Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What large Southern US metro area would you want to live in?
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 29 12.72%
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX 17 7.46%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 26 11.40%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 29 12.72%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA 35 15.35%
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 4 1.75%
Baltimore-Towson, MD 7 3.07%
San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX 7 3.07%
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL 2 0.88%
Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC 14 6.14%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX 15 6.58%
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 3 1.32%
Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN 14 6.14%
Jacksonville, FL 1 0.44%
Memphis, TN-MS-AR 1 0.44%
Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN 1 0.44%
Richmond, VA 4 1.75%
Oklahoma City, OK 1 0.44%
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA 6 2.63%
Raleigh-Cary, NC 5 2.19%
Birmingham-Hoover, AL 7 3.07%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,290,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
D/FW is indeed Southern, but not "Deep South" like New Orleans & Atlanta.

The D/FW Metroplex is at the crossroads of the South/Southwest both geographically & culturally.
Southwest only in the vaguest sense. It's mostly a matter of branding, like with the airline (much like the one known as Northwest that was based in the Upper Midwest). Culturally, though, I'm from the Southwest and I can tell you that Texas is not it. Except for that tiny sliver around El Paso.

South Central is a better label for Texas and some of the surrounding states, if you're trying to distinguish from Southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,861,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Whether the BLS definition of the "South" region of the USA is sufficient to call a city "Southern" is highly debatable on these forums. Which probably says more about the people here than about geographic terminology.

I'd actually say it's a three way crossroads, with Midwestern influences as well.
Mainly due to the large former Midwestern population that has moved there over the years. Especially a lot of those from Polish descent.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,486,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd like to give Miami a try as it seems like a half-step towards living in a foreign country.

Sounds like Southern California.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,518,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
D/FW is indeed Southern, but not "Deep South" like New Orleans & Atlanta.
or Houston.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:37 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,242,528 times
Atlanta, Dallas, DC, Houston, Miami. I could live in any of those big 5 southern metropolises but I already live in 2/5 and love the other 3 very much. I would love to live and own a second home in the other 3 at some point. Nashville, New Orleans, and Tampa are also up there on my bucket list.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 AM

99 posts, read 253,306 times
Probably somewhere in North Carolina. But the region doesn't appeal to me. Mostly because the weather and culture aren't compatible with what I like.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:53 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,609,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
What large Southern US metro area would you want to live in?
i'm from the south, and i wouldn't really want to live in any of these places you listed.

Austin or Raleigh would be ok, maybe. New Orleans would be cool, but I think it would get old quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Thats what this map shows - At a Glance Tables
i wouldn't call the bureau of labor statistics an authority on the matter.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,879,114 times
This should be a multipe choice poll. I'd be fine living in many of those cities. My top choices would be:

Atlanta: close to family, lots of amenities like pro sports and great restaurants, great neighborhoods like Va-Highland, Inman Park, Poncy-Highland, friends

New Orleans: love the culture and vibe of N.O., great food and music

DC (although I don't consider it southern): the best "city" of the ones listed, tons of stuff going on, location allows for lots of travelling to other great cities.

Nashville: up and coming city. Very vibrant (esp the music scense) with a nice, diverse economy

Tampa/St. Pete: I like the almost tropical flair and access to the Gulf

Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,020,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Coming from Orange County, eastern summers will be hellish, and southeastern summers that much more hellish (unless of course you're into things like having it stay hot all night).

You'll probably have a bigger house, with less going on in your neighborhood (whether good stuff or bad stuff).

There will be more conformity in politics and religion (I know OC is known for conservatism but it's actually a mecca for independents; the South not so much).

Demographic differences, too: hard to significant Hispanic or especially Asian communities in the South.

People will probably be friendlier and perhaps nosier; your take on that will depend on your personality.

Very few Southern cities have good beach access, due in large part to the threat of hurricanes.

The migration rate is an interesting statistic, and that's about it. The South is far less populated than the "North", but yes it is gaining people, which makes sense as a matter of diffusion/evening out of densities.

If I had to live in the South, I might choose Virginia Beach.
I'm sorry but.....as a former Californian, this overall opinion is laughable. As a self proclaimed liberal, agnostic adoptive Southerner, this description is overly simplified to highlight and reinforce stereotypes.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 AM

17 posts, read 36,024 times
From most likely to least likely respectively.

Top 3
1. Baltimore
2. Washington D.C.
3. Charlotte

Runner-ups
4. Atlanta
5. Raleigh

Decent Metros
6. OKC
7. Austin
8. Houston
9. Dallas
10. San Antonio

Meh...Not that attractive...
11. Miami
12. Orlando
13. Jacksonville
14. Tampa
15. Richmond

Blehk!! NO!
16. New Orleans
17. Birmingham
18. Nashville
19. Memphis
20. Louisville
21. Virginia Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.