Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, you can find a subtropical highland climate in Baguio,The Philippines.
What defines a "subtropical highland climate?" It is hard for me to imagine any place in the Philippines having the same climate as Boone, NC, especially with that kind of snowfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
What defines a "subtropical highland climate?" It is hard for me to imagine any place in the Philippines having the same climate as Boone, NC, especially with that kind of snowfall.
I saw the words "subtropical highland climate". I found this: Baguio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oceanic climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 PM

101 posts, read 173,252 times
Michigan is the only state to have Canada north, south, east and west of it.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Boone might be a "microclimate" a concept that is quite well known in many parts of the world. but apparently doesn't occur so much in the United States. A microclimate is a small area, often only a few square miles, in which the climate is distinctly different from the surrounding area, for no obviously apparent reason.

In the USA, Microclimate usually refers to a man-made phenomenon, such as a large asphalt parking lot or an area shaded by tall buildings. But they can naturally occur without human intervention, and account for claims of "deserts" in places like England and Maine.

When I walk to my supermarket I pass diagonally across a large open field, and there is one spot at which it feels much hotter than the surrounding field on hot summer days, for an area about 20 paces across, but it looks exactly like the rest of the field. The hot spot is always in the same place. A larger microclimate is the area around Beloit, in north central Kansas, which is very often the hottest place in Kansas during a summer heat wave.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
Here is a place in Maine where you can walk the length of a football field, due north, east, south, or west, and be in Canada.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...09334&t=h&z=17

If you don't mind blazing a trail through the woods and you're a fair swimmer, you can actually drive a logging road to the neck of that peninsula, from the Canadian side, and walk in there and perform the exercise in about an hour or two.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-13-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Boone might be a "microclimate" a concept that is quite well known in many parts of the world. but apparently doesn't occur so much in the United States. A microclimate is a small area, often only a few square miles, in which the climate is distinctly different from the surrounding area, for no obviously apparent reason.

In the USA, Microclimate usually refers to a man-made phenomenon, such as a large asphalt parking lot or an area shaded by tall buildings. But they can naturally occur without human intervention, and account for claims of "deserts" in places like England and Maine.

When I walk to my supermarket I pass diagonally across a large open field, and there is one spot at which it feels much hotter than the surrounding field on hot summer days, for an area about 20 paces across, but it looks exactly like the rest of the field. The hot spot is always in the same place. A larger microclimate is the area around Beloit, in north central Kansas, which is very often the hottest place in Kansas during a summer heat wave.
I can't think of anything micro about Boone that wouldn't be experienced up and down the Blue Ridge Mountains from North Georgia up through Virginia and West Virginia. Well, outside of the north/south range in temperature. The North Georgia mountains will be milder than West Virginia. Boone is in the middle of this.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,561,298 times
The volume (normal capacity) of ultra-deep Lake Tahoe (CA-NV) is greater than the volume of Lakes Mead (AZ-NV), Great Salt (UT), Powell (UT-AZ), and Sakakawea (ND) combined.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM

97 posts, read 202,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here is a place in Maine where you can walk the length of a football field, due north, east, south, or west, and be in Canada.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...09334&t=h&z=17

If you don't mind blazing a trail through the woods and you're a fair swimmer, you can actually drive a logging road to the neck of that peninsula, from the Canadian side, and walk in there and perform the exercise in about an hour or two.
What do you think about all those grass paths nearby?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
It is the only with an entire Canadian province north, south, east, and west of it.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Montana is the only state in the USA bordered by three(3) Canadian provinces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.