Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 06:59 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times

Advertisements

In Texas, Austin is not located in Austin county, it's located in Travis county. Houston is not in Houston county, it's in Harris county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I think you misunderstood the question -- it wasn't just about finding a city that touches 2 states, obviously there are many plenty of municipalities that fit the bill and surely many cities. Weirton touches a state (OH) at its western end and another state (PA) at its eastern end (OP could have added that Weirton "touches" its own state, WV, to the North and South). Almost all other cities touching 2 states do so in the same general direction or in an L-shape of 2 adjacent cardinal points (you gave Memphis as an example), not opposite cardinal points as in Weirton.
Barney,

thanks for verifying what I was not intelligent enough to write myself. This was precisely the criteria. The geographical premise wss based on cardinality.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Without reading the entire thread, I would offer :

1. A city like San Francisco in a West Coast state like California
2. The shape of the state of Maryland

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
my first thought was somewhere in WV but I kept reading the thread before I had a chance to look at a map. Fun question!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 AM

689 posts, read 2,161,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I think you misunderstood the question -- it wasn't just about finding a city that touches 2 states, obviously there are many plenty of municipalities that fit the bill and surely many cities. Weirton touches a state (OH) at its western end and another state (PA) at its eastern end (OP could have added that Weirton "touches" its own state, WV, to the North and South). Almost all other cities touching 2 states do so in the same general direction or in an L-shape of 2 adjacent cardinal points (you gave Memphis as an example), not opposite cardinal points as in Weirton.
Another oddity related to Weriton. Just outside city limits, in Paris, Pennsylvania, the main road through town is named Steubenville Pike. Yes, Steubenville Pike is the road to Steubenville, Ohio, but it goes through West Virginia before it gets there.

By the way, my response to the Weriton question above was not challenging its uniqueness, but only amplifying with additional examples in a similar category.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
The Northwest Angle of Minnesota cannot be reached except by crossing Canadian territory.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybrooks772 View Post
It is quicker to drive from Detroit to Atlanta than to drive from Detroit to Copper Bay, at the tip of the Kennewaw Peninsula.

Do you mean Copper Harbor at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybrooks772 View Post
It is quicker to drive from Detroit to Atlanta than to drive from Detroit to Copper Bay, at the tip of the Kennewaw Peninsula.
Google Earth says the drive to Atlanta is an hour shorter.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Another oddity related to Weriton. Just outside city limits, in Paris, Pennsylvania, the main road through town is named Steubenville Pike. Yes, Steubenville Pike is the road to Steubenville, Ohio, but it goes through West Virginia before it gets there.
Yep -- actually, Steuben St. starts just west of downtown Pittsburgh and then becomes Steubenville Pike in Crafton (inner-ring suburb of the 'burgh). Shows you how Steubenville, a small town by today's standards, is historically important in the Upper Ohio valley. Weirton's boom was more recent (20th century).

Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The cities of Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City, Topeka, Colorado Springs, Reno, Sacramento, and San Francisco would all lie south of the Mason-Dixon Line if extended due west from Pennsylvania.

West Virginia's northernmost point is at the same latitude of New York City.

Illinois's southernmost point is at the same latitude of Arizona, New Mexico, and Oklahoma.
Also, I just verified this: in addition to Illinois's southernmost point being a shade south of the northern AZ/NM/OK border, it's northern border is at 42° 30'. The southern border of South Dakota, essentially a peninsula in the SE corner of the state, extends south of this line (This area is a golf course with a private community). So, technically, Illinois, at its extreme, is north of South Dakota, and south of Arizona, New Mexico and Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.