Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Super Bowl city?
Miami/Miami Gardens 17 9.50%
New Orleans 41 22.91%
Los Angeles/Pasadena 9 5.03%
Tampa 13 7.26%
San Diego 10 5.59%
Phoenix/Glendale 6 3.35%
Houston 10 5.59%
Detroit 6 3.35%
Atlanta 19 10.61%
Minneapolis 7 3.91%
Jacksonville 2 1.12%
San Francisco/Palo Alto 6 3.35%
Dallas/Arlington 10 5.59%
Indianapolis 12 6.70%
New York/East Rutherford 11 6.15%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:34 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Thats true but Dallas screwed themselves when they opted not to build a stadium within the city limits. With Arlington being right next to FTW, theres no way that FTW would not try to stage some of the events there. With ESPN in town, they almost became the face of the North Texas superbowl.
Dallas did screw itself but Jerry Jones never wanted it in Dallas in the first place. He wanted the suburbs. Especially for parking. Dallas wanted the stadium, I believe, at Fair Park which was going to be connected at DART. Arlington however has no mass transit system. The only way you can get to the stadium is to drive. Jerry loved that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
The Super Bowl is one of the biggest events in America and it occurs in the middle of winter. The ideal host city has warm weather and lots of amenities so it will be a fun destination, and in a perfect world those amenities are all centrally located. It has the infrastructure needed to deal with an influx of tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of visitors. The stadium itself has to be at least decent and there is a preference for domes so weather is not a factor for the actual game.

I've been to most of the cities listed, and while I have never been to a super bowl, I have been to several large college bowl games which offer a similar (though smaller) experience.

To me, New Orleans is the best host city. It has legendary nightlife that is walkable. It has mild weather (though not as spectacular as the weather in Southern Florida and So Cal). It has plenty of hotels to host the visitors. Public transportation isn't great, but everything is so condensed that it isn't a big deal. The Superdome is a cool venue and is a dome so even if there is bad weather everyone will be comfortable for the game. And it has the vibe that just makes it cool.

Miami and LA are probably next. They both offer beautiful weather and lots of fun/excitement. The problem with them is that things are spread out, making a less fun experience for visitors. And LA doesn't have an NFL team, so hosting the NFL championship is a bit weird. Plus outside venues run the risk of rain.

Those three are the usual suspects, but with good reason. They work the best. After those, there are several other cities that are decent choices.

San Diego, Tampa and Phoenix are all cities that offer great winter weather and a decent amount of attractions/entertainment. I think (but am not sure) that they have enough hotel rooms to satisfy everyone--has the hotel issue come up in SD or Tampa? San Diego and Tampa are a bit on the small side, and Phoenix is a bit spread out, and none of them are as "sexy" as New Orleans, Miami or LA, but they work.

Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas generally offer decent weather (although unfortunately for both Dallas and Atlanta there was bad weather last time they hosted). They have domed stadiums so the game itself isn't affected by the weather. They have plenty of hotel rooms and some nightlife, though none of them are great "destination" cities.

To me, the cold weather cities just don't make much sense. Who wants to go to Detroit, Indy, or Minneapolis in the winter, especially when you are dropping major coin? Those simply are not major destinations. New York is of course an awesome city, but who the heck wants to sit outside in snow or ice for a four-five hour production for the ones that are not?

Jacksonville just didn't have the infrastructure for it. Maybe if it it continues to grow. Nashville has been mentioned a few times, but the stadium is outside and it would probably also struggle to host everyone.

One that hasn't been discussed much is DC. Tons of stuff to do, but the weather would be a major issue. Fed Ex field lacks personality and is in the middle of nowhere, but it is a modern stadium and all of the other attractions are easily walkable or accessible by public transportation.

Last edited by po-boy; 01-31-2012 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: edited to put Tampa in same category as San Diego and Phoenix.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Arden Hills

Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas did screw itself but Jerry Jones never wanted it in Dallas in the first place. He wanted the suburbs. Especially for parking. Dallas wanted the stadium, I believe, at Fair Park which was going to be connected at DART. Arlington however has no mass transit system. The only way you can get to the stadium is to drive. Jerry loved that.
That is so crazy. Jerry needs to get his mind checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The problem is, people are so fixated on Downtown being the main meeting place for all activities. Why can't be some other district? I remember they called the last 2 Superbowl's in Miami the South Florida Super Bowls.
I agree. the idea of downtowns as the center for everything is so antiquated.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I agree. the idea of downtowns as the center for everything is so antiquated.
That's just how it is in older cities. I like it.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's just how it is in older cities. I like it.
I am not saying its bad, I am saying the idea that dt must have all the entertainment is antiquated.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I am not saying its bad, I am saying the idea that dt must have all the entertainment is antiquated.
Well that idea isn't the case for many many cities these days. Entertainment in a dense area is the best scenario, and downtown is normally the most structurally dense area in American cities.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Well that idea isn't the case for many many cities these days. Entertainment in a dense area is the best scenario, and downtown is normally the most structurally dense area in American cities.
again I am not saying it is not.

i am saying that the idea that it must be so is antiquated. stop preaching about the joys of a good downtown, you think I have never heard that song before?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
again I am not saying it is not.

i am saying that the idea that it must be so is antiquated. stop preaching about the joys of a good downtown, you think I have never heard that song before?
You act like the idea is being pushed by everyone in the country. Or if Houston's downtown had it all you wouldn't be saying this..?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
You act like the idea is being pushed by everyone in the country. Or if Houston's downtown had it all you wouldn't be saying this..?
chill out. all I am saying is that the idea that all the fun must be downtown is stupid. take it however the hell you want it but in some areas midtowns and uptowns are more fun.

and I have lived in more than 20 cities and have visited hundreds. I am tired of you all putting Houston in my ****ing mouth everytime I make a comment. i hate having to defend the city all the darn time. I can have an opinion without it having to come back to Houston.

Don't know why it is so important that downtown has to be the most fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.