Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

The Boston area is lighter because 50-70% say Tonic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 10:44 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
"Tonic"......isn't that cowboy for medicine?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM

288 posts, read 352,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
How do you figure that, BlkG?
That was kinda my impression too after living in Texas for a little over 10 years. I can honestly say that I have never met anyone who would refer to any dark soft drink as "coke", not even among the older generation. But I did hear people saying something like, "We say coke down here." But really most of the time they would either say "drink" or call it by its brand like Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper etc. I'm not a regular coke drinker but in all the restaurants I've ever eaten if I asked for a coke they brought coca-cola, I'm yet to encounter a waiter who would ask "What kind?"

Old 02-05-2012, 11:30 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QweffL View Post
That was kinda my impression too after living in Texas for a little over 10 years. I can honestly say that I have never met anyone who would refer to any dark soft drink as "coke", not even among the older generation. But I did hear people saying something like, "We say coke down here." But really most of the time they would either say "drink" or call it by its brand like Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper etc. I'm not a regular coke drinker but in all the restaurants I've ever eaten if I asked for a coke they brought coca-cola, I'm yet to encounter a waiter who would ask "What kind?"
Good post...but a key question would be where do you live and what sorta places do you frequent which serve soft-drinks? I mean, do you you live in a major city. And even race (as African Americans are more likely to say "soda" than "coke".). Age also factors into it!

This is NOT facitious in the least, but it does have a bearing on the experience!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:37 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Boston area is lighter because 50-70% say Tonic
Yeah, I was surprised to see Boston even lightly in the "soda" category for that reason.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 PM

284 posts, read 499,649 times
Quote:
How do you figure that, BlkG?

In normal conversation in Texas, if somebody says something like "y'all wanna go get a coke..?" Then chances are overwhelming that those hearing the question KNOW it isn't meant as to a Coca-Cola nor its varities. Likewise, if somebody asks a guest if they "want a coke"...then it is generally understood to mean a soft-drink of some sort. Even further, go into a regular cafe or whatever in the state, and a customer asks "What kinda cokes y'all got.?...and if the waiter or waitress is a native Texan? -- they just take for granted that the person is asking about the said variety of soft-drinks.

Now you gonna tell me I am wrong on this 'un, my friend?
Yep, when I lived in MS we had that conversation a lot. I learned real fast that when someone said, "Y'all want a coke?" they were asking what kind of soda I wanted.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
Yep, when I lived in MS we had that conversation a lot. I learned real fast that when someone said, "Y'all want a coke?" they were asking what kind of soda I wanted.
EXACTLY right, wsc! It is simply a matter of historical regional idiom...and a "cool" thing (IMHO) in terms of natural, national, diversity!

Old 02-05-2012, 01:24 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
I worked in Yosemite N.P. during the summer while in college. There were tons of other college students from all over the country working there - especially from Michigan. Whenever one of them would refer to soda as "pahp" I knew immediately where they were from. I loved to point out they had an accent just to rile them - they'd swear up and down they didn't (and that we Californians were the ones who talked funny ).

Oh, my older relatives on my dad's side from Oklahoma and Arkansas didn't say "coke", they would ask if you wanted a "cold drank".

Old 02-05-2012, 01:55 PM

288 posts, read 352,057 times
Quote:
Good post...but a key question would be where do you live and what sorta places do you frequent which serve soft-drinks? I mean, do you you live in a major city. And even race (as African Americans are more likely to say "soda" than "coke".). Age also factors into it!

This is NOT facitious in the least, but it does have a bearing on the experience!
Out of these 10 years I lived mainly in Corpus Christi and in a small town between CC and SA. Have been to SA and Houston a lot. Right now I live in West Texas. And I haven't heard anyone using "coke" to describe something other than coca-cola in any of these places, although I have met people who claimed they did

I actually haven't noticed a lot of people using the term "soda" either, I would say "drink" was probably the most commonly used term. And occasionally you'd hear transplants from Midwest saying "pop"

Old 02-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QweffL View Post
Out of these 10 years I lived mainly in Corpus Christi and in a small town between CC and SA. Have been to SA and Houston a lot. Right now I live in West Texas. And I haven't heard anyone using "coke" to describe something other than coca-cola in any of these places, although I have met people who claimed they did

I actually haven't noticed a lot of people using the term "soda" either, I would say "drink" was probably the most commonly used term. And occasionally you'd hear transplants from Midwest saying "pop"
I guess it comes down to our experiences (and perhaps, ages) are just different. Still though, I stand behind that my own (opinion) backs up that -- all in all - "coke" is the preferred -- and most "oft understood" generic term for a "soft-drink" in Texas.

If one says "coke" in Texas...in most contexts? Then it is understood. Further, most native Texans know HOW to use it and how it is natual as the use of "y'all". Hell, far as that goes...they so often blendes! For instance? "Y'all wanna coke"..?"

On the other hand? "Hey, you guys want a soda"?

Uhhhhh, now tell me which a true Texan/Southerner would really understand...having grown up with it...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.