Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenMind11 View Post
The great lakes were formed from glacier melt. Most of the water comes from that, I'm pretty sure the lakes will dry out eventually as there is not enough water to replenish them. Once water is taken from them, it is gone forever. I know there are cases of the water levels going down in some of the lakes due to companies sucking water out of the lacks and bottling it, unfortunately it the lakes don't have the capability to revert back to previous levels once the water goes away.
they only can drain so low, then there levels of Replenishment will drop below the outflow, as less and less water is able to flow out of the lake, and they have dams, and locks on the rivers connecting the great lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM

155 posts, read 233,884 times
Yes I agree, I edited my post right before your comment. It's not going to happen overnight, the point is the natural watershed can only support so much, certainly not the size of the lakes in their current state. Therefore, whatever water goes away weather its man-made or natural, it won't be able to return to the previous levels. One of the many reasons we need to protect our lakes and keep them pristine!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Yes I agree, I edited my post right before your comment. It's not going to happen overnight, the point is the natural watershed can only support so much, certainly not the size of the lakes in their current state. Therefore, whatever water goes away weather its man-made or natural, it won't be able to return to the previous levels. One of the many reasons we need to protect our lakes and keep them pristine!
Yes we need to protect them, but the Great Lakes have a normal high water/ low water cycle that takes years to run through. In the 80's the lakes were at an all time high level, and in the 90's and early 00's they were much lower. The last few years they have been rebounding in water level. The amount of snowpack that is on the ground greatly affects the lake levels the following year. It is NOT true that the lakes cannot rebound from water loss, it does so on a regular basis.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 PM

155 posts, read 233,884 times
Perhaps I'm mistaken, thanks for the clarification!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,558,321 times
Florida is the only state containing two rivers with the same name: Withlachooche

Seattle, Washington and Madison, Wisconsin are both located on an ithsmus.

The names of all the continents in the earth's eastern hemisphere begin and end with the same letter.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,023 times
I have no idea if this is true, but there is one web site that claims that Nebraska is the state with the most miles of river.

I assume Alaska would have more though.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Florida is the only state containing two rivers with the same name: Withlachooche
There are three Rock Rivers in Michigan, and two Rock Rivers in Vermont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I have no idea if this is true, but there is one web site that claims that Nebraska is the state with the most miles of river.

I assume Alaska would have more though.
Nebraska is second to Texas, as the state with the most individual school districts. But last year, Nebraska law was changed to allow the same failed school consolidation plans that have destroyed education in other states, just because it is cheaper.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:22 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,778,884 times
PA has a number of locations where tributaries to a river entering at nearly the same point, but on opposite sides, have the same name. On the Susquehanna River south of Harrisburg (by Three Mile Island), two Conewago Creeks empty in from opposite sides (both are fairly large streams larger than what are sometimes called rivers elsewhere). Just north of Harrisburg, two Fishing Creeks empty in from opposite sides.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,234 times
Quote:
The great lakes were formed from glacier melt. Most of the water comes from that, I'm pretty sure the lakes will dry out eventually (of course not anytime soon) as there is not enough water to replenish them. At the very least I imagine they will greatly reduce to whatever the streams/rivers can sustain. Once water is taken from the lakes them, it is gone forever. I know there are cases of the water levels going down in some of the lakes due to companies sucking water out of the lacks and bottling it, unfortunately it the lakes don't have the capability to revert back to previous levels once the water goes away.

The Great Lakes were formed by the WEIGHT of the glaciers. What will eventually kill the Great Lakes isn't lack of water, it is the ground below the lakes steadily rising. Eventually the water will start to flow out the south end of the system, probably Chicago, and the lakes over millions of years will gradually disappear.

The Great Lakes are in a wet region. Lack of water isn't its problem.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
The longest river in the United States within one state is, oddly, not the longest river with that name. The Colorado River of Texas is the longest river within a state, and the 11-th longest in the USA, but not as long as the other Colorado River that flows through the Grand Canyon.

There are also two Red Rivers in the USA, both of which form a state boundary.

Fourteen states were named after the river that flows through or past them. Not vice-versa -- the river was always named first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.