Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
No, not Rochester NY.... I grew up there, trust me, it is NOT what they are looking for, except the seasons part.

Terrible nightlife, fair music scene at best, food scene is not very good, race relations are so so, the taxes are very high (with not much to show for them).

Only Minneapolis would work from your list and I would add Denver or Pittsburgh
I would look into Columbus much more before writing it off. The central city area has a very good food scene, its now one of the more diverse metros in the region, very good music scene (my family in Pittsburgh travels to columbus for shows constantly). Due to columbus' growing economy (past 20 years) things are very different than they were before. The city is one of the more progressive/liberal cities in the region and has excellent track record of race relations. Seriously (if you are set on season) it should be on your short list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 AM

45 posts, read 75,256 times
For a young professional AA, Atlanta or DC.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
I would look into Columbus much more before writing it off. The central city area has a very good food scene, its now one of the more diverse metros in the region, very good music scene (my family in Pittsburgh travels to columbus for shows constantly). Due to columbus' growing economy (past 20 years) things are very different than they were before. The city is one of the more progressive/liberal cities in the region and has excellent track record of race relations. Seriously (if you are set on season) it should be on your short list.
I totally agree and it is a hidden gem for Black professionals. It doesn't hurt that it is a top 20 city in terms of population too. Ohio State is the biggest college/university in the country and I believe that it has awarded more PhD's that any other institution of higher learning to African Americans in the US. So, don't sleep on Columbus....

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-01-2012 at 04:54 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 04:27 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Los Angeles.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
I did a search and couldn't find anything so if this thread has been done before please direct me to it : )

A little about me:
19 yrs old
Houston, TX (whoop whoop)
African American
Female
Plan on being in the business management field, or something like that

Which city do YOU THINK has the most to offer in regards to:
Food
Nightlife
Good Race Relations
Somewhat Affordable
Music (I love a large variety)
Friendly People
Oh yea, and all four season especially winter since Houston lacks this horribly

Can't really think of anything else at the moment. Anyways, if you have any suggestion please feel free
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywithacold View Post
For a young professional AA, Atlanta or DC.
Hi Kbenoit, believe it or not I think the Monkey has the right idea!

Washington DC probably offers the 4 season climate you are looking for and also good long term job opportunities. There is also quite alot of things to do in the Maryland-Virginia area.

However, DC is probably a bit expensive so the Atlanta area may be a better bet. Certainly the Atlanta area is very green and there are mountains to the north of the city. And like Houston, you can get a nice house for your money.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 PM

116 posts, read 232,736 times
Thanks guys! My mom is going to visit my cousin who just moved to atlanta in march. So I'll ask her what she thinks of it afterwards. I wish I could go, unfortunately I have school. : ( (hmm maybe I can get her to go during spring break, I'll see)

Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 PM

116 posts, read 232,736 times
Okay so I just talked to her and I think I'm gonna go with her! So I might get to actually go to atlanta and see what it looks like. I've always wanted to go!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,924 times
Dallas or Atlanta

Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 PM

157 posts, read 165,553 times
San Francisco

Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
San Francisco
Besides the COL, it probably would work. I believe that there are actually more Black males than Black female in that metro. Seattle and I believe Denver are similar in that regard.

Here's a great website that could help the OP make a decision: African American Population Demographics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.