Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 AM

5 posts, read 9,493 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking around at options for cities to eventually settle down in, and would love a little input. We've lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego, and prefer relatively large cities. If it's a city our favorite bands would likely pass up, and where everything shuts down by 10pm, it's definitely not for us. There also has to be a thriving foodie scene - my husband's a chef, and we're both into fine dining and unique eating experiences. I love the ocean, and want to live as close to it as possible - my dream is to have the beach as my backyard. Lastly, we're both big fans of warm weather, but if a place is awesome enough we'd consider toughing out snow. Combined income is around $350,000.

Any ideas on cities that might fit this description?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Perhaps Virginia Beach or Miami.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 AM

5,518 posts, read 8,766,208 times
Miami is the only big city that might fit all your needs, though if you're willing to sacrifice size you could look at New Orleans (best eating on earth!), though its smaller than the West coast cities and not really a beach place. Even smaller cities w food scenes are Savannah and Charleston but I think you'd find them provincial after Living in California.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 AM

14,674 posts, read 14,639,000 times
So if you've already lived in SF, LA & SD, and want a "coastal foodie city with a beach" why the hell are you even asking this question?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
So if you've already lived in SF, LA & SD, and want a "coastal foodie city with a beach" why the hell are you even asking this question?

Mostly agree though NYC is another obvious one. Philadelphia or Boston might work but Philly is further from the beach.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 AM

14,674 posts, read 14,639,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Mostly agree though NYC is another obvious one. Philadelphia or Boston might work but Philly is further from the beach.
Yeah, but from the OP's criteria, including warm weather, it's obvious they're not comfortable outside the three cities they've already lived, yet feel the need to relocate for the sake of doing so.
I've come across this type quite often in California...they want the cache of living many different places, yet are not open-minded enough to actually leave their comfort zone.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:51 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yeah, but from the OP's criteria, including warm weather, it's obvious they're not comfortable outside the three cities they've already lived, yet feel the need to relocate for the sake of doing so.
I've come across this type quite often in California...they want the cache of living many different places, yet are not open-minded enough to actually leave their comfort zone.

Well if they would consider toughing out the snow an option though probably a little different than the coastal living of the west coast.

If being a foodie is the top criteria then NYC, Chicago, and SF are best; the next set are LA, Philly, and Boston IMHO

Living on the beach is different on the East Coast as you will in general be a little further from the actual city wheras in LA and SD and SF (to a little lessor extent) you are closer.

Chicago if you can believe the lake is the ocean isnt bad either.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:27 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndraCiel View Post
My husband and I are looking around at options for cities to eventually settle down in, and would love a little input. We've lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego, and prefer relatively large cities. If it's a city our favorite bands would likely pass up, and where everything shuts down by 10pm, it's definitely not for us. There also has to be a thriving foodie scene - my husband's a chef, and we're both into fine dining and unique eating experiences. I love the ocean, and want to live as close to it as possible - my dream is to have the beach as my backyard. Lastly, we're both big fans of warm weather, but if a place is awesome enough we'd consider toughing out snow. Combined income is around $350,000.

Any ideas on cities that might fit this description?
The OP clearly has a bi-coastal, big-city, trend-oriented mentality which leaves two options, NYC or Miami.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
If you have the money to move conveniently in SD, LA and SF and have an income of 350k dollars... You have probably covered those places in the U.S. outside Miami...
You should definitely consider getting out of your comfort zone... Rio, Barcelona, Lisbon, Sydney, Hong Kong

Old 01-08-2012, 12:56 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,912 times
Houston has a pretty good restaurant scene and is by the coast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.