U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,430,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Agree winter isn't too bad as long as you stay away from the upper Midwest, where it can get brutally cold with huge snowdrifts. Even then if you get accustomed to the cold you can engage in winter activities...
Also, while the winters are colder in the Midwest & Northeast, you also get warmer summers, where you can go without a jacket after 5pm (unlike the upper half of the West Coast).
Upper midwest is cold for US. Try northern Canada, Scandinavia, or Russia if you want really cold.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM

9,044 posts, read 9,800,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Upper midwest is cold for US. Try northern Canada, Scandinavia, or Russia if you want really cold.

Upper midwest is cold for the lower 48 in the US. Places like Mi, Mn, Wi and Dakotas are the standard people think of for winter cold, but Alaska is much much colder. Fairbanks makes International falls look like Orlando. You are right also about Canada, and of course Siberia which is really the coldest of them all. One way to look at it is that people in the upper midwest are the only ones who truly experience cold weather in the lower 48 (maybe some of N. New england as well), but the cold in these areas is still nothing compared to the true north.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,625,473 times
Quote:
Winter isnt so bad.

I lived in Texas, and I thought winter would be a breeze since im from the north. I learned your body adapts and it still feels cold. Likewise in winter in the north you get used to it and just dress warm. It usually isnt so bad and you really appreciate spring and summer.

You also get the 4 seasons in the North, fall being my favorite. In big areas of the south you dont get a real spring or fall. Also summer is brutal. So I would argue the weather is worst in most of the south.

However, there is a middle ground. Places like NC, which is technically southern has mild winters, the 4 seasons, and summer isnt too brutal. Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and parts of WV are in the same boat.

Anyway stop being weak. Western civilization was born in the cold. Be strong.
Western civilization began in hot deserts, Egypt and Mesopotamia/Fertile Crescent.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,430,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Western civilization began in hot deserts, Egypt and Mesopotamia/Fertile Crescent.
No civilization began there. The west thrived in colder climates, and the North dominates the world.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 PM

5,530 posts, read 11,314,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
That's not Western Civilization.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,625,473 times
Quote:
No civilization began there. The west thrived in colder climates, and the North dominates the world.
Not sure if you're saying," No, not one civilization began there." Or," No, civilization began there." Either way the worlds oldest cities developed in desert river valleys. Egypt, Fertile Crescent, Indus river, and the Yangtze river.

Hunter/gatherer and horticultural groups in arid places needed technology necessary to make more food than their environment could yield. They settled near their fields and built towns and their numbers increased. Peoples in lush places with lots of water had little incentive to turn to intense agriculture and food stockpiling because their environment always provided.

The ancient middle east is the cradle of Western Civilization. The first phonetic alphabet from the Phoenicians (modern Lebanon, not Phoenix) was borrowed by the Greeks and in turn by the Romans, which is our alphabet of today. The first coinage came from what is now Turkey and spread to Greece and the Italian peninsula shortly after. Almost all food crops ancient Europe ate were domesticated in the Fertile Crescent, the animals too. The Greeks colonized up and down the coasts of Turkey,Lebanon, Palestine/Israel, Egypt, and elsewhere in North Africa, intermarrying and staying, with Greek becoming the common language of trade for centuries in the Middle East on into Roman times. Much classic Greek philosophy and science was written in Alexandria, Egypt.

As for climate, if you only consider Europe Western Civilization, then it still began in the warm mediterranean climate in the south, Greece and Italy, which is exactly like southern and central California. Not quite the great white north.

So, I think you're wrong.

I get it though, cold is tough and everything. So is hot, most people from cold places can't hack it.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:09 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,893,830 times
I would like to think I can, but I've never lived in a harsh winter. Coldest place I've lived is Portland, OR, and they only get a few inches of snow a year.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:29 PM

Of course you can -- it doesn't require winning the genetic lottery or anything! If there are LARGE cities somewhere, people (any people) can live there. It's really quite easy to live in places where it gets cold compared to places where it's too hot, IMO.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:32 PM

205 posts, read 481,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Do you think you're limiting yourself to opportunities and over 1/2 of the US?
What I mean by that, is living in places where say, you get more than a foot of snow on average winters, the temperature dips below freezing most nights between late Nov and mid March and 3 months of non melting snow cover is the norm?
I sometimes second guess myself about this, since living in Western WA. is basically a moderate to warm winter weather climate.
Just about all of my loved ones are back east, but I don't know about living in the Northeast, since you have 3 months worth of solid winter weather.
Or the South, where you have winters that are, at least in the mid south and places like NC, similar to Western WA winters, but they're way too redneck and racist for me (maybe not KKK like racist, but still).
Again, do you wonder if you're limiting yourself by just living in places where it doesn't snow regularly?
<sarcasm>Absolutely not. You've made the absolutely perfect decision and should stay in your bubble</sacrcam>

It's a shame that your opening post is so immature. It could have been a good thread for discussing career vs. lifestyle tradeoffs.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Since when is the Pacific Northwest considered a moderate/warm climate -- let ALONE in the winter?? I know it's RELATIVELY milder in winter, but it's FAR from a warm, temperate climate. That's LA. Seattle and Portland basically range from 40 degrees to 70 degrees, with very little variance outside those parameters (rough figures, don't nitpick). If you understand Sigma, it's basically the 6 Sigma of metro area temp ranges! People like that because it's a.) predictable and dependable, and b.) mild (meaning not too hot, not too cold).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.