Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 AM

208 posts, read 837,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, most sane people don't pick up hitchhikers because they are a hinderance to them.
The people inclined to pick up such people are generally off their rocker.
i heard some interesting stories about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 PM

151 posts, read 366,612 times
It was especially dangerous in the 70's

Old 02-08-2012, 10:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Sometimes I hitchhike in the smokies when I want a one -way hike. It is ridicuolous the number of people who pass me by and I am a frumpy looking female. Maybe if my backpack were bigger I'd seem less suspicious.

On the less travelled roads it is ironically easier to get a ride.

My father tells stories of hitchhiking to Berkley in the 40s. I think it was much more acceptable then.
A lot of people just feel uncomfortable with a stranger in the car with them, having to make small talk and all of that.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
I would greatly appreciate informative answers. But I am seriously considering hitchhiking (from NJ to California---with dozens of stops along the way.) The reasoning behind it are irrelevant. But I've collected friends from Minnesota, Denver, Utah, LA, etc. and would have been giving hitchhiking some serious thought.
But in the year 2012, is it really that dangerous?
I've known people who had done it, and their stories seem to not be so horrific.
Like, it wasn't like someone was chasing them with a chainsaw. (I'm being sarcastic, but you get what I mean.)

Has anyone hitchhiked or know someone who has in the 2000s??

Interested in hearing all your stories. I'll chime in from time to tome as well.

Thanks ya'll!!!

What's so safe about 2012? What about 2012 makes it okay to get in a car with a complete stranger?

Why does it matter if it's in the 2000s?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
There was a time that I liked to drive places by myself but we are in a different time right now. We recently had a lady murdered in our area and the only thing she did was stop for gas at a station that also had a drunk customer. He seems to have staked out the place looking for a victim. He ran her off the road and raped her and then killed her with a baseball bat. Later another lady told about his following her also. I guess she was smart enough not to be isolated from other traffic.

But even in a car traveling, I think I have missed bad times because my guardian angel was working overtime. I think I would save the money and either get one of those one month bus passes or a train pass that allows one to stop and then continue traveling.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
What's so safe about 2012? What about 2012 makes it okay to get in a car with a complete stranger?

Why does it matter if it's in the 2000s?
Its not that common in our time so I am trying to see what are peoples personal experience with hitchhiking in the 21st century.

GET IT NOW!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There was a time that I liked to drive places by myself but we are in a different time right now. We recently had a lady murdered in our area and the only thing she did was stop for gas at a station that also had a drunk customer. He seems to have staked out the place looking for a victim. He ran her off the road and raped her and then killed her with a baseball bat. Later another lady told about his following her also. I guess she was smart enough not to be isolated from other traffic.

But even in a car traveling, I think I have missed bad times because my guardian angel was working overtime. I think I would save the money and either get one of those one month bus passes or a train pass that allows one to stop and then continue traveling.

Are those one month bus passes unlimited??? Thanks for the info. I'm trying to not let the allure and "romanticism" of hitchhiking across this great country cloud my judgment. I've taken buses before...and trains, and cars cross-country. Might consider that again.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:29 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post

Despite all the negatives about my job over the last year, cool kids like this and those pulling their arms down imitating a truck horn still bring smiles to my face.

Do kids still do it these days? I remember when I was a kid, we always used to get the truck drivers to beep their horns

Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
Its not that common in our time so I am trying to see what are peoples personal experience with hitchhiking in the 21st century.

GET IT NOW!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Are those one month bus passes unlimited??? Thanks for the info. I'm trying to not let the allure and "romanticism" of hitchhiking across this great country cloud my judgment. I've taken buses before...and trains, and cars cross-country. Might consider that again.

It isn't the 60s anymore, it is a cool thing to look back on the past and hear people's stories, but times have changed and here in USA we just don't hitch-hike.

In 30 years, the youth will probably look back on some of the things we do on a regular basis and think it is awesome too. Is hitch hiking really any better than flying or taking a bus? What's the difference besides being able to brag about it? In the end, you're sitting next to a person.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It isn't the 60s anymore, it is a cool thing to look back on the past and hear people's stories, but times have changed and here in USA we just don't hitch-hike.

In 30 years, the youth will probably look back on some of the things we do on a regular basis and think it is awesome too. Is hitch hiking really any better than flying or taking a bus? What's the difference besides being able to brag about it? In the end, you're sitting next to a person.
You're right. You speak the truth.
Besides I found out you can purchase a "Discovery Pass" from GreyHound which kinda works like a season-pass. You can go anywhere in America and Canada unlimited. They come in 7 days, 24 days, etc. I wanted to buy the two month pass. It cost $550, but I can get a temp job here and use the money to buy it. I think that'll work. Because then I don't have to worry about hitchhiking and I can visit all my friends and once again see this great continent of North America.

Two months is a great length of time to visit a lot of places.
I just wish people on this forum would have shared with me there hitchhiking stories.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 AM

Well its official. I'm hitching this month. I hope you dont read about me in the news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.