Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
In terms of a mid-size city, I'd say Portland
Agree - people forget Portland. To top it off, rail within the core of the city is free.

Core coverage:

TriMet: Portland City Center and Free Rail Zone Map

Metro:

TriMet: System Map

Stock Photography: Max public transport, Portland OR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 01:18 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
New York is without peers in the United States. After that, DC is an up and comer, and in my opinion is clearly already # 2. When the Metro is completely built out, and all of the light rail is in place, it will probably be closer to NYC than it will be to the rest of the cities people have mentioned. Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia, are all very good, but lacking in certain respects that can require a bit more adjustment to successfully live car free. The relative rankings of this tier is also somewhat dependent on particular user need.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:59 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
I'd imagine that If Portland had 22 million people too, and a correspondingly expanded transit system, it would really give NYC a run for its money. I was an urban planning geek long before I joined this site, and was really impressed with the place when I visited.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:08 AM

896 posts, read 1,168,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I'd imagine that If Portland had 22 million people too, and a correspondingly expanded transit system, it would really give NYC a run for its money. I was an urban planning geek long before I joined this site, and was really impressed with the place when I visited.
I agree I visited the city a few weeks ago, what makes people downplay Portland is that it's such a small city, but nevertheless if there's a model on how to functionally run a small metro it should be Portland.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 AM

35 posts, read 68,573 times
Portland, Oregon is a great city and a very underrated city. It's funny to think that Portland has way better public transportation than Seattle does.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:44 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree. I lived in NYC and public transportation just isn't as convenient as driving a car.
I wouldn't drive in NYC. All that stop and go isn't good for your car.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:03 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EwingOil View Post
Portland, Oregon is a great city and a very underrated city. It's funny to think that Portland has way better public transportation than Seattle does.
Underrated how? In rail? Maybe. Underrated altogether? No way.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 AM

35 posts, read 68,573 times
Washington, D.C. Always seems to have a bright future being that it is our nations Capitol. So I would have to think that D.C.'s public transportation is only going to get better with time. New York will probably always be #1 but D.C. might be able to inch closer being that they have all that federal money and all of those blank checks that they can write. Chicago seems pretty solid and I'm sure that Boston and Philly will both improve with time as well. D.C. sure seems to have a big advantage though. All of these are great cities though. It's nice to not have to drive everywhere and be stuck in traffic all the time like in cities like Los Angeles and Seattle.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post

Though at that scale the system would need much higher capacities; Trying putting a million people on those light rail lines and you would see the difference. (remember one subway train may be more than ten times the volume of the average train in portland, and is faster and shorter headways)

But agree based on my admittedly limited experience it is quite good and very much an outlier for the US given its size, feels almost eurpoean in this sense.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
NYC by far.

DC is also good but the region is much more sprawled out and the metro cannot cover it all. Also, the trains don't run 24/7 like New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.