Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:50 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times

Advertisements

I get what the OP is saying. I'm from MN been here my whole life.

In the middle of summer when it's hot and sticky and light out til 10, I literally CANNOT fathom how in the world we deal with 0 degrees and darkness at 430 pm. But when it comes, you're used to it, make a few adjustments and life goes on as normal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How is life for homeless folk? Are there a lot more shelters per capita? If for whatever reason they can't stay at shelters, are there public indoor areas open 24/7 where people can sleep during cold nights?
My cousin works for the city of Minneapolis' human services department and tells me that it's cheaper to send the homeless elsewhere than try and feed and board them here. When they get about 15 or 20 together, they charter a nice (TVs and reclining chairs) touring bus and send them elsewhere. Usually it's San Diego because it's less likely they will return but there are a couple cities that will accept a couple hundred dollars per person to take them as well. I think Seattle was one of those.

Last edited by Ghengis; 01-23-2012 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 10:30 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Life just goes on as normal, it's not like everyone hides or things shut down. It's just more indoor during winter, but I don't sit around my house any more than I do during summer.

I think people get this idea that it's 10 degrees for months on end. It goes up and down and up and down. It snowed 7 inches on Friday, but now today it was almost 50 degrees in Chicago and basically all the snow is now gone. This winter has been mostly 35-50 degrees with two cold spells. It's actually been a very easy winter. I didn't even put a hat or scarf on until the 2nd week of January.

Things very slowly started to warm up now (after the 20th of January on average temps increase). During February the average highs rise by 10 degrees or so, and then in March and April it quickly increases.

December through February are the worst of winter, but it's certainly not ALL bad. It snows maybe 4-6 times, but usually less than 5" per storm.

We had storms with thunder and lightning last night. Winter isn't all sub-freezing temps and snow. That's just what makes the news.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,667,441 times
I was raised in NE Ohio, moved to Phoenix in my early twenties, escaped to S.F. Bay area fifteen years later. I would much rather deal with the cold temps than months of extreme heat which also does kill many people each year. I noticed that people tend to have shorter tempers in the hot climate also but northerners seem to be warmer people. Maybe I can make it home in my retirement.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
1) There isnt as many Homeless people in the north because its more liberal so there are more public shelters and welfare ect.
2) People rush from Place to place so on cold days people still go out but people are almost running to there destination so there time on the sidewalk is shorter so it seems less busy
i'd like to know where this information came from.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Places that know how to handle snow generally go about life as usual. People still go out. Maybe not as much as they would in other seasons, but they still do it. Many people use it to their advantage by ice skating, skiing, winter festivals and sledding, along with other activities.

Those that are homeless have options in terms of places to stay by way of shelters.
this. i ran 6 miles in 12 degree (0 wind chill) last week. and i wasn't the only one out there.

as far as that type of activity, i'll take those temps over 80 any.day.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Life just goes on as normal, it's not like everyone hides or things shut down. It's just more indoor during winter, but I don't sit around my house any more than I do during summer.

I think people get this idea that it's 10 degrees for months on end. It goes up and down and up and down. It snowed 7 inches on Friday, but now today it was almost 50 degrees in Chicago and basically all the snow is now gone. This winter has been mostly 35-50 degrees with two cold spells. It's actually been a very easy winter. I didn't even put a hat or scarf on until the 2nd week of January.

Things very slowly started to warm up now (after the 20th of January on average temps increase). During February the average highs rise by 10 degrees or so, and then in March and April it quickly increases.

December through February are the worst of winter, but it's certainly not ALL bad. It snows maybe 4-6 times, but usually less than 5" per storm.

We had storms with thunder and lightning last night. Winter isn't all sub-freezing temps and snow. That's just what makes the news.
another agree. we get your weather a day later. 7" of snow saturday, it's nearly 50 today. winter's been too mild actually. my snowboarding kids are pissed!

if you live in a cold climate, if you dress appropriately you'll never be cold. and if you're not cold, nothing prevents you from doing outdoor activities.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM

54 posts, read 72,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
People tend to "Bunker in" or "hibernate" a little bit, but not like it's noticable. I work in a suburban area where the restaurants are always packed, even when it's -10 out. It's more of the darkness that changes people's routines. The Twin Cities are VERY active. In the summer when it's light out til 10 pm, you see people out for walks, yard work, running, playing sports, boating, all sorts of activity. In the winter the days get dark at about 6pm so it's weird to be confined to darkness so early.
What's wrong with the dark? Wear a headlamp!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,298 times
im in minnesota and life is still the same really. only difference is just about everybody is in their cars. yes it snows, but here they are used to it. they have plow trucks ready to go. so the roads are normally clear. i remember living in philly, it would take forever for them to put salt on the roads. minnesota, you dont have to worry about that. life goes on man, people here know how to dress for the weather. like i said, you arent gonna see people walking the streets like say new york. i remember when i first moved here last year, i thought it was a ghost town. but that wasnt the case at all. clubs and bars still packed.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Well you can't use this winter as a comparison because it has been extremely mild everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.