U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-01-2007, 08:45 PM
 
58 posts, read 285,607 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

if i move to us how much can i expect to pay for health care? I am 27 Fiance is 28 no kids- yet

what would be reasonable?
is it as much of a nightmare as it is made out to be?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2007, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Missouri
6,044 posts, read 22,993,295 times
Reputation: 5155
It can really vary. Many employers offer medical insurance. In addition to your salary/wages, your employer would pay all or part of your insurance premium, + all, part, or none of your dependent's premiums.

For example, my last employer paid most of my premium. When I was single, I paid approximately $80/month for medical insurance. If I went to my family doctor, I had to pay the doctor $15. If I went to a specialist, I had to pay $30 to the specialist. Medications generally cost me between $5 - $35; the insurance paid the rest.

When I got married, I went on my husband's employer's plan. The premium cost $100/month for both of us. The copays under this plan were almost identical to the ones I listed above.

When my husband quit his job, we went on my employer's plan. It was much more expensive. It cost us $550/month for our premiums; the copays listed above were the same.

We just moved, so again our medical coverage will change. My husband just accepted a new job. If we take insurance through his new employer, it will cost us $500/month for the premium. Then, the insurance will not pay for anything unless we have spent $4000 on medical care during the course of the year. If we spend the $4000, they will pay for 80% of any additional costs, and we will have to pay the remaining 20%. I think his plan is awful. Hopefully I will get a job with a better plan.

It is usually cheaper if you and your fiance get separate policies through your own employers, rather than go on a joint policy. Most likely, because you are not married, you will not be able to share a policy anyway.

You also do not have to go through an employer for medical insurance. It can be purchased privately, through an insurance company, assuming you have no preexisting health conditions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2007, 09:53 PM
 
58 posts, read 285,607 times
Reputation: 35
does anyone know how much i can expect to pay if i am not employed, nor is my husband?

where could i get quotes

this is the SINGLE largest factor holding me back from moving there
i really scares me
i am self employed now and pay for all my meds, but the govt pays for all doctor visits, or if i have a baby, or need say a heart transplant
not having that or with the stories of medical insurance messing people around really scares me
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top