U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 PM

4,984 posts, read 7,438,717 times

Advertisements

If you've seen both from the ground. I think they both rock, but from Mt Shasta City in CA, that town is not even 10 miles from the summit of Mt Shasta.
Mt. Rainier really defines the amazing outdoor scenery of the Greater Seattle area.
I love both, but I would have to say (of course this depends on how are you are from the mountain too) Mt. Shasta.
The only downfall is during the summer, Mt Shasta has almost no snow on it, where Mt Rainier usually still has some snow at the top.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:12 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,402,528 times
That's tough...I've seen both a couple times, both are gorgeous views, but I'd give the nod to Rainier just because of the contrast between the year-round glaciers and the lakes/Puget Sound, plus it's the most topographically prominent peak in the lower 48.

I'd also add to the comparison the view of Pikes Peak from Colorado Springs-- it's closer to the city than either Shasta or Rainier! Also absolutely breathtaking. That's just me being a homer though, I grew up in COS I'll see if I can find a pic to add.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 PM

281 posts, read 602,869 times
Rainier is pretty heinous. It looks like a giant pile of yeti sh*t.

Shasta is nice, but it's in California so it probably drives too fast.

Hood is the best looking mountain, which is why it has a cameo in The Shining.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,402,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
Rainier is pretty heinous. It looks like a giant pile of yeti sh*t.

Shasta is nice, but it's in California so it probably drives too fast.

Hood is the best looking mountain, which is why it has a cameo in The Shining.
I don't care who you are, that's funny

Hood is also a gorgeous view.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,999,814 times
mt. hood is absolutely incredible.

i love visiting my father in portland during summer when the skies clear up. it makes such a pretty backdrop for the city.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:20 AM

1,557 posts, read 2,403,981 times
Mt Hood is Mt Rainers little sister.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 AM

635 posts, read 1,304,625 times
I like Mt. Shasta (as I call it big bastard) better. I understand it is slightly smaller, however it just looks much more beautiful to me.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:57 AM

605 posts, read 1,265,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
If you've seen both from the ground. I think they both rock, but from Mt Shasta City in CA, that town is not even 10 miles from the summit of Mt Shasta.
Mt. Rainier really defines the amazing outdoor scenery of the Greater Seattle area.
I love both, but I would have to say (of course this depends on how are you are from the mountain too) Mt. Shasta.
The only downfall is during the summer, Mt Shasta has almost no snow on it, where Mt Rainier usually still has some snow at the top.

I would have to say that both Mt. Rainier and Mt. Shasta are equally impressive. However I would have to give the edge to Mt. Rainier for a number of factors. First off its closer to a major body of water (Puget Sound), and a major city. Views of Mt. Rainier from Puget Sound are amazing.

Secondly Mt. Rainier has much larger glaciers on its flanks than Mt. Shasta. The longest glacier in the United States outside of Alaska is on Rainier. The rugged glaciers on Mt. Rainier make it more impressive.

Sounds incredible but I was able to spot Mt. Rainier on a super clear day from the top of Grouse Mountain in Vancouver B.C.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 AM

4,984 posts, read 7,438,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
I would have to say that both Mt. Rainier and Mt. Shasta are equally impressive. However I would have to give the edge to Mt. Rainier for a number of factors. First off its closer to a major body of water (Puget Sound), and a major city. Views of Mt. Rainier from Puget Sound are amazing.

Secondly Mt. Rainier has much larger glaciers on its flanks than Mt. Shasta. The longest glacier in the United States outside of Alaska is on Rainier. The rugged glaciers on Mt. Rainier make it more impressive.

Sounds incredible but I was able to spot Mt. Rainier on a super clear day from the top of Grouse Mountain in Vancouver B.C.
From Grouse Mountain? That's incredible.
Those that are saying Mt Hood has a better view than both Rainier and Shasta, really?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM

9,965 posts, read 14,944,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
From Grouse Mountain? That's incredible.
Those that are saying Mt Hood has a better view than both Rainier and Shasta, really?
Well, Rainier and Shasta are bigger, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I'd say Rainier seems more imposing or impressive on some level mainly just due to it's immense size. Although it really doesn't look that different from Mt. Adams or Mt. Baker--they're all heavily glaciated, but Rainer just seems massive. Shasta is cool because it rises above a flat plain--so when you're driving down I-5 you come around the corner and it's right in front of you--but often it doesn't have the snowcover nor does it have the extent of glaciers of the Cascades further to the north. But I like the assymetrical steep shape of Hood just as much as I like Rainier or Shasta.. The views from Hood River or the Hood River Valley are great.

The Blaine Franger Photography Blog

Of course when you climb those volcanoes you spend much of the time looking down for crevasses or route finding through the fog up steep icy slopes trying not to fall as you step carefully with your crampons and ice axe ready--during a pre-dawn early morning ascent. Then you get to the summit and half the time find the view you've been hoping for obscured by clouds. I've climbed most of the major Cascade volcanoes(still got a few more to go though) and most of them have similar geographic footprints--but they're all pretty beautiful in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.