Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndraCiel View Post
My husband and I are looking around at options for cities to eventually settle down in, and would love a little input. We've lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego, and prefer relatively large cities. If it's a city our favorite bands would likely pass up, and where everything shuts down by 10pm, it's definitely not for us. There also has to be a thriving foodie scene - my husband's a chef, and we're both into fine dining and unique eating experiences. I love the ocean, and want to live as close to it as possible - my dream is to have the beach as my backyard. Lastly, we're both big fans of warm weather, but if a place is awesome enough we'd consider toughing out snow. Combined income is around $350,000.

Any ideas on cities that might fit this description?
Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps Virginia Beach...
If having a Chick-Fil-A and Taco Bell at every exit qualifies as being a "Foodie" city, maybe.

Miami is a good pick, as is NYC (worth "toughing out" the snow, although there hasn't been any this winter).

Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM

532 posts, read 1,465,114 times
Quote:
My husband and I are looking around at options for cities to eventually settle down in, and would love a little input. We've lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego, and prefer relatively large cities. If it's a city our favorite bands would likely pass up, and where everything shuts down by 10pm, it's definitely not for us. There also has to be a thriving foodie scene - my husband's a chef, and we're both into fine dining and unique eating experiences. I love the ocean, and want to live as close to it as possible - my dream is to have the beach as my backyard. Lastly, we're both big fans of warm weather, but if a place is awesome enough we'd consider toughing out snow. Combined income is around $350,000.

Your combined income will remain 350k wherever you move ?

Old 01-08-2012, 01:21 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Chicago if you can believe the lake is the ocean isnt bad either.
It'd be tough to actually get on the beach in Chicago on their income, though, and the weather would kill 'em....

Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 9,500 times
Wow, thank you for all the replies! To answer a few of the questions:

I realize the cities we've lived in qualify, and it's quite possible we'll end up settling in one of them, but we've only lived in California and thus are pretty ignorant about what else is out there. We don't just want to move for the sake of moving - we understand that California is not the end all and be all of the universe. There are obviously a lot of other amazing places to live, and we're going to try to go visit many of them over the next couple years to see what they're like, but by posting here I was hoping to get some ideas on which places to look at. I really appreciate all of the suggestions, and am going to start looking into some of those cities today.

I believe our income will stay roughly the same no matter where we live, although one caveat is that we have to stay in the U.S. unless I can figure out how to get a medical license in a foreign country (Sydney might work). Unfortunately our income will not get us on the beach in California, NYC, or Chicago, but as I said it's a dream, and doesn't necessarily have to come true.

The need for a big city may change over time - we're in our late 20s and really enjoy the energy and options cities provide. That said, we're used to long commutes, so anything within a 30-45 minute drive of a big city would also be fine.

Thanks again.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:14 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Charleston, maybe Savannah, in addition to all the previous replies. Charleston has a foodie scene, albeit on a small scale. (I'm not so sure about Savannah.)

I don't know, OP... maybe instead of requiring the town be a foodie town... learn to cook it yourself?

Old 01-08-2012, 02:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:

Houston, New Orleans, & Miami all immediately come to mind.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Wow, thank you for all the replies! To answer a few of the questions:

I realize the cities we've lived in qualify, and it's quite possible we'll end up settling in one of them, but we've only lived in California and thus are pretty ignorant about what else is out there. We don't just want to move for the sake of moving - we understand that California is not the end all and be all of the universe. There are obviously a lot of other amazing places to live, and we're going to try to go visit many of them over the next couple years to see what they're like, but by posting here I was hoping to get some ideas on which places to look at. I really appreciate all of the suggestions, and am going to start looking into some of those cities today.

I believe our income will stay roughly the same no matter where we live, although one caveat is that we have to stay in the U.S. unless I can figure out how to get a medical license in a foreign country (Sydney might work). Unfortunately our income will not get us on the beach in California, NYC, or Chicago, but as I said it's a dream, and doesn't necessarily have to come true.

The need for a big city may change over time - we're in our late 20s and really enjoy the energy and options cities provide. That said, we're used to long commutes, so anything within a 30-45 minute drive of a big city would also be fine.

Thanks again.
I hear it isn't that difficult to immigrate to Australia. They need a lot of medical/psych/social work type people.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:54 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
How come nobody's mentioned Seattle? Loads of foodies and exciting restaurant happenings, all the bands come there, mild weather, not on the ocean but close enough that it's always considered coastal (and lots of water around when you don't feel like making the trip). Lots of rain, but there are plenty of people who don't mind. West Coast but not California if you want a geographic change but not that much of a change.

Though it's certainly not a big city, I'm glad Charleston's had some mentions in this thread. Possibly the best restaurant town I've ever been to, and I live in New York and have visited Barcelona. I had a lot of truly incredible food there and still fantasize about it more than two years later. Someone was wondering about Savannah -- I hit it on the same trip, and I'd describe the food as very very good, but not quite at Charleston's level (though the best meal I had on the trip was in Savannah, not Charleston).

Old 01-09-2012, 07:58 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
If having a Chick-Fil-A and Taco Bell at every exit qualifies as being a "Foodie" city, maybe.

Miami is a good pick, as is NYC (worth "toughing out" the snow, although there hasn't been any this winter).
Well, I was thinking in terms of the whole area and it is the biggest city in that area. What about the seafood and other southern cuisine? Perhaps I should have said Norfolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.