Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
There are five instances where two US counties/parishes with the same name share a state border. They are: Sabine Counties (LA and TX), Escambia Counties (FL and AL), Bristol Counties (MA and RI), Kent Counties (MD and DE), and Union Counties (AR and LA).
The most common US county name, not surprisingly, is Washington-- which is found in 31 states.
Those 2 Bristol counties are also the only 2 counties which the largest ethinic group is Portugese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:45 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Lakes and Ponds are differentiated only by arbitrary reference to size.

Accoding to Wiki, "There is considerable uncertainty about defining the difference between lakes and ponds, and no current internationally accepted definition of either term across scientific disciplines or political boundaries exists."

Instead of saying "There are no lakes in Georgia". the state drum beaters should have said "Georgia has defined lakes using criteria that excludes all bodies of water in the state".
Exactly. And it's regional. There are some relatively huge "ponds" in ME, VT, NH and NY, and some tiny "lakes" in MN, WI and MI.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
So because we post facts about our state, we'ré 'drum beaters'? How is stating that we have no natural lakes considered boasting? Ironic statement in that its made by a Texan.
If you live in the state, it raises a certain suspicion. But I assumed that you did not make it up on your own, but the fact circulates around in Georgia, just like Texans will always tell you that there is only one natural lake in Texas. I don't make statements "as a Texan", I just happen to be living here at the moment, which makes me more aware of the things that are passed around by Texas drum-beaters. Which is apparently something that Georgia is spared.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you live in the state, it raises a certain suspicion. But I assumed that you did not make it up on your own, but the fact circulates around in Georgia, just like Texans will always tell you that there is only one natural lake in Texas. I don't make statements "as a Texan", I just happen to be living here at the moment, which makes me more aware of the things that are passed around by Texas drum-beaters. Which is apparently something that Georgia is spared.
WOuldn't it stand to reason you know more about your own state than others?

Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Default This is a Stick out

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Despite being on the same latitude as France, Maine is the closest U.S. state to Africa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Miles from Portland,Maine to Casablanca,Morocco = 3,372.
Miles from Miami,FL to Casablanca,Morocco = 4,304
Wow, this is a good one. I definetly would have thought it would be Florida.

Another state I would have thought is Massachusetts. Although Mass. does not "stick out" further east as Maine, its more southerly location might mean its slightly closer to Africa. Also, North Carolina might be a dark horse guess because even though it does not "stick out" as far as the two NE states, its further south still.

Maine is interesting because not only does it "stick out" further east, it also "sticks up" further north than the rest of the East Coast. Maine actually is between much of the populated parts of southern Quebec and New Brunswick/Nova Scotia

Old 07-04-2012, 09:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
WOuldn't it stand to reason you know more about your own state than others?
And wouldn't it stand to reason that what your own state says about itself might be hype rather than truth?

I don't know why this is so contentious. There are bodies of water in Georgia that, to a reasonable observer, would be called Lakes. Somebody in Georgia, for reasons of their own, has declared that there are no lakes, and contrived some rationalization to support it, and that assertion has gained a certain currency, with few people willing to challenge it, or even thinking it is important enough to challenge.

It is neither true nor false. It is just a platitude.

One citation can be found in http://www.carvalholawfirm.com/B_Ove...n_GA_11.08.pdf and other authoritative sources that are professionally concerned with the science of surface water:

"With few exceptions, there are no natural lakes in Georgia."

What about those exceptions? The fact is, Georgia's topography is not conducive to the formation of lakes, so it is unusual for a lake to occur. Which is not the same as saying there are none.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-04-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 09:43 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Re: Natural lakes in Georgia. From Georgia's Great Lakes .

"Though Georgia has no large natural lakes, we have several major reservoirs which offer a variety of opportunities to get out and enjoy yourself on the water. This episode highlights some fun things to do on and around our great lakes.

Starting with a sailing regatta on Georgia's most visited lake, Lake Sidney Lanier, we'll feature some well-known and not-so-well-known lake activities – including windsurfing on Clark's Hill Lake, birdwatching at Lake Walter F. George, and bass fishing on Lake Seminole. We'll also explore the sunken history of some of our lakes and visit a lake clean-up at Allatoona Lake that draws 5,000 volunteers every year!"

Notice it says no LARGE natural lakes. But it is easy to see that over time that some people might forget the word "large" and instead it begins to spread that Georgia has no natural lakes at all. If you look up this subject on the net, you will find several sites saying this so I am not suprised some people here on CD might innocently think it is the case.

For more info about Georgia lakes this is an excellent site (New Georgia Ency.) New Georgia Encyclopedia: Man-Made Lakes . Half way down it dicusses the difference between natural and man made lakes. At the very bottom it mentions that ONE HUNDRED reservoirs are under construction or planned in the state of Georgia!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:54 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
As a Georgia native, I had always heard that the lakes east and south of Valdosta (for which the towns of Lake Park and Lakeland derive their names) were the only natural bodies of water in the state. Whether they are more swamps or ponds, they are still natural bodies of water. Do a Google map search, look at the areas between I-75 and the Okefenokee north of the Florida border and you will see several small bodies of water stretched across several counties. Zoom in on several of them, they are oddly called bays.

Even though I am a native, I do not know this corner of the state very well. My only knowledge of it is pass through country zooming down 75 to Florida.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:20 AM

4,363 posts, read 4,561,298 times
Fifteen of the 20 largest US islands are located in Alaska. But the largest US island is the "Big Island" of Hawaii, which is bigger than the states of Delaware and Rhode Island combined.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 PM

The Massachusetts/New Hampshire Border is determined by a River, but it is determined as points 3 miles north of the Merrimack River downstream of Pawtucket Falls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.