Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

Austin, or as someone else mentioned Morgantown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Burlington Vermont may work for you, but the COL is up there. Perhaps a Southern college town would work.
I agree, Vermont is very pro second ammendment but also quite liberal. Not many employment opportunties but IBM has a large presence there. It's about as far away form any illegal immagrant activity as one can get. Plenty of natural food store selections and options for vegetarians.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Raleigh/Durham, NC area

Old 01-18-2012, 07:38 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Dallas looks good on paper but sucks in reality. I can't stand the people here.
LOL. Assume you feel the same about Houston - another contender. I kinda wonder about Salt Lake City? The city itself is somewhat liberal, but given the culture and its location in the heart of Utah, I would imagine there would be a strong love of guns along with an aversion to undocumented workers.

Best of luck!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:53 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Perfect for Duluth, MN - Mostly liberal, but lots of hunters with guns. Immigration not much of an issue. Lower cost of living. IT jobs good growth, although not all jobs. Affordable housing. Fun small city within easy driving distance of Mpls/St. Paul.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:57 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Also Dubuque, IA. In the Democrat belt but regular people-ish. Huge growth in IT jobs due to expansion of . . . is it IBM??? Can't remember. Low cost of living. Housing market lower cost but tight due to the above.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM

16,067 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Nashville/Knoxville? The cities themselves aren't as conservative as the areas around them.
I do know that Memphis is where the 9/11 terrorist got their DL and as a result TN cracked down on a lot of things concerning illegal immigrants, but that was a long time ago and I don't really know what the current stance is.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 PM

200 posts, read 565,217 times
Minneapolis, MN.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I think Minneapolis might be too much; I'd need to be able to travel easily back to DFW in case I had to deal with sick parents. Both of mine are getting on in years and I don't fly well. I'd like to stay within a day's drive of DFW, ideally.

Places like Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Madison (Wisconsin), Valparaiso (Indiana), Omaha, and Kansas City MO have come highly recommended too. Anybody have any thoughts on those?

Old 01-19-2012, 10:10 AM

200 posts, read 565,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think Minneapolis might be too much; I'd need to be able to travel easily back to DFW in case I had to deal with sick parents. Both of mine are getting on in years and I don't fly well. I'd like to stay within a day's drive of DFW, ideally.

Places like Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Madison (Wisconsin), Valparaiso (Indiana), Omaha, and Kansas City MO have come highly recommended too. Anybody have any thoughts on those?
If Minneapolis might be a bit too much based on Travel, than so is Madison, WI. Madison is a litle further from Dallas than Minneapolis. So is Valparaiso. The Other thing about Minneapolis to Dallas is that it is one highway (I-35). Starts in MN, and ends in TX. But I understand if you want to rule MN out. Madison is a great place otherwise. I would definitely recommend it. I personally think it is more of a collage town than a state capital. So you want a college town, Madison is it! I don't know anything about Valparaiso.

Seems like you are looking for Medium Sized cities instead of larger cities (Minneapolis, Chicago, St Louis). I forget if you ruled out Colorado, Otherwise Colorado springs might be good? I have never been to OK, KS, or MO.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.