U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:32 PM

786 posts, read 1,337,316 times

Advertisements

None Florida countie is in here.. wow, at last!

The poorest counties in America - U.S. poverty - MSN Money
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,983,005 times
What a shock. Rural counties with nothing in them are the poorest. People who choose to live in them must be happy with their monthly welfare check. Nothing is forcing them to live there.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM

92 posts, read 198,565 times
I've been to a few on the list. The level of poverty I saw is incomparable. Nothing I've seen in Miami or around Florida comes close.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,457,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
What a shock. Rural counties with nothing in them are the poorest. People who choose to live in them must be happy with their monthly welfare check. Nothing is forcing them to live there.
When you grow up in a small, rural and poor town it is very hard to move away. Most other places cost more. You need money to be independent.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 PM

29 posts, read 61,890 times
I was born and raise in Mississippi and I think every county in Mississippi need on be on this list. When I say I wanted cry and feel so bad when I went back to my home city. I don't know what they doing in Mississippi but the cities I remember is just sad now.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 AM

5,173 posts, read 7,865,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
When you grow up in a small, rural and poor town it is very hard to move away. Most other places cost more. You need money to be independent.

All these counties are probably losing population, I suspect. But it's not that hard to move away from poverty. Most of my relatives left small dirt-poor towns in the rural south (Mississipp, Arkansas, and North Carolina) during the Great Migration and ended up in New York, Baltimore, Philly, Chicago and D.C. So did millions of other black people.

And poor people from overseas pick up all the time and move to the U.S., legally or illegally, scrimp for whatevever jobs they can get, live in dangerous neighborhoods, etc etc etc so that their kids can have better lives.

I suspect leaving isn't so much a matter of money as it is despair. Long, deep and bleak despair that makes it seem as if nothing can ever change.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 AM

26,194 posts, read 38,916,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
None Florida countie is in here.. wow, at last!

The poorest counties in America - U.S. poverty - MSN Money
I'm surprised that only one county from KY is on this list.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 AM

14,894 posts, read 18,691,806 times
Unless the rankings are adjusted for COL I don't see the point of list like these.
If 25K in Podunk SD will buy you the same lifestyle that 40k will buy in Nowhere CA what makes one city more poverty stricken than the other.
I think it's stupid to base poverty levels on some arbitrary number that applies to the entire country regardless of the COL.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 AM

18,484 posts, read 39,434,448 times
I didn't look at the list, but are they including counties that have large college student populations or large prison populations? If so, there's the reason, since these people don't work.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 AM

15,812 posts, read 23,833,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I didn't look at the list, but are they including counties that have large college student populations or large prison populations? If so, there's the reason, since these people don't work.
What college student doesn't work?! Rich ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.