U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 PM

7,652 posts, read 17,215,003 times

Advertisements

Has anybody noticed that the Southern United States (I'm thinking of states like Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana) shares a lot in common, culturally, with Mexico, that the rest of the U.S. does not?

I'm thinking:

1) Culture of honor. This is still strong in many areas of the South; the higher murder rates in the South were tied to a "culture of honor" in which an insult had to be returned swiftly and violently. This is also, I think, true of Mexico to a degree much greater than that of most of the U.S.

2) Hospitality. The Southerners have the reputation of being the most hospitable in the U.S. Mexicans (in Mexico) also have a famous hospitality, which at least in my experience is real. Social interactions with Southerners remind me of social interactions with Mexicans (again, from Mexico), in their pleasantness.

3) Religiosity. Although the two regions have a different religious base (Protestantism over most of the Southern U.S. vs. Catholicism in Mexico, though Protestantism is gaining ground there), Mexicans outside the large cities are often very religious, and religious penetrates the culture in a much different and stronger way than it does in the northern U.S. Mexicans say "Dios te bendiga" (God bless you) all the time. I've only heard Southerners say this outside of official religious contexts in the way that Mexicans do all the time.

4) Slowness. Things are famously more slow in the South. Well, they are in Mexico, too.

What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:53 PM

5,916 posts, read 12,275,842 times
Great point!

It is something that I have thought about when I was looking at moving to Texas. It always seemed, that although it was not always perfect there has been a blending, merging, and mixing of southern anglo and Mexican traditions.

In fact I'm kind of surprised that you opened this thread without mentioning Texas. Its the obvious example of blending southern and Mexican heritage.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 PM

158 posts, read 344,620 times
Texas and Mexico..... YES. The rest of the South and Mexico.... NO.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:28 AM

14,260 posts, read 25,432,867 times
I agree with John. I don't see the similarities between Mexico and The South outside of Texas either. And before people say there isn't much in common with Texas and Mexico either, much of South and West Texas resembles Northern Mexico. It's there Southern brethren in which South and West Texas don't resemble.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:25 AM

5,519 posts, read 8,851,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAustin View Post
Texas and Mexico..... YES. The rest of the South and Mexico.... NO.

There are obviously Mexican influences in Texas, but overall it is a western Southern state in a similar mold of Oklahoma/Arkansas and Louisiana (to a lesser degree).

Old 02-06-2012, 03:55 AM

14,260 posts, read 25,432,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

There are obviously Mexican influences in Texas, but overall it is a western Southern state in a similar mold of Oklahoma/Arkansas and Louisiana (to a lesser degree).
To a considerably lesser degree.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 AM

24,682 posts, read 52,594,823 times
So you think the states you mention have more in common with Mexico than Arizona, New Mexico and Southern Texas?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 AM

8,931 posts, read 13,494,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Spot on, B&C.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM

8,931 posts, read 13,494,928 times
Aside from number 1 (which I would hardly say is exclusive to the south and Mexico), the points that the OP brought up are easily attributed to all of the south, and not just Texas. Still, I wouldn't make too much of these parallels.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:11 PM

737 posts, read 1,567,120 times
I think many in the south are trying to make themselves Mexico economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.