Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 09:57 AM

1,235 posts, read 943,364 times

Advertisements

The southernmost point of Isreal is only slightly farther south than Gainesville, Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 11:10 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Pensacola, Florida is closer to Baton Rouge than it is to Jacksonville or Orlando.

Alaska actually stretches pretty far south and many parts of Alaska have winters that are less brutal than the Great Lakes area.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:08 AM

977 posts, read 567,604 times
I just thought of this one while on a recent Amtrak trip from DC to NYC: You can travel through 6 states on a trip of less than 200 miles (MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, and CT) between Elkton, MD and Greenwich, CT, following the I-95 corridor. You can travel entirely within a single state on a trip of 1,071 miles (from Prudhoe Bay to Homer, AK -- yes, there is a road connection!)

UPDATE -- I was curious so I tried this on Google Maps: if you travelled from the southernmost point on I-95 in Maine and went the same 1,071 miles of the Prudhoe Bay to Homer, Alaska trip you would end up in Georgia, near Savannah (approximately). That would give a trip encompassing ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, and GA for a total of 14 states.

Last edited by stremba; 04-06-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-06-2018, 04:41 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
<>UPDATE -- I was curious so I tried this on Google Maps: if you travelled from the southernmost point on I-95 in Maine and went the same 1,071 miles of the Prudhoe Bay to Homer, Alaska trip you would end up in Georgia, near Savannah (approximately). That would give a trip encompassing ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, and GA for a total of 14 states.
IIR, you can travel all 48 States without crossing any border twice if you start in Maine. I'm not sure how to verify that one.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:18 PM

New York City and even a part of the Jersey Shore are more west of Boston than they are south.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:21 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
While Niagara Falls is the best-known falls in New York, it is not its highest falls. That honor belongs to Taughannock Falls, in the Finger lakes region of the state.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:27 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Pensacola, Florida is closer to Baton Rouge than it is to Jacksonville or Orlando.

Alaska actually stretches pretty far south and many parts of Alaska have winters that are less brutal than the Great Lakes area.

Also most people will think that southeast Alaska is the southernmost point, which goes down to 54.6N which is right around the Danish/German border. However the actual southern most point is way to the west in the Aleutian Islands which goes even further south down to 51.2N which is just a bit south of London or a bit north of Vancouver Island.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:05 AM

Yuma, Arizona is less than 100 miles away from the Gulf of California. The state just barely missed having a coast.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:19 PM

977 posts, read 567,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
IIR, you can travel all 48 States without crossing any border twice if you start in Maine. I'm not sure how to verify that one.
Well, if I were more ambitious, I would translate the bordering relationships of the US states into a mathematical graph and then verify whether that graph had a Hamilton path. If you are unfamiliar, in graph theory, a graph is simply a set of two different types of elements. There are elements called vertices (singular, vertex) that form the basis of the graph. Each vertex may (or may not) be connected to any other given vertex by an edge. The graph is simply the set of all the vertices and edges. A graph is said to have a Hamilton path if it is possible to travel from a given vertex to all of the other vertices without travelling along any edge more than once.

The application to this problem is obvious; each state would be a vertex, and an edge would exist between any two states that share a border. For example the vertex labeled ME would be connected by an edge only to NH. NH would be connected to VT, MA, and ME, and so on. Technically the vertices labeled HI and AK would have no edges connecting them to other vertices. (In graph theory terms, this graph of US states is called "disconnected" and those vertices are referred to as "isolated"). The other 48 vertices would all have connections, and it is certainly possible to pass from any given one of those 48 to any other by travelling along the edges. This part of the graph is called a subgraph, and this particular subgraph is called connected (which means just what you think it does, namely that there are edges that connect any vertex to any other).

UPDATE: All that abstraction may be interesting to some, but is not necessary. I believe I have verified the claim by the simple expedient of finding such a path. ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, TN, KY, OH, IN, MI, WI, IL, MO, AK, LA, TX, OK, KS, NE, IA, MN, ND, SD, MT, WY, CO, NM, AZ, UT, ID, WA, OR, CA, NV would be one such path. I have not only found one that doesn't cross the same border twice, but in addition one that does not visit the same state twice. I am sure that there are many other paths that meet the original requirement.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Yuma, Arizona is less than 100 miles away from the Gulf of California. The state just barely missed having a coast.
The southernmost area of Arizona is also farther south then the northernmost point of the Gulf of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.