Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 PM

24 posts, read 59,814 times

Advertisements

Which of these 10 college towns/cities would you most want to live in?

1) Athens, Georgia
2) Boulder, Colorado
3) Madison, Wisconsin
4) Charlottesville, Virginia
5) Oxford, Mississippi
6) Chapel Hill, North Carolina
7) Raliegh, North Carolina
8) Eugene, Oregon
9) Austin, Texas
10) Knoxville, Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Any of them. Depends on what you are looking for.

I will tell you that the NC State and UTennessee have the least attractive campuses of that group of ten but Raleigh and Knoxville are pretty nice cities over all.

The rest of them are really beautiful campuses and cool towns as well. I've been to all of them except Madison but my best friend is from there and has told me plenty about it.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Any of them. Depends on what you are looking for.

I will tell you that the NC State and UTennessee have the least attractive campuses of that group of ten but Raleigh and Knoxville are pretty nice cities over all.

The rest of them are really beautiful campuses and cool towns as well. I've been to all of them except Madison but my best friend is from there and has told me plenty about it.
I split my time with Raleigh...great town!!! Been to Madison....another great town. In my opinion, College towns that are state capitals can't be beat!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
This is how I rank these 10 college towns/cities from Most Desirable to Least Desirable:

1) Austin, Texas
2) Eugene, Oregon
3)Boulder, Colorado

4) Madison, Wisconsin
5) Raleigh, North Carolina
6)Chapel Hill, North Carolina

7) Knoxville, Tennessee
8) Athens, Georgia

9) Charlottesville, Virginia
10) Oxford, Mississippi

The top 3 are in close competition. In the end, I pick Austin because it is bigger. However, Boulder and Eugene are still great towns and are in great regions.

Anything after that is very distant from the top 3.
Madison, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill still seem decent though, just not as good as the top 3. Knoxville and Athens seems kind of bad.
Charlottesville and Oxford seem very bad.

I rank these 10 places exactly the same way for a city/town to go to for college and also if I was to pick one of those places to live and not go to college there.

Other than the actual stuff about a college and reputation for a college, what matters just as much to me is the other stuff about the city/town/neighborhood the college is in, such as the general vibe, and if there is enough stuff to do day to day to keep me inspired in that college location.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 AM

95 posts, read 201,557 times
Honestly, if you can stand the cold: Burlington, Vermont. Great city, wonderful recreational opportunities, amazing food and beer scene, only 1 hour from Montreal and 3.5 from Boston, and hippie-vibe. UVM is a top school and has a beautiful campus.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 AM

24 posts, read 59,814 times
Ann Arbor, Michigan seems like a nice place.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:07 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Ithaca NY is another one and it has 2 4 year colleges and a community college in and right outside of the city.

While it isn't just a college town, Columbus OH may be another option.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleGuy98121 View Post
Which of these 10 college towns/cities would you most want to live in?

1) Athens, Georgia
2) Boulder, Colorado
3) Madison, Wisconsin
4) Charlottesville, Virginia
5) Oxford, Mississippi
6) Chapel Hill, North Carolina
7) Raliegh, North Carolina
8) Eugene, Oregon
9) Austin, Texas
10) Knoxville, Tennessee
You're working with a skewed, incomparable group. Madison, Raleigh, Austin and Knoxville while somewhat considered "college towns" are too large to be represented solely as such. Charlottesville, Boulder and Eugene are slightly larger towns with other things going on. Athens, Oxford and Chapel Hill are true college towns with little else besides the college campus.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:27 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
You really are biased toward the Sunbelt, with seven of your ten choices being warm weather schools. And you're also biased toward public schools, with all of these cities being homes to big state schools.

Because we're living there and not paying tuition, because some of us aren't crazy about the rah-rah atmosphere of big footbal state schools, and MANY of us would rather not die in the heat six months a year and actually like four distinct seasons, you leave out quite a few nice college towns that people would prove lovely for anyone seeking a college town to live in. And many of these have the advantage of being an easy commute to a major city as well. Among them:

Burlington VT
Ithaca NY
New Paltz NY
Cambridge MA
Amherst MA
Williamstown MA
Ann Arbor MI
Princeton NJ
Oberlin OH

Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
St. Paul, Minnesota. The city has 2nd most amount of colleges per capita in the USA

Metropolitan State University
University of Minnesota -St. Paul
St. Catherine's University
College of St. Scholastica
Concordia Univesity -St. Paul
Hamline University
Macalester College
McNally Smith College of Musica
William Mitchell Law School
University of St. Thomas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.