, I think that y'all are actually arguing on the same side of the question!

If I read it right, although perhaps the wording may have been just a bit confusing, JDinBalt was saying that few would argue AGAINST Kentucky being in the South, even though it didn't join officially join the Confederacy. However, yes, the way it is worded "which few would argue is in the South" could be taken to mean few would argue it IS.

Anyway, this post is only valid if I am right!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:

i'm guessing TN because you don't post anything that doesn't refer to TN or your hatred of NJ.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i don't understand this. how is it more than a state? does it yield more power than another state in the union? does it get any special treatment or privledges? why does it matter that it was once a country over 150 years ago?
I don't think anyone was doing anything other than making an observation in a somewhat proudly humorous vein. Why should that bother anyone? And why should it matter if it DOES matter to others it was once a seperate nation? And yes, now that you mention it, Texas does have the "special" right to divide itself into 3 - 5 states according to the annexation treaty with the United States.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:02 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,750,216 times
Quote:
Does it matter, some 147 years later? And the word is "secede", not succede, which is not even a word. Perhaps you were thinking "succeed"?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I don't think anyone was doing anything other than making an observation in a somewhat proudly humorous vein. Why should that bother anyone? And why should it matter if it DOES matter to others it was once a seperate nation? And yes, now that you mention it, Texas does have the "special" right to divide itself into 3 - 5 states according to the annexation treaty with the United States.

where is this coming from? i'm just asking the OP of that statement to explain himself. i'm not bothered by it. defensive much?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:11 AM

9,331 posts, read 20,670,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I wonder if under this scenario, Texas can allow the area south of the Nueces River to go back to Mexico. I've never seen anything like it before. The only way I knew I was in the U.S. was that there were post offices occasionally that indicated to me as such. That's the wonder of Texas. Other than possibly New York, it's about the hardest area to define. Some areas are south, some southwest, others great plains, and like I said, the far south doesn't even feel like the U.S. at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.