U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:12 PM

570 posts, read 1,266,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Do you think you're limiting yourself to opportunities and over 1/2 of the US?
What I mean by that, is living in places where say, you get more than a foot of snow on average winters, the temperature dips below freezing most nights between late Nov and mid March and 3 months of non melting snow cover is the norm?
I sometimes second guess myself about this, since living in Western WA. is basically a moderate to warm winter weather climate.
Just about all of my loved ones are back east, but I don't know about living in the Northeast, since you have 3 months worth of solid winter weather.
Or the South, where you have winters that are, at least in the mid south and places like NC, similar to Western WA winters, but they're way too redneck and racist for me (maybe not KKK like racist, but still).
Again, do you wonder if you're limiting yourself by just living in places where it doesn't snow regularly?
So many things wrong with this
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:49 PM

24,403 posts, read 38,387,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To the OP, Google the following cities in NC:

Asheville
Durham
Chapel Hill
Carrboro

Then actually read about them and reassess....OK??
Quote:
???
if your point is the winter weather is warmer than it is in Western WA, I seriously doubt that. The highs may be a little higher, but it dips below freezing a lot more in those cities.

My point is toward the racist/redneck reference...

Old 02-07-2012, 01:01 PM

17,932 posts, read 22,360,901 times
Toughen up, buttercup. Your ancestors are laughing at you.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM

14,914 posts, read 18,711,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
We are?
At least he didn't say we were ignorant and backwards!
Some of the stereotyping in this forum is so pathetic, makes you wonder who really is stuck back in time.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:36 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,411,146 times
You are limiting yourself more with your false stereotypes than with your weather preferences. But, hey, have at it. The only person you are hurting is yourself.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 PM

14,870 posts, read 20,223,764 times
Have you looked into coastal South Carolina?
Seriously if i was a hardcore snowbird i would be in a oceanfront community somewhere between Charleston and Hilton Head

Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,243,983 times
Quote:
Or the South, where you have winters that are, at least in the mid south and places like NC, similar to Western WA winters, but they're way too redneck and racist for me (maybe not KKK like racist, but still).
yeah no. NC gets snow/ice/freezing temps just like the states to its north. not to mention that rednecks/racists can be found in every state. in fact, some of the most ignorant hillbilly racists i've ever met were in small-town washington.

now... raise your hand if you've never been to north carolina but enjoy making baseless accusations! *watches beenhereandthere's hand go up*

Old 02-07-2012, 06:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 37,277,733 times
All I can think is "Nope, thank God I am not like the OP!"

Cannot imagine going through life with such a narrow viewpoint and thinking all those off-base old stereotypes still hold any truth to them.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,381,766 times
Winter isnt so bad.

I lived in Texas, and I thought winter would be a breeze since im from the north. I learned your body adapts and it still feels cold. Likewise in winter in the north you get used to it and just dress warm. It usually isnt so bad and you really appreciate spring and summer.

You also get the 4 seasons in the North, fall being my favorite. In big areas of the south you dont get a real spring or fall. Also summer is brutal. So I would argue the weather is worst in most of the south.

However, there is a middle ground. Places like NC, which is technically southern has mild winters, the 4 seasons, and summer isnt too brutal. Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and parts of WV are in the same boat.

Anyway stop being weak. Western civilization was born in the cold. Be strong.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 PM

14,206 posts, read 13,103,413 times
Agree winter isn't too bad as long as you stay away from the upper Midwest, where it can get brutally cold with huge snowdrifts. Even then if you get accustomed to the cold you can engage in winter activities...
Also, while the winters are colder in the Midwest & Northeast, you also get warmer summers, where you can go without a jacket after 5pm (unlike the upper half of the West Coast).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.