Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times

Advertisements

Today, I was reading an a article about people protesting Gentrification. After I read it, I scrolled down, read the comments, and got shocked from what I seen. People were posting comments saying.....

"Why are they protesting Gentrification?"

"There is no point to this protest"

"Why do poor people keep whining about Gentrification?"

It didn't make any sense to me.
Wouldn't you be mad If the city built project housing right next door to you, ultimately bringing down your property values?
I would be more than mad.

So, why do people expect the poor not to get angry about being priced out?

Also, why do people complain about crime when they are just rooting for Gentrification anyways? Wouldn't crime be a good thing because it brings the property values down? It's the low rents that attract young professionals to the city.

If you are rooting for Gentrification why complain about crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
When gentrification hit Seattle's Central District, is wasn't the residents that were complaining. They were busy selling their houses at a huge profit and moving to the suburbs. It was govt. agencies and the business and services that catered to that select population that did all of the complaining.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Anti-gentrification is discrimination.

I feel any American has the right to live in any neighborhood regardless of race, class, creed, ethnicity, or sexuality.

Gentrification basically boils down to, "we dont want X people in our neighborhood."

Communities can stop gentrification if they work together. They can pool money and buy vacant houses stopping them from going on the market. However, they have no right to complain if someone buys a house on the market and improves it.

People in poor neighborhoods arent the only ones entitled to affordable housing.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Why complain about crime?

Who roots for crime because it might make your rent cheaper???

Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default Why do people expect poor peope to get out of their neighborhoods peacefully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Today, I was reading an a article about people protesting Gentrification. After I read it, I scrolled down, read the comments, and got shocked from what I seen. People were posting comments saying.....

"Why are they protesting Gentrification?"

"There is no point to this protest"

"Why do poor people keep whining about Gentrification?"

It didn't make any sense to me.
Wouldn't you be mad If the city built project housing right next door to you, ultimately bringing down your property values?
I would be more than mad.

So, why do people expect the poor not to get angry about being priced out?

Also, why do people complain about crime when they are just rooting for Gentrification anyways? Wouldn't crime be a good thing because it brings the property values down? It's the low rents that attract young professionals to the city.

If you are rooting for Gentrification why complain about crime?
Well how exactly can you stop gentrification from happening in the first place? Does a city completely stop all public services and try to make a neighborhood as miserable as possible so no one wants to live there?

I have a feeling that if a city did totally trash a neighborhood to keep it poor, the same people who are against gentrification would be crying you are neglecting us!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Anti-gentrification is discrimination.

I feel any American has the right to live in any neighborhood regardless of race, class, creed, ethnicity, or sexuality.

Gentrification basically boils down to, "we dont want X people in our neighborhood."

Communities can stop gentrification if they work together. They can pool money and buy vacant houses stopping them from going on the market. However, they have no right to complain if someone buys a house on the market and improves it.

People in poor neighborhoods arent the only ones entitled to affordable housing.
But, the poor end up getting priced out. That's basically like the rich saying "we don't want X people in our neighborhood."

Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Why complain about crime?

Who roots for crime because it might make your rent cheaper???
And therein lies the problem.

Poor =/= crime.

High concentrations of people who are poor within the same area and has neglected city services = crime.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Poor =/= crime
I disagree, West VA is very poor but almost has no crime.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
I disagree, West VA is very poor but almost has no crime.
Lol, you're agreeing with me then.

What I meant was poor does not equal crime.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I don't like crime, why would young college students purposely move to bad neighborhoods? Gasp... they don't. Not saying poor equals crime, but in the city, it normally does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.