Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

The Texas Hill Country, west of Austin, has a lot of wonderful back roads. Despite warning signs, bikers underestimate them, and are wiping out all the time on them.

Texas Hill Country: Ranch Road 337 Vanderpool to Camp Wood - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:39 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Texas Hill Country, west of Austin, has a lot of wonderful back roads. Despite warning signs, bikers underestimate them, and are wiping out all the time on them.

Texas Hill Country: Ranch Road 337 Vanderpool to Camp Wood - YouTube
We've got one of those in the Bay Area called Mines Road; followed start-to-finish, it's about 80 miles from Livermore to San Jose of switchbacks, hairpins, dramatic altitude changes... to local guys tend to refer to it as a bike road, but I killed about three sets of rear tires and two sets of brake pads out there, and I do not in any way, shape, or form regret it

Though the real fun are in the turns, there's a 5-mile stretch of straightaway, a 45-degree kink, and then another 5-mile straightaway about halfway through the run. That is absolutely not how I figured out that with new gearing (longer 5th and 6th gears) and a few engine mods, my car tops out and is remarkably stable at 180mph.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:59 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times
Kansas..........................I think I fell asleep and had a dream about sex and flying -- best scenery ever!

Old 01-24-2012, 01:49 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
My favorite stretch is from SF down to Big Sur... just non-stopped, jaw dropping beauty. If you ever need to recenter yourself and just experience something beautiful, that's the place to do it.

Blasting down PCH in my S2000 with the top down and the stereo up at sunset was one of the most wonderful experiences I've ever had... I went top-down the whole way from the end of Geary in SF, all the way back to LA in November
My favorite time of year to make that drive is late October early November when the Autumn sunsets are most spectacular. There is that one lookout point where you can pull over and see the bridge in or near Carmel before you drive over it heading southbound, absolutely breathtaking. I love the Central/Northern California coastline, even during heavy storms. Watching and listening to the ocean do it's magic crashing on the craggy coastline is therapeutic.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:09 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Loop Road, Acadia National Park:

All sizes | Park Loop Road HDR | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/anim8mealso/4036344410/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Monument Cove | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/30436878@N06/5043495379/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Acadia Park Loop Road View | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ky357/3117631553/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 01-24-2012, 03:24 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,813 times
Several great drives I can think of

1----The million dollar highway drive in Colorado into Grand Junction---driving through the many
miles of buttes certainly would give you thoughts of the Wild West.

2--- the drive into Salt Lake City----the huge descent into the breath taking views----the many
signs advising of crashing truck breakaway provides sober advice to be careful

3--- the drive from Cody Wyo into the mountains reaching elevations of around 11,000 feet

4----again Wyoming---the drive through the Grand Tetons----amazing

5----the entire drive through Oregon---this is one amazing state for scenery---its hard to get
bored as you transition to valley, desert, mountains, coastal ocean all in a brief period of
time---a truly beautiful state

I am just a huge fan of the beauty of our country----I havent been overseas, so to those of you who have thats great-----I just love traveling in our own beautiful country.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,010 times
In no particular order:

Kuhio Highway and Koke'e Road, Kauai
Icefields Parkway, Alberta (okay, not in the US but close enough)
Overseas Highway, Florida Keys
Glenn Highway, Alaska
Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina

But my favorite is the one I live on, the Richardson Highway, which runs from Valdez to Fairbanks:

Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,498 times
My three favorites:

1. Highway 1 in California: the Pacific Coast Highway. I've only driven it once, but it was absolutely beautiful. The rugged scenery, the water, the sea lions, Hearst Castle. I hope to do this one again sometime.

2. Overseas Highway: US Highway 1 in Florida from Miami to the Keys. Water, water, everywhere. You almost feel like you are on a boat with vast expanses of cerulian water to your left and right.

3. The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina and Virginia. Beautiful mountain and valley views the entire way. I will often look over and there is a hawk soaring on eye level with me. It looks different in each season. In the spring everything turns green and comes to life, in the fall the colors are beautiful, and in the winter you can really see the topography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.