Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:56 PM

66 posts, read 286,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
Agreed. The generalization is so far off.
wow, not in the rockies, this happens to be the very southern tip of the rockies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 AM

252 posts, read 735,793 times
I like both but I think the Canadian Rockies are better,
more rugged, in other words real "rocky" mountains.

Other than the San Juans, most Colorado rockies look
"softer", kinda dull, too easy to climb, you just hike to the summit
Try just hiking to the summit in the Canadian Rockies,
you could be in trouble if not an experienced mountaineer

That being said, US rockies I like are...

Grand Tetons
Wind River Range Wyoming
San Juan Mountains Colorado
Also the mountains in Glacier National Park Montana (they are the most
"Canadian-like", makes sense being just south of US-Canada border

Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,861 times
Mt. Robson must be the greatest overall peak in the canadian rockies, nothing in the us rockies that compares

http://images.summitpost.org/original/813650.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...icial_Park.JPG

Old 07-25-2015, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,388 times
Apparently, Jbear is has not been all over the Colorado rockies. I agree the San Juan's are amazing, but don't forget to check out the swatch range, even Indian Peaks wilderness, which is in the Front Range. There are tons of amazing areas outside go the San Juan's in the Colorado Rockies, just do your research. At the end of the day the Rocky Mountain in both counties are amazing. You might prefer one region over another , to say there is only one mountain range in CO is worth a **** is complete ignorance!

Old 07-25-2015, 04:37 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,538 times
The best mountains in the lower 48 are in Montana and Washington.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:04 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbroni View Post
Apparently, Jbear is has not been all over the Colorado rockies. I agree the San Juan's are amazing, but don't forget to check out the swatch range, even Indian Peaks wilderness, which is in the Front Range. There are tons of amazing areas outside go the San Juan's in the Colorado Rockies, just do your research. At the end of the day the Rocky Mountain in both counties are amazing. You might prefer one region over another , to say there is only one mountain range in CO is worth a **** is complete ignorance!
While Colorado has nice looking mountains in other parts (I like Pikes and Longs on the Front Range), none in my mind really compare to the San Juans. I can't think of another mountain town in the US or Canada that is as cool as Telluride with its setting in the box canyon with striking peaks in the background and canyon walls covered in aspen forest abutting the town. Another thing I love about the San Juans that makes it my favorite mountain region is it rises above the Colorado Plateau to the west. Giving close access to the Mighty Five National Parks in Utah with the other planetary scenery.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:09 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
To me, I'm a fan of uplift mountains over volcanic, such as the Sangre de Christo range in Colorado. I also love the Wasatch in Utah and Idaho's Sawtooth ranges. Can't forget the northern Rockies in Montana either.

As an American, I must admit I think the Canadian Rockies are more impressive than ours.

Last edited by Kar54; 07-27-2015 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-26-2020, 09:30 PM

156 posts, read 174,391 times
The Canadian Rockies destroy their American counterparts.. Don't get me wrong, the American Rockies are beautiful, but they simply can't compare with the stunning beauty of the Canadian... There's a number of reasons that the Canadian Rockies look more impressive. -- Number one they rise from an overall lower elevation, so you can actually see significantly more of the mountain before you; unlike most of the mountains in Colorado or Wyoming which rise from an elevation of nearly 6000 ft.
Number 2, the Canadian Rockies rise at more jagged angles making for much more drastic rise in elevation over a short distance, unlike many of the gradual slopes of the American Rockies... Lastly, the Canadian receive much more precipitation, so they're more green and lush...
The Canadian Rockies are more on par with the European Alps; they're simply on another level... Sorry America!

Old 07-26-2020, 09:55 PM

65 posts, read 41,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Mt. Robson must be the greatest overall peak in the canadian rockies, nothing in the us rockies that compares

http://images.summitpost.org/original/813650.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...icial_Park.JPG
Ah Mt Robson. I remember it when we visited Jasper and Banff National Parks. Simply stunning. The Canadian Rockies are better than their American counterparts by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.