Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Couldn't find this town on Googlemaps. There is a "Three States Church" about a mile east of the point you reference, but Streetview shows no town there.
There is a business establishment there called Magnolia Clubhouse, in Louisiana, which can be seen in the satellite view on Google maps. Just west of it are two buildings, about 200 feet apart. One is a house, in Texas, and the other is a commercial building in Louisiana, backed up square against the Arkansas line, with a truck parked behind it in Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Don't know if I said this already, but California's southernmost point touches the Mexican border, and it's northernmost point is at the latitude of the Great Lakes. Los Angeles and San Francisco are like 6-8 hours apart I think. Something else is that Texas takes an entire day to drive across....it's northernmost point nearly reaches Kansas' southern border, and it's southernmost point, without looking at a map, is further south than Florida or almost as far south. Other geographical oddities I know of exist with regards to East Omaha.

At one time, the Missouri River had a slightly different course, but due to a change in it, Iowa's state line actually briefly crosses and encompasses the west side of the Missouri River. Also, I-24 actually crosses from Tennessee into Georgia, then back into Tennessee. Only interstate in the country to cross the same state line multiple times. Finally, with regards to far southeast Missouri, below Cape Girardeau...Illinois, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee are all a short commute away.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is a business establishment there called Magnolia Clubhouse, in Louisiana, which can be seen in the satellite view on Google maps. Just west of it are two buildings, about 200 feet apart. One is a house, in Texas, and the other is a commercial building in Louisiana, backed up square against the Arkansas line, with a truck parked behind it in Arkansas.
I just checked that out and it's very interesting. You could just walk around that building and go in and out of three states!

Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
Antarctica is arguably the most inhospitable place on Earth. It's almost totally covered in ice and it larger than Europe. It has no permanent residents. Even the approximately 29 million penguins that go there to breed do not actually live on the continent.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Besides Rome and Vatican City, Kinshasa and Brazzaville are the two closest capitols. This is the only place in the world where two national capital cities are facing one another and in sight of each other on opposite banks of a river but I'm pretty sure they are not even connected via bridge.
That's quite the understatement. Here's something amazing:

Directions: Kinshasa, RDC to Brazzaville, Congo

To go from Kinshasa to Brazzaville by car only (without any ferries), you're looking at 13,308 kilometers one-way, through Angola (not sure why by looking at the map), Burundi, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Chad, Cameroon, Gabon and finally Congo. Safe to say, you better take the ferry.

There is no bridge on the Congo river from Matadi (roughly 140 km from the ocean) to just west of Kisangani, 1350 km upstream.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
That's quite the understatement. Here's something amazing:

Directions: Kinshasa, RDC to Brazzaville, Congo

To go from Kinshasa to Brazzaville by car only (without any ferries), you're looking at 13,308 kilometers one-way, through Angola (not sure why by looking at the map), Burundi, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Chad, Cameroon, Gabon and finally Congo. Safe to say, you better take the ferry.

There is no bridge on the Congo river from Matadi (roughly 140 km from the ocean) to just west of Kisangani, 1350 km upstream.
I just imagine a scenario where I guy in Brazzaville is like "Hey man, I'll meet you in Kinshasa for lunch. Oh wait, the ferry is out? Uh, better make that next week..."

Although in regards to GoogleMaps driving advice, is that route trying to avoid any potential warzones/rebels/tribal warfare as well by taking such a long route? It seems like even to avoid ferries across the Congo, you'd be able to get around the region without having to go all the way north to the Sudan and Chad. But maybe there's not good enough roads to get through the region more directly?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Also, I-24 actually crosses from Tennessee into Georgia, then back into Tennessee. Only interstate in the country to cross the same state line multiple times.
The Georgia - Tennessee borderline, just recently, is being hotly debated. Archival evidence now suggests that the state line originally was at a different latitude than where it is now. Water rights of the Tennessee River are involved, and one of the states covets the water supply which now belongs to the other state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_River

http://waterwebster.org/FloridaAlabamaGeorgia.htm

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...720641,00.html

Last edited by slowlane3; 03-08-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Besides Rome and Vatican City, Kinshasa and Brazzaville are the two closest capitols. This is the only place in the world where two national capital cities are facing one another and in sight of each other on opposite banks of a river but I'm pretty sure they are not even connected via bridge.
Vienna Austria, and Bratislava Slovakia, are almost as close to each other.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,492 times
part of Alaska is EAST of Maine

Libby, Montana is further WEST than both Las Vegas, Nevada and Needles, California.

Wichita, Kansas is further EAST than Tampico, Mexico, on the Gulf Coast

Parts of Kazakhstan are further WEST than the extreme east tip of Ethiopia.

Algiers, Algeria--in Africa, is further NORTH than the Midwestern town of Branson, Missouri.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I just imagine a scenario where I guy in Brazzaville is like "Hey man, I'll meet you in Kinshasa for lunch. Oh wait, the ferry is out? Uh, better make that next week..."

Although in regards to GoogleMaps driving advice, is that route trying to avoid any potential warzones/rebels/tribal warfare as well by taking such a long route? It seems like even to avoid ferries across the Congo, you'd be able to get around the region without having to go all the way north to the Sudan and Chad. But maybe there's not good enough roads to get through the region more directly?
That's what I thought initially but I looked more closely and there just aren't any bridges. Sometimes when you don't zoom in enough, it looks like some cities are connected, but there's just no bridge on the Congo or Ubangi rivers. The best example is the route from Gemena, RDC to Bangui, Central African Republic. There seems to be a ~100km road between the two but it stops right at the river just southeast of Bangui, so since those ferries aren't programmed into Google Maps, the directions give a 9000 km loop (same loop as Kinshasa-Brazzaville basically). There's no north/south road close to the Atlantic either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.