Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Los Angeles is the best warm weather sports city. Over the last 30 years, the Dodgers and Angels combined usually outdraw the Yankees and Mets. They support two NHL teams and also two NBA teams in the same building. They have two soccer teams including the club with the 2nd highest attendance. The only thing they lack is NFL, which they will be getting back shortly. The only reason they lack NFL is their unwillingness to build a public funded stadium.

New Orleans will be losing their NBA team, probably to Seattle, in the near term.
That's not the question he's asking though and he said Southern sports city anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 05:12 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's not the question he's asking though and he said Southern sports city anyway.
Here at latitude 47, Los Angeles is southern.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:12 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Here at latitude 47, Los Angeles is southern.
Los Angeles is NOT a Southern city in the eyes of all Americans.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:16 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
Judging by your criteria, Nashville sounds like your kind of place.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishNFLfan View Post
Hey guys, as you can tell by my name and previous posts, i love football as in your football, not "soccer", although i do love "soccer".
Anyway, ive been trying to decide the best place to visit to watch an NFL and a college game. But what ive recently realised is that I should go somewhere where i can appreciate some country/folk/bluegrass music and country scenery (friday night lights tv series type of thing) .

I was thinking either Nashville for the titans and could travel to knoxville for a vols game, or Charlotte for a panthers game and travel down to SC to take in a clemson tigers game, or maybe to raleigh for a nc state game.

Id also enjoy going to some sports bars, but im guessing most cities have a fair few of those.

Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum, and thanks for any help,suggestions or advice.
Dallas would be the best Southern sports city by far.

Dallas Cowboys
Dallas Mavericks
Dallas Stars
Texas Rangers (Arlington)
FC Dallas (Frisco)

SMU Mustangs
Cotton Bowl

What else am I forgetting?

TCU maybe?

Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times
I'd say Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Nashville, Tampa or Miami.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:01 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishNFLfan View Post
great, thanks for the help guys, i think when writing i realised nashville would be the best option really... i think one of the reasons i want to go the carolinas is becuase of my love for the avett brothers

also do you guys think kansas city MO would suit the bill?
Well, the Avett Brothers were actually in Nashville back in October.

If you're looking for music entertainment, Nashville would be a great pick (and not just for country music).

As far as KC...it would suit the bill for everything but being Southern.

What sort of time frame do you have in mind for your trip? Do you have a date, or a certain month in mind?

If I had a suggestion to make, it would be October to late November. College and pro football are in full swing (and there are some pretty good games during that stretch), and basketball and hockey season are underway as well in November.

If you are willing to spend a week, and do a moderate amount of driving, there's a possibility that you could could see the Titans (NFL), Predators (NHL), and Vanderbilt (NCAA basketball) play in Nashville (I wouldn't suggest Vanderbilt football for those who haven't been to a game before...), the Grizzlies (NBA) and Tigers (NCAA basketball) play in Memphis, and Alabama (NCAA football) play in Tuscaloosa (not far from Birmingham) all in the span of a week. Finding a week where all of those teams play at home during such a week might be tricky...but there should still be plenty of options.

I hate Alabama football, btw, but you will get a much better viewing experience watching them play at home in front of more than 100,000 fans than you will watching Vanderbilt get 33-35,000 (half of which might be rooting for the other team) at home.

The bonus is, if you hit both Nashville and Memphis, you get the opportunity to hear a lot of great music during nights when you aren't attending games (or better yet -- after the games).

Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
New Orleans is somewhere on the list..

Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 AM

21 posts, read 27,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Well, the Avett Brothers were actually in Nashville back in October.

If you're looking for music entertainment, Nashville would be a great pick (and not just for country music).

As far as KC...it would suit the bill for everything but being Southern.

What sort of time frame do you have in mind for your trip? Do you have a date, or a certain month in mind?

If I had a suggestion to make, it would be October to late November. College and pro football are in full swing (and there are some pretty good games during that stretch), and basketball and hockey season are underway as well in November.

If you are willing to spend a week, and do a moderate amount of driving, there's a possibility that you could could see the Titans (NFL), Predators (NHL), and Vanderbilt (NCAA basketball) play in Nashville (I wouldn't suggest Vanderbilt football for those who haven't been to a game before...), the Grizzlies (NBA) and Tigers (NCAA basketball) play in Memphis, and Alabama (NCAA football) play in Tuscaloosa (not far from Birmingham) all in the span of a week. Finding a week where all of those teams play at home during such a week might be tricky...but there should still be plenty of options.

I hate Alabama football, btw, but you will get a much better viewing experience watching them play at home in front of more than 100,000 fans than you will watching Vanderbilt get 33-35,000 (half of which might be rooting for the other team) at home.

The bonus is, if you hit both Nashville and Memphis, you get the opportunity to hear a lot of great music during nights when you aren't attending games (or better yet -- after the games).
thanks for the reply!

i was thinking october/november next year. for either two weeks, or maybe come out for a month and travel around a bit.

that all sounds great, i'll definatly take in a titans and predators game, and was thinking of driving over to knoxville for a Vols game.

the music scene in nashville really is swinging it for me as well.

Also, i know suggesting kc was completly going against the whole thread haha but ive always really liked the chiefs and would love to try some Kansas city BBQ

Old 01-11-2012, 11:20 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,383 times
Oct 20, 2012 Alabama plays at Tennessee. There is a big rivalry game to go see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.