U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 AM

9,900 posts, read 19,744,965 times

Advertisements

If you were to visit, live, or spend some time if these states what locale (big city, suburb, or small town) would you pick? Here's ten states. If this catches on I'll do another thread like it with some other states. Describe why you would choose the place you've chosen in each state (character, topographical features, attractions, food, people etc.)

Texas:

New York:

Florida:

California:

Arizona:

Hawaii:

Pennsylvania:

New Mexico:

North Carolina:

Michigan:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,906,150 times
Texas: Austin

New York: Manhattan

Florida: Miami

California: San Francisco

Arizona: Tempe

Hawaii: Manoa

Pennsylvania: Philadelphia

New Mexico: Albuquerque

North Carolina: Charlotte

Michigan: Ann Arbor

Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM

506 posts, read 1,137,619 times
Texas: A DFW suburb... not sure which one

New York: Albany/Schenectady area

Florida: Delray Beach (or Panama City Beach)

California: San Diego

Arizona: Tucson

Hawaii: Waikoloa

Pennsylvania: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

North Carolina: RTP

Michigan: Traverse City

Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM

12,083 posts, read 35,475,008 times
If you were to visit, live, or spend some time if these states what locale (big city, suburb, or small town) would you pick?

Texas: Abilene. Spent time there and really liked it. Harolds BBQ would be reason enough for me actually . Not much for scenery that I like though.

New York: Schroon Lake area. Super friendly people, nice scenery, laid-back attitude from what I could see during a short stay. There was a place I ate at a couple of times that I about had to roll out the door due to low prices and Great food (can't think of the name to save my life though.)

Florida: Jay. Not a lot to do, but interesting area and I just felt good there visiting friends who called Jay home at one point.

California: Truckee. Come-on do you really need a reason? Scenery, skiing, cool vibe.

Arizona: One of the small towns in the NE corner. I really like the 4 corners area and would love to spend more time poking around there.

Hawaii: Never been, but always wanted to go to one of the smaller islands.

Pennsylvania: Brookville. Almost moved there at one point in the past and while visiting I really like the people and area.

New Mexico: Taos. Couldn't afford it, but that wasn't part of the question . Skiing, scenery, nice local population overall. At least they seemed that way while vacationing there years ago.

North Carolina: Probably over in the Wilmington area. Coastal, and friendly.

Michigan:Right exactly where I am now... Scottville. Super friendly community, great schools, great fishing, farms, and close enough to Lake Michigan to enjoy it without having to pay the premium of living right on the water (increased tourism, traffic, taxes, etc....) Great 4 season weather without any of them too long or too harsh, water everywhere, and the people are very "what you see is really what you get."

Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM

6,147 posts, read 5,767,442 times
TX - Alpine
NY - Cooperstown
FL - St. Augustine
CA - Grass Valley
AZ - Flagstaff
HI - ??
PA - Doylestown ?
NM - Silver City
NC - Ashville
MI - Copper Harbor

I haven't been to Hawaii in 32 years & don't remember names of towns. Wish I did! And my memories of PA are vague, too - I have an old friend who works in Doylestown, which I why I wrote that one down. I've been to and enjoyed all of the other towns on my list.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 AM

443 posts, read 808,697 times
Texas: Austin to visit, Dallas to live

New York: Syracuse or Buffalo

Arizona: Phoenix

Pennsylvania: Harrisburg or Philly

North Carolina: Asheville or Wilmington

Michigan: Sault Ste. Marie

i left out the states i don't particularly want to live in or visit

Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM

8,245 posts, read 18,035,246 times
Texas: San Antonio

New York: Hard to narrow to one, so many wonderful regions and places, but I will go with Saranac Lake.

Florida: Sugarloaf Key

California: Another hard one to narrow to one, but... Nevada City it is!

Arizona: Bisbee

Hawaii: Princeville

Pennsylvania: How to even begin with PA... tough to narrow, but I will go with Jim Thorpe

New Mexico: Tesuque

North Carolina: Hayesville

Michigan: Charlevoix

Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 PM

14,588 posts, read 21,170,944 times
Texas: West TX near NM

New York: NYC baby

Florida: Miami

California: SF

Arizona: Grand Canyon

Hawaii: Oahu and Maui

Pennsylvania: Philly

New Mexico: Santa Fe

North Carolina: Appalachian Mountains and Asheville

Michigan: Mackinaw Island

Old 02-08-2012, 01:53 PM

706 posts, read 1,927,064 times
I picked the cities that almost everybody pronounces wrong, so I can amuse mysel by correcting them:

Texas: Palestine
New York: Skaneateles
Florida: Immokalee
California: Port Hueneme
Arizona: Seligman
Hawaii: Kaaawa
Pennsylvania: Emmaus
New Mexico: Raton
North Carolina: Mebane
Michigan: Charlotte

Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM

9,900 posts, read 19,744,965 times
Texas: San Antonio - I like the old world charm and history in San Antonio in downtown around the Alamo and Riverwalk. I think it’s the best downtown in Texas. I also like its close proximity to Austin and Hill Country and it has some nice landscapes on the western edges of the city. San Antonio is also very friendly.

New York: Lake Placid or Saranac Lake, I love the Adirondacks. Plenty of year round recreation, awesome lakes and beautiful mountains and lots of tranquility. Also within an hour or two to Montreal.

Florida: Fort Lauderdale. My favorite urban beach in Florida, Miami is a bit over the top for my liking. FL is also a pretty clean city and I like Los Olas and the canals.

California: La Jolla. I enjoy the San Diego area, laid back and refined. La Jolla has beautiful cliffs and I dig the little cove beaches. Maybe I’ll be able to afford to live there in my next life.

Arizona: Sedona, it’s magic.

Hawaii: Not overly familiar with it, but definitely not Oahu. I’d probably go for somewhere on the Big Island, those black sand beaches look intriguing.

Pennsylvania: Society Hill in Philadelphia, in a nice brownstone townhouse.

New Mexico: I’m moving to Santa Fe in two months.

North Carolina: Nags Head or some other beach town on the Outer Banks, some of the most beautiful seashore I’ve ever laid eyes on.

Michigan: Saginaw, from what I’ve heard it’s probably up my alley, a live and let live kind of resort town and the proximity to Lake Michigan sounds nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.