Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2012, 03:39 AM
 
Location: Oroville, California
3,477 posts, read 6,466,718 times
Reputation: 6788

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
One thing I despise about Southerners is that they teach their kids to hate gays. Completely inexcusable.
The only thing inexcusable is your ridiculous generalization of 100 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,580 posts, read 2,879,114 times
Reputation: 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
One thing I despise about Southerners is that they teach their kids to hate gays. Completely inexcusable.
Incorrect. I was raised in the deep South (Louisiana and Alabama) and was never taught to hate gays.

The South does tend to be a bit more conservative than some other regions of the country which means that some people are opposed to homosexuality, but your statement is a gross overgeneralization.

Overgeneralizing about one group b/c you think they overgeneralize about another group is a bit ironic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 AM
 
Location: southern california
61,290 posts, read 87,104,404 times
Reputation: 55549
u will be taken in the back of a store and shown special operations of that business u will feel very privileged to do so, what u wont realize is that they do that with every good customer.
i take exception however to posts that say southerners are taught to hate others. not so. southerners are taught to know others and not be deluded about their behavior.
this is an important skill and so much kinder than letting them find out on their own the hard way. not every black gay or immigrant is a nice person.
to teach them so is a great evil. u might be a nice black gay or immigrant but your skin tone and orientation does not make it so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Florida
11,669 posts, read 17,836,869 times
Reputation: 8239
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Incorrect. I was raised in the deep South (Louisiana and Alabama) and was never taught to hate gays.

The South does tend to be a bit more conservative than some other regions of the country which means that some people are opposed to homosexuality, but your statement is a gross overgeneralization.

Overgeneralizing about one group b/c you think they overgeneralize about another group is a bit ironic.
Well don't get me wrong. I love visiting the deep south, as a gay person myself. I have never felt uncomfortable or threatened, either. I had a good time. I would even move there if I had to. It's beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,580 posts, read 2,879,114 times
Reputation: 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well don't get me wrong. I love visiting the deep south, as a gay person myself. I have never felt uncomfortable or threatened, either. I had a good time.
I am glad you enjoyed your time in the South.

If you didn't have an experience where you felt uncomfortable or threatened, why did you make the statement that southerners are taught to hate gays?

Also, were you visiting cities or smaller towns? In the South (as in most places) people tend to be more conservative in smaller towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Florida
11,669 posts, read 17,836,869 times
Reputation: 8239
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I am glad you enjoyed your time in the South.

If you didn't have an experience where you felt uncomfortable or threatened, why did you make the statement that southerners are taught to hate gays?

Also, were you visiting cities or smaller towns? In the South (as in most places) people tend to be more conservative in smaller towns.
Well I have several gay friends from the South who have been completely disowned by their parents. They stop talking to them, paying for their college, etc. It's very sad, really.

I visited a variety of cities and towns, large and small. I have been to the following places in the deep south:
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Waltersboro, SC
  • Eutaw, AL
  • Jackson, MS
  • Natchez, MS
  • Port Gibson, MS
I was actually surprised that people didn't care or notice that I was gay, 100% italian and spoke like a New Englander. Instead, people were nice and minded their own business. Random black strangers would say hello to me in public, which was very nice, too (I'm white), in small towns of AL and MS. That rarely happens up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,580 posts, read 2,879,114 times
Reputation: 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well I have several gay friends from the South who have been completely disowned by their parents. They stop talking to them, paying for their college, etc. It's very sad, really.


I visited a variety of cities and towns, large and small. I have been to the following places in the deep south:
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Waltersboro, SC
  • Eutaw, AL
  • Jackson, MS
  • Natchez, MS
  • Port Gibson, MS
I was actually surprised that people didn't care or notice that I was gay, 100% italian and spoke like a New Englander. Instead, people were nice and minded their own business. Random black strangers would say hello to me in public, which was very nice, too (I'm white), in small towns of AL and MS. That rarely happens up north.
It is great that you had good experiences during your visits down south.

That is very sad about your friends not being accepted by their own parents. Definitely sorry to hear that.

Attitudes are changing pretty rapidly in the South (and in America as a whole) regarding homosexuality, but the older generation of Southerners definitely have more problems with the issue, and for them it might be more difficult to accept in a family member than in a stranger. I hope your friends can work things out with their parents, and I encourage you to not base your opinion on an entire region based on the closed-mindedness of a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
49,932 posts, read 59,585,620 times
Reputation: 98359
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
One thing I despise about Southerners is that they teach their kids to hate gays. Completely inexcusable.
Yes, it's in our state constitution that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US is required to do this.



In fact, one of your later posts recounting your experiences in some southern towns completely negates this careless generalization. So stop with the drive-byes and add something helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Florida
11,669 posts, read 17,836,869 times
Reputation: 8239
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
It is great that you had good experiences during your visits down south.

That is very sad about your friends not being accepted by their own parents. Definitely sorry to hear that.

Attitudes are changing pretty rapidly in the South (and in America as a whole) regarding homosexuality, but the older generation of Southerners definitely have more problems with the issue, and for them it might be more difficult to accept in a family member than in a stranger. I hope your friends can work things out with their parents, and I encourage you to not base your opinion on an entire region based on the closed-mindedness of a few.
I know, I was just generalizing, relative to other regions of the country. I'm sure people under 40 years old in the South are more tolerant of sexual orientation differences. I had a friend who grew up in the Atlanta area and after he told his mom he was gay, she replied "had I known, I would have had an abortion." In other words, abortion is more acceptable than homosexuality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
37,741 posts, read 40,796,799 times
Reputation: 61998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I grew up in the South, but I've been to many parts of the country where people are polite and hold open doors. Even way up in Canada, people were nicer than what I usually experience in the South. They're a bit more reserved, but strangers still make conversation with one another. The "yes ma'am" thing is more confined to the South, and it's something I really like, but I dont think that automatically makes someone more polite or a better person. It's just a cultural thing. Actually the most reserved, standoffish place I've been to is southern Alabama, near Mobile.
With regard to door holders my observation from Maryland was the men go through the doors first and then hold them as an afterthought whereas here, you go through first. New York, they mostly just go through the door and may even race you to the door so they can beat you going through (especially in elevators)...and I was born and raised there. What a shocker when I went home to visit two years ago, from rude pizza counter guys to indifferent store clerks, to supermarket cashiers (who grunt and want you to bag your groceries so they piddle around hoping you'll grab a bag and do it for them). Besides the door holders in the South, people talk you up here. They ask you about your day. They offer to take your groceries to the car for you. They don't need an excuse to start a conversation about anything and that includes postal clerks (doesn't matter how long the line is), my UPS guy (calls me by my name when he comes), my DOCTORS (all of them), anybody sitting in the waiting room of any office, people on a checkout line. They'll chat you up about anything from the shoes you are wearing to their kid's problems in school. I love it.

Let me tell you my favorite story of what happened to me right after I moved to Tennessee. I took my car to the Subaru dealer a few towns away for a regular visit (oil change, fluids, tire rotation). I also needed needed new windshield wipers. So, they take care of me and I go home. A few days later I get a call from them. It's raining. They want to know how my new windshield wipers are working out for me. Not kidding. I almost fell off the chair. The difference from NY and MD was huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top