Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Are there any predominantly Asian ghettos: low income, high crime, large or majority Asian population (at least 40%) in America? I was watching a program on TV about Cabramatta, about how it became a centre for drugs and crime and it was mainly poor Vietnamese who were responsible. I don't know if Cabramatta is a true ghetto, I guess it is by Australian standards (we don't really have ghettos in the American sense). Asian communities here tend to be pretty middle class, actually, although some poorer suburbs have a lot of Asians. I suppose the difference is that the Vietnamese were refugees, while more recently Asian immigrants are professionals or students. The majority of Vietnamese try to assimilate/contribute though and they tend to be very hard-working. I'm not saying Asians aren't involved in crime (it's a socio-economic thing rather than an ethnic thing) because they often are, including white-collar crime, but it seems areas with a lot of Asians tend not to be that dangerous, with a few exceptions.
I guess not all ghettos have to be dangerous though.

Are there any Asian ghettos in the US? I imagine in the past there might have been. Would you consider NY Chinatown a 'ghetto' anymore? I'm sure real estate prices etc are high so I wouldn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
I wouldn't consider any Chinatown a ghetto. I really don't know of any Asian ghettos in the U.S. There ARE however alot of asian gangs in southern California that claim certain neighborhoods in cities like Long Beach, San Diego, and LA.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Stockton, CA got a high number of Vietnamese refugees after the Vietnam war, and had one of the highest murder rates in the United States in the 70s and 80s. It's not as dangerous now but still has a pretty high murder rate.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
There aren't really any Asian ghettos in my area mainly because this is a white/black area with mounds of diversity in many areas. There are refugees but its disproportionate and it's not really focused on 1 area in particular.

Chinatown in NYC is not really a bad area. Selling pirated and fake stuff yes, but not very much crime that inflicts harm.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are there any predominantly Asian ghettos: low income, high crime, large or majority Asian population (at least 40%) in America? I was watching a program on TV about Cabramatta, about how it became a centre for drugs and crime and it was mainly poor Vietnamese who were responsible. I don't know if Cabramatta is a true ghetto, I guess it is by Australian standards (we don't really have ghettos in the American sense). Asian communities here tend to be pretty middle class, actually, although some poorer suburbs have a lot of Asians. I suppose the difference is that the Vietnamese were refugees, while more recently Asian immigrants are professionals or students. The majority of Vietnamese try to assimilate/contribute though and they tend to be very hard-working. I'm not saying Asians aren't involved in crime (it's a socio-economic thing rather than an ethnic thing) because they often are, including white-collar crime, but it seems areas with a lot of Asians tend not to be that dangerous, with a few exceptions.
I guess not all ghettos have to be dangerous though.

Are there any Asian ghettos in the US? I imagine in the past there might have been. Would you consider NY Chinatown a 'ghetto' anymore? I'm sure real estate prices etc are high so I wouldn't think so.
Alief (SW Houston), Texas could be considered somewhat "ghetto".

It is 21.2% Asian however...half of the 40% you were looking for.

Definitely not the slums, but it is a lower-middle class suburban area of the city where crime runs rampant & Asian gangs (mostly Vietnamese) are mixed in with just about every other race, religion, culture, & ethnicity on this planet conglomerate. Houston is unique in that way, races intermingle in neighborhoods unlike in most other large cities, there are not that many segregated areas of the city where just a single race is predominate except for maybe on the East side (Hispanic) & South side (Black) sides of town.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-16-2012 at 12:08 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 12:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I wouldn't consider any Chinatown a ghetto. I really don't know of any Asian ghettos in the U.S. There ARE however alot of asian gangs in southern California that claim certain neighborhoods in cities like Long Beach, San Diego, and LA.

All urban Chinatowns started out as ghettos. There were tong wars and gang battles in the San Francisco and New York Chinatown areas since the 19th Century until well into the 1980s. Now days more Chinese have just moved out to more middle class or suburban areas and the remaining Chinatowns in the country are mostly shopping or tourist districts except for a few examples(SF and NY mostly)--which aren't as dangerous as they used to be.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
There are areas of Oakland and Long Beach that would probably qualify.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:37 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default Boredatwork

That's them triads out there in the west coast. No Asian gangs out here in the midatlantic

Old 01-16-2012, 11:06 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
There are areas of Oakland and Long Beach that would probably qualify.
Yes. Some of the worst ghetto neighborhoods in Oakland and SF have dominant Asian populations.

The San Antonio District in Oakland which is home to an area between 20-29th Aves known as the "Murder Dubs" or "Twomps" has more Asians than Blacks. Many blocks here are majority Asian. The Asians living here are very poor. Historically speaking, this is easily one of the worst neighborhoods in America. Asians here are just and poor and ghettoized as the Blacks and Hispanics that live right next door. Anybody who has a stereotypical view of Asians being the "model minority" would be in for some serious culture shock after visiting this infamous Oakland hood:

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...akland-CA.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ant...nd,_California

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...201.DTL&ao=all

The Tenderloin in downtown San Francisco has a dominant Asian population. The TL is an island of poverty, violence, drug abuse, orphanage, alcoholism and everything else bad in affluent San Francisco. The Tenderloin is easily one of the nastiest places in Northern California (this is quite an achievement seeing as Northern California cities like Oakland, Richmond and Stockton always make the top ten most dangerous cities list). Certain blocks in the Tenderloin have a crime rate 35 times as high as the citywide average. The TL is full of drug addicts, drug dealers and gang bangers. There has been well-publicized local media coverage of waring between Black and Asian drug dealing crews in the TL fairly recently. The area historically is home to many Cambodian and Filipino gangs as well as interracial local drug dealing crews consisting of Asian gang bangers.

Turk Street Warzone: One Tenderloin Block's Violent Crime Rate 35 Times Higher Than City Average

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ncisco-CA.html

SF Tenderloin Hotel Owner Sued Over Squalor, Gang Use « CBS San Francisco

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-16-2012 at 11:31 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Yes. Some of the worst ghetto neighborhoods in Oakland and SF have dominant Asian populations.

The San Antonio District in Oakland which is home to an area between 20-29th Aves known as the "Murder Dubs" or "Twomps" has more Asians than Blacks. Many blocks here are majority Asian. The Asians living here are very poor. Historically speaking, this is easily one of the worst neighborhoods in America.

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...akland-CA.html

San Antonio, Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Tenderloin in downtown San Francisco has a dominant Asian population. The TL is an island of poverty, violence, drug abuse, orphanage, alcoholism and everything else bad in affluent San Francisco. The Tenderloin is easily one of the nastiest places in Northern California (this is quite an achievement seeing as Northern California cities like Oakland, Richmond and Stockton always make the top ten most dangerous cities list). Certain blocks in the Tenderloin have a crime rate 35 times as high as the citywide average. The TL is full of drug addicts, drug dealers and gang bangers. There has been well-publicized local media coverage of waring between Black and Asian drug dealing crews in the TL fairly recently. The area historically is home to many Cambodian and Filipino gangs as well as interracial local drug dealing crews consisting of Asian gang bangers.

Turk Street Warzone: One Tenderloin Block's Violent Crime Rate 35 Times Higher Than City Average

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ncisco-CA.html

SF Tenderloin Hotel Owner Sued Over Squalor, Gang Use « CBS San Francisco
I was just going to say that area around the Murder Dubs(20s) but its not really as bad as it used to be in the 80s and 90s. Nowdays its more ugly than dangerous-obviously crime is still an issue, but its pretty family oriented if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.