Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 05:31 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Funny you say that because how are Cambodian immigrants who grew up during bloody Civil War any different from the Hispanic gangs like MS-13 who were also born out of the refuge children of bloody foreign civil war in California? People seem to be awful scared of MS-13 for some reason. Maybe because the media tells us MS-13 is the most dangerous gang in America? I don't know. How are these Cambodian gangsters any different? Both Cambodians and Central Americans both tend to be people of similar short height and small stature. Why don't you take the Asian gang bangers are seriously? Also, it is actually pretty ignorant to say that those kids don't remember people being killed all around them everyday because there is something called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder . Witnessing murder, let alone mass genocide, is not normal. The killing fields in an actual war zone in a place like Cambodia back then is definitely worse than any ghetto in the United States. I used to know someone who was a Liberian refuge and grew up in the midst of gunfire everyday stepping over a sea of dozens and dozens of dead bodies and hunting for his own food while living in a tree. Nobody who grew up solely in an American ghetto had it that hard. Not even someone who grew up in the worst area of Baltimore knows what it is like to step over a sea of dead bodies and live in a tree! Also, those Cambodians were not posing at all. Adversity is all they ever knew. Once they relocated to California, many of those short Cambodian kids who grew up in actual warzones were constantly victimized by already existing Mexican gangs as well as other Asian gangs. They had no choice but to adapt to the gang banging lifestyle. You might understand if you've ever grew up in a big city in California.

Not everybody has the same or better opportunities based solely on their racial background or physical appearance. A trip to a Nike or Foxconn factory in China would also destroy any stereotypes of Asian people being better off than anybody else.
Spare me your liberal sympathy. Most refugees do not become gangsters, shooting pregnant woman. 'Anyone is a target' to some of them as they admitted. I don't care where they're from if they're going to go around starting violent crime they're a blight on the society, as are white or black criminals. PTSD? These kids are teenagers and in their 20s. The Khmer Rouge was toppled in 1979. Most weren't even born when the Rouge commited genocide, I'm sure some were born in the States. Like I said now they're Americans but it's a pity. You think their parents agree they had 'no choice'? What about trying integrate? This isn't the 60s. Most people aren't that racist towards Asian. I'm Asian myself, by the way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 06:27 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Spare me your liberal sympathy. Most refugees do not become gangsters, shooting pregnant woman. 'Anyone is a target' to some of them as they admitted. I don't care where they're from if they're going to go around starting violent crime they're a blight on the society, as are white or black criminals. PTSD? These kids are teenagers and in their 20s. The Khmer Rouge was toppled in 1979. Most weren't even born when the Rouge commited genocide, I'm sure some were born in the States. Like I said now they're Americans but it's a pity. You think their parents agree they had 'no choice'? What about trying integrate? This isn't the 60s. Most people aren't that racist towards Asian. I'm Asian myself, by the way.

What makes you think that the street life these kids are living is not due to them integrating into American culture? They're not bringing these gangs from the homeland... in the case of the Cambodian gangs in Fresno, they're repping the streets they live on like any other gang of any race in California. This points to the issue having little to do with race and much more to do with the culture of the place these kids are growing up in.

And generally speaking, their parents did live through the war and they have the symptoms to show for it. What do you think it's like for these kids to grow up in households with parents who are unstable or in some cases not functional? Add poverty and the already existing issues that plague these neighborhoods (crappy schools, crappy infrastructure, etc.) to the mix and you have a formula that makes the streets look appealing... a lot of these kids are just looking for the family that doesn't exist inside their homes. It's the same story as any other gang.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
What makes you think that the street life these kids are living is not due to them integrating into American culture? They're not bringing these gangs from the homeland... in the case of the Cambodian gangs in Fresno, they're repping the streets they live on like any other gang of any race in California. This points to the issue having little to do with race and much more to do with the culture of the place these kids are growing up in.

And generally speaking, their parents did live through the war and they have the symptoms to show for it. What do you think it's like for these kids to grow up in households with parents who are unstable or in some cases not functional? Add poverty and the already existing issues that plague these neighborhoods (crappy schools, crappy infrastructure, etc.) to the mix and you have a formula that makes the streets look appealing... a lot of these kids are just looking for the family that doesn't exist inside their homes. It's the same story as any other gang.
I have no problem them just hanging out in crews or 'gangs' if you want to call them that, but not gangs where they go around committing crime, hurting innocent people. In the Vietnamese community in Australia it was the Vietnamese who probably hated these gangs more than anyone. They deal in drugs, and cause others to be racist towards the whole community. They are lucky to be in America. Talk about poverty, would they rather be stuck in Cambodia?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Would you consider NY Chinatown a 'ghetto' anymore?
LOL, yeah right. I went there like a week ago and all they do is sell fruits and vegetables and faulty electronics. It's pretty dirty and disgusting there, and if you don't speak Chinese, you might as well not go, but it's definitely not a ghetto.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:36 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
they'd beat trimac's ass

Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
I wonder if there are any ghetto/crime ridden/dangerous all white neighborhoods?
There are Armenian street gangs in LA. One of which, Armenian Power, was the subject of a major crackdown last year. AP apparently includes Armenians, Russians, and other Eastern European immigrants.

Armenian Power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Armenian Power Gang Targeted in Raid | FOX 11 News (http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/armenian-gang-targeted-in-federal-indictment-20110216 - broken link)

Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I have no problem them just hanging out in crews or 'gangs' if you want to call them that, but not gangs where they go around committing crime, hurting innocent people. In the Vietnamese community in Australia it was the Vietnamese who probably hated these gangs more than anyone. They deal in drugs, and cause others to be racist towards the whole community. They are lucky to be in America. Talk about poverty, would they rather be stuck in Cambodia?

As you've pointed out, gangs are not a substitute for your family... they'll lead you to do things you'll more than likely spend the rest of your life regretting. But for kids stuck in dysfunctional homes, on the surface the gangs offer something that their homes lack.

And the Cambodia of today is not the Cambodia of the 1970's. Not by a long shot.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
People have changed the meaning of the word ghetto over the years. Originally it just referred to any ethnic/cultural enclave, where people were often forced to live due to segregation. Originating in Medieval Europe, where the Jews were walled off from the rest of the populace. Later it could refer to any immigrant/cultural/social group forced to live in one area often for political or economic reasons("Gay ghettos" or "College ghettos"). It didn't neccesarily mean a neighborhood with a lot of crime until relatively recently, although there has been that connotation at other points in history.

Almost all predominantly Asian neighborhoods were ghettos in the 19th Century through the early part of the 20th century, because that's where Asian immigrants were allowed to live. Today, there are still urban areas where Southeast or East Asian immigrants are the dominate group in lower income or lower-middle class neighborhoods because that's what they can afford. Many will move out into middle class areas eventually, so most Asian ghetto requires a constant stream of immigrants. So, yes technically there are still Asian ghettos unless you're just assuming ghettos only refer to areas with high crime and extreme levels of poverty.

Last edited by Deezus; 01-19-2012 at 08:40 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Quote:
I wonder if there are any ghetto/crime ridden/dangerous all white neighborhoods?
There are white gangs in Minneapolis and St Paul. The neighborhoods they operate in aren't all white though.

Police Bust Mpls Crime Ring, Arrest 'Posse' Members | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul (http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1989819.shtml?cat=127 - broken link)

Old 01-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:

There were white Hoovers in Little Rock back in the 90's, IDK about now.

^ Fast-forward to 5:05

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.