Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times

Advertisements

Really kind of a stretch to say those cities are "located on" those respective bodies of water....

The Neuse "River"....runs north and east of Raleigh..not really through it, and Raleigh certainly didn't grow up around it. (you wouldn't say Raleigh is "located" on the Neuse River...you'd say the Neuse river runs near Raleigh). If the Neuse even crosses through the Raleigh city limits at all it is on the fringe and wasn't the case until relatively recent annexations.

Tiny and often very shallow/dry Lake Jackson...basically lies north of Tallahassee...again, not really something around which the city grew up or in a really urbanized area at all. A northern unpopulated arm of the city limits graze the edge of the lake if you want to consider that "the city being on the lake"

Carson city does include part of Lake Tahoe in its city limits...but that is a good 20 miles form the city center and 15 miles from any significantly populated part of the city (the city and county consolidated governments a few decades ago I believe).

I'm sure this all sounds very knitpicky and it probably is. But again, if you are going to get super technical, you could say those bodies of water touch/are near those cities...but it's still a stretch to say Raleigh is "on" the Neuse or Tallahassee is "on" Lake Jackson. Just doesn't make Helena's status of being "the only state capital" not "on" a body of water seem like a real geographic oddity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
But my orignal statement was that Helena was the only US state capital not located on (various bodies of water)... not that the city needed to have been built around a body of water.
In each of the examples given, the city limits abut or include the bodies of water mentioned.
For example: There's a neighborhood in northern Raleigh (within the city limits) called "Fall River" that is so-named because of the river which traverses that portion of the city.
As I have said before, I do research my posts.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Helena: The original townsite was set up by prospectors along Last Chance Gulch, which is a river then it rains upcountry. The presence of that intermittent hydrological feature was the determining factor in choosing the townsite.

Tallahassee: There are six recognized public fishing lakes within the city limits of Tallahassee. There are so many natural lakes in that part of Florida, it would be nearly impossible to establish a townsite without being within a mile or two of a lake or river. Although when establishing Tallahassee, they probably did look for some high, dry ground.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:12 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
But my orignal statement was that Helena was the only US state capital not located on (various bodies of water)... not that the city needed to have been built around a body of water.
In each of the examples given, the city limits abut or include the bodies of water mentioned.
For example: There's a neighborhood in northern Raleigh (within the city limits) called "Fall River" that is so-named because of the river which traverses that portion of the city.
As I have said before, I do research my posts.
Phoenix, AZ is a real stretch if you are using the Salt river which is pretty much dry thru most of the year.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Phoenix, AZ is a real stretch if you are using the Salt river which is pretty much dry thru most of the year.
Nevertheless, it is a river, and it does run through the city of Phoenix.
BTW, Cortez Lake and Desert West Lake are also located in Phoenix proper.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Helena: The original townsite was set up by prospectors along Last Chance Gulch, which is a river then it rains upcountry.
"Last Chance" is considered to be a creek, not a river. And there is a difference.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Phoenix was originally established where it was, because of the presence of ancient and disused irrigation canals that had been used to water the land there.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:11 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Currently Atlanta borders the Chattahoochee river but the original city of Atlanta (Terminus) was placed near the eastern continental divide, so no body of any kind where the original city sat. It grew as a railroad town, its location being the best spot south of the Appalachians connecting lines coming down the east coast with a line coming from the midwest. Because of this, a high, dry spot on the eastern divide was ideal for its founding.

I know the original post was about current city capitals and bodies within their limits, but the founding of Atlanta was not on a body of water.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM

There are counties that share their names with each of the first 26 US presidents. But no US county is named Taft, the 27th president.
There are also no counties named Coolidge, Hoover, Truman, Eisenhower, Nixon, Bush, or Obama. Interestingly, until Obama was elected, the only Democratic president whose name wasn't shared by a US county was Truman.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 PM

97 posts, read 202,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Choose any three cities in the USA. Is there a point that is equidistant from all three of them? Only one such point? Is there also a single point, that is equidistant from any three cities, no matter which three you choose?
Let's Meet in the Middle - GeoMidpoint

Are you accounting for curvature of the Earth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.