Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 05:26 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

There is only one city in the USA called Muscatine, in Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 12:02 PM

53 posts, read 136,133 times
As far as I know, Pennsylvania is the only state without an ocean border that has its lowest point at sea level. The Delaware River shore along PA's southeast border (in the Chester/Philadelphia area) is at sea level, and is basically a continuation of Delaware Bay.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:48 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
SUTTER BUTTES - The smallest independent mountain range in the world. Less than 10 miles long. Highest point 2,122 feet.

The Sutter Buttes are located in California's Sacramento Valley, 55 miles North of downtown Sacramento.

This mountain range is completely independent and separate from all the other mountain ranges in Northern California. They are lava domes that rise above the Sacramento Valley floor which is about 50-75 feet above sea level.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 4,225 times
I made this some time ago, but I suppose it works here.

NSFW (I put a cuss word in it )

http://www.refplanet.com/images/Queens.png

URL code not working, and i don't want to hot-link it due to the swearing. You'll just have to copy/paste.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:18 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
SUTTER BUTTES - The smallest independent mountain range in the world. Less than 10 miles long. Highest point 2,122 feet.

The Sutter Buttes are located in California's Sacramento Valley, 55 miles North of downtown Sacramento.

This mountain range is completely independent and separate from all the other mountain ranges in Northern California. They are lava domes that rise above the Sacramento Valley floor which is about 50-75 feet above sea level.
Yes, I've seen them from the freeway many times. Unfortunately, they mostly consist of private land, so it's impossible to visit them except when a guided hike is available.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:27 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasden View Post
I made this some time ago, but I suppose it works here.

NSFW (I put a cuss word in it )

http://www.refplanet.com/images/Queens.png

URL code not working, and i don't want to hot-link it due to the swearing. You'll just have to copy/paste.
Ha!

Here in SF, and also in Manhattan and probably other places too, there are spots where two numbered streets intersect -- as opposed to places where numbered streets cross numbered avenues.

For example, Third and Fourth Streets in San Francisco both intersect with 16th Street. In fact, Third intersects with all numbered streets up to 25th. This is because Third is a "rogue" numbered street that departs from the usual grid pattern, and that no one ever bothered to rename.

In Greenwich Village, W. 4th intersects with W. 10th through 12th Streets.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
West Virginia has the highest mean elevation of any state east of the Mississippi, but has none of the top 10 peaks.
Oh it's even better than that. It has none of the top 200 peaks. Bear in mind this is just a list of southeastern peaks, so it doesn't even include the few dozen northeastern mountains that are also taller.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
If we can include Canada among our oddities, there is a town named St. Bernard's, Newfoundland and Labrador. It has the odd distinction of containing the names of three breeds of dogs.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Oddly, Illinois does not have a Lincoln County despite the state's nickname being the "Land of Lincoln."

Ironically, Illinois does have a Calhoun County, a Douglas County and a Lee County. Those counties are named after John Calhoun, an ardent opponent of abolition from South Carolina; Stephen Douglas, Lincoln's primary political rival; and the family of Robert E. Lee, Commander of the Confederate Army.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:54 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
New personal oddities, which are actually quite complicated:

I now live 15 minutes from Downtown Denver, but now live outside of the city/county of Denver's borders. When I lived within its borders, I was 25 minutes from downtown.

When I come home from work, I take my exit off the freeway in Denver County. In a matter of 5 minutes and 2.7 miles, I pass through a total of three counties (Denver, Adams, Jefferson) to get home (Jefferson).

My nearest grocery store, gas station, barber, and movie theater are in the same city as me, but are in a different county. These locations are a half mile away from my home.

My nearest Wal-Mart is 1 mile away, is in the same county as my home, but in a different city.

To further complicate things, my home, the grocery store, gas station, barber, movie theater, and the Wal-Mart, are ALL IN THE SAME ZIP CODE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.