Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 01:07 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,341,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I've never heard of Binghamton..
Binghamton...located in western Upstate New York, around Ithaca, Syracuse, and Albany. As to other cities I was shockingly impressed by, I'll put down Evansville. For a city dwarfed by three other large cities (St. Louis, Indy, and Louisville), Evansville I was expecting to be just a little down. But it has a real downtown...it definitely qualifies as a real city..a very nice city along the Ohio River. Albuquerque also impressed me..its downtown for a mid-sized city is architecturally beautiful and relatively impressive, much more than I expected. Tulsa surprised me. It has a pretty impressive downtown area, much moreso IMO than Oklahoma City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 09:41 AM

30 posts, read 114,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Binghamton...located in western Upstate New York, around Ithaca, Syracuse, and Albany. As to other cities I was shockingly impressed by, I'll put down Evansville. For a city dwarfed by three other large cities (St. Louis, Indy, and Louisville), Evansville I was expecting to be just a little down. But it has a real downtown...it definitely qualifies as a real city..a very nice city along the Ohio River. Albuquerque also impressed me..its downtown for a mid-sized city is architecturally beautiful and relatively impressive, much more than I expected. Tulsa surprised me. It has a pretty impressive downtown area, much moreso IMO than Oklahoma City.
I drove from Durango to Albuquerque on my way home to St. Louis. I would say that Albuquerque is definitely a nice city... bigger than I expected. My sister-in-law is from Farmington, NM and always told me there are some really great restaurants there. Next time I go, I'll have to hit some genuine New Mexican cuisine!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,002,908 times
Quote:
I agree with you about Evansville. There was more there than I initially expected when I went.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
A weekend can harldy give you time to make an evaluation.
Same goes for Denver. Nice areas and complete Hell-hole areas. Denver, while decent, certainly has MANY problems, same as Pittsburgh. So before you go bashing Pittsburgh and Chicago (again), look no further than your hometown.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:30 AM

9,333 posts, read 20,677,770 times
The original poster mentioned Minneapolis, and I concur. Minneapolis is a world class city. It seems almost all the best managed and planned cities are in the most inhospitable climates. What a shame. For southern cities, not so much a city, but a small town, I have to mention Bisbee Arizona. What a beautiful little place on the Mexican border. I was blown away by it.

From the disappointment side, I have to mention Missoula Montana. I heard so many wonderful things about it: when I drove in I was shocked by how ugly it was.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:06 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,499,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
I've got to try a Primenti (sp?) Brothers sandwich. I've heard those are to die for.
Went there the first time I visited Pittsburgh. Had one of their fabulous sandwiches (with the french fries worked right into the sandwich) and washed it down with a couple Iron Cities (they pronounced it "Arn City").

Yum! Can't wait to go back!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:32 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,673,321 times
Default Albuquerque!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorpc View Post
I drove from Durango to Albuquerque on my way home to St. Louis. I would say that Albuquerque is definitely a nice city... bigger than I expected. My sister-in-law is from Farmington, NM and always told me there are some really great restaurants there. Next time I go, I'll have to hit some genuine New Mexican cuisine!
I just lived for four years in Albuquerque - I miss it already. I didn't rank it on my list earlier because I lived there and know how great it is, but to everyone that has mentioned ABQ on this...you guys are 100% correct - just a great town. Each and every one of the folks that came to visit me in ABQ absolutely loved the place.

Albuquerque is one of the gems of the Southwest.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,673,321 times
Default Tulsa

Quote:
Tulsa surprised me. It has a pretty impressive downtown area...
This is a great call. Tulsa has GOT to be one of the more underrated cities in the US. Its downtown and natural water setting are both just very pretty.

Tulsa is a very nice mid-sized city and certainly very underrated.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:12 PM

690 posts, read 2,623,459 times
I'd have to say Chicago and New Orleans (pre-Katrina).

I expected Chicago to be ugly, windy, and crowded, and wound up loving it. Very cool, diverse place with great people and terrific food! Had a great time there and would love to go back.

I fell in love with New Orleans immediately. IMO, it's one of the few "larger" cities that has such a distinct identity that if someone took me there blindfolded, I'd know where I was as soon as I took the blindfold off without being told. Rich in culture and history, all walks of life to meet and visit with, very open minded and "live and let live" attitudes, and beautiful to look at.

Plus, you can walk down the street drinking a Hurricane!

Great places, both, that I was very impressed with.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:22 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,717,418 times
^ Chicago isn't called the windy city for being windy though, which many people think before they go

Yeah, i was also really impressed by Tulsa, great city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.