Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,608,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Please dont get into Confederate vs. Yankee here . I am really curious if anyone has an actual example of chivalry, or courtesy they have experienced while living in the south....(vacation doesnt really count, we all know the hotel concierge makes the guest feel welcome)

For those who are from or have family in the south, please if you can give an example? its greatly appreciated...
Examples would be stuff like:

a. Smiling at strangers in the grocery store, not avoiding eye contact
b. Waving at your neighbors
c. Holding the door for others
d. Letting people over in traffic / not cutting people off in traffic
e. Striking up a friendly conversation with a total stranger, as if you've always known them.

And I mean that these are the norm. It has nothing to do with how you treat people you know; it's all about how you treat strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Being polite in public, and considerate of others, north or south is a sign of good manners. Im not sure but perhaps I should have made this more about "respect your elders".
a. Southern hospitality is a sign of the middle/upper middle class. "Po' trash" has never been associated with hospitality.

b. Southern hospitality is eroding, as mainstream "television culture" begins to dominate the globe, and as generations of transplants raise their kids in urban environments; in cities like Atlanta or Charlotte, it basically doesn't exist. Cities and small towns are radically different from one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,669,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
d. Letting people over in traffic / not cutting people off in traffic
Now that's funny. I saw more cutting off in traffic (never with a turn signal, mind you) in Tennessee than I've ever seen anywhere else.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,801,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Now that's funny. I saw more cutting off in traffic (never with a turn signal, mind you) in Tennessee than I've ever seen anywhere else.
Yea, but they always blame the Florida drivers for that, LOL.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yea, but they always blame the Florida drivers for that, LOL.
Yes, Florida transplants get blamed for everything.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:49 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,818,052 times
I grew up in the NE, and have lived in the south for 10 years now (GA). There is more surface chivalry here, especially in the children. Mine quickly learned that teachers and coaches expected to hear a "yes sir" or "yes, ma'am". But there is plenty of it up north too. Plenty of chivalry was shown after 9/11, for example. Neighbor helping neighbor is pretty universal.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osimeon00 View Post
No where else in this country are manners alive and well.
I can't agree with that. I find people here in my current town friendlier and more polite (overall) than when I lived in TN.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:44 AM

37,732 posts, read 40,772,892 times
I live in Tennessee and you can always tell the natives from the non-natives. The natives are polite. The scruffiest looking type will still hold a door open for a woman and when you say "Thank you," they say "Yes, ma'am." Love it. Thank you to their mommas.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:25 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,690,143 times
I grew up in the South, but I've been to many parts of the country where people are polite and hold open doors. Even way up in Canada, people were nicer than what I usually experience in the South. They're a bit more reserved, but strangers still make conversation with one another. The "yes ma'am" thing is more confined to the South, and it's something I really like, but I dont think that automatically makes someone more polite or a better person. It's just a cultural thing. Actually the most reserved, standoffish place I've been to is southern Alabama, near Mobile.

Last edited by Smtchll; 02-12-2012 at 04:34 AM..

Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM

67 posts, read 248,851 times
This mainly applies to the rural South. Atlantans will not hesitate to cut you off in traffic, tailgate you mercilessly, and do other idiotic maneuvers. Outside of our cars, people run the gamut in terms of chivalry. You will have people who will greet you and hold doors and plenty of people who will let them slam in your face. It's not a transplant vs. native thing. I am a native Atlantan and can remember Atlanta always having a less friendly feel than many areas of the South.

Still, the majority of men will step aside in an elevator and let the women exit first, there is still a lot of sir'ing and maam'ing, and men tend to give up their seats for women. I'm not sure if that behavior's exclusive to the South or not.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,690,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
This mainly applies to the rural South. Atlantans will not hesitate to cut you off in traffic, tailgate you mercilessly, and do other idiotic maneuvers. Outside of our cars, people run the gamut in terms of chivalry. You will have people who will greet you and hold doors and plenty of people who will let them slam in your face. It's not a transplant vs. native thing. I am a native Atlantan and can remember Atlanta always having a less friendly feel than many areas of the South.

Still, the majority of men will step aside in an elevator and let the women exit first, there is still a lot of sir'ing and maam'ing, and men tend to give up their seats for women. I'm not sure if that behavior's exclusive to the South or not.
I do that. I didnt even think about that. Yeah, I wonder if that kinda thing is common in other regions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.