Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2021, 09:23 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,221,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
There are two US cities that border two other states on two sides:
Weirton, WV borders Ohio on the west and Pennsylvania on the east.
Pittsburg, NH borders Maine on the east and Vermont on the southwest.
And there is a third city that might meet this criteria, but it’s uncertain: Hancock, MD appears to be very close to bordering Pennsylvania on the north, and it borders West Virginia on the south.
Cairo, IL borders Missouri and Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 09:25 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Quote:
There are two US cities that border two other states on two sides:
Weirton, WV borders Ohio on the west and Pennsylvania on the east.
Pittsburg, NH borders Maine on the east and Vermont on the southwest.
And there is a third city that might meet this criteria, but it’s uncertain: Hancock, MD appears to be very close to bordering Pennsylvania on the north, and it borders West Virginia on the south.
Laughlin, NV borders Arizona to the east and California to the west.

The Missouri River separates Sioux City, IA from Nebraska along the southern part of its western border, and the Big Sioux River separates Sioux City from South Dakota along the northern part of its western border.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:32 PM

11,775 posts, read 7,986,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
On a related note, Arlington, VA is of course a county not a city. It might be the only county in the country that is referred to pretty much exclusively in common parlance without "county" added to it. That's primarily because it is a county that contains no municipalities. It has no boroughs, no towns, no villages, not even census-designated places within its borders. It functions as its own municipality.

I'm not aware of any other county like that in the U.S. The boroughs of New York double as (generally ignored) counties but they are part of a larger shared municipality New York. That is also an oddity, but a different kind.
I actually didn't know this. I always thought Arlington was a city.

Why are there no municipalities within it?

Old 02-20-2021, 09:48 PM

409 posts, read 398,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I actually didn't know this. I always thought Arlington was a city.

Why are there no municipalities within it?
In Virginia you either are an independent city or a county. So there are no cities or towns within counties and cities don’t belong to counties.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:23 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,221,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
In Virginia you either are an independent city or a county. So there are no cities or towns within counties and cities don’t belong to counties.

That's not quite right. Cities are indeed independent (which is a Virginia oddity) from counties, but there are towns in counties such as Blacksburg or Front Royal to name just two.

I'm not sure why no-one ever tried to incorporate a town within Arlington County, but I imagine it's because Arlington was mostly empty farmland until the 20th century and then developed in a suburban fashion with several developments in a relatively short period of time.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:30 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,592,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Right, that's why I said "hypothetically." E.g., if they extended route 138 through the whole north shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, or if there was a ferry further northeast. Neither of which is true now --- I think! I'm hardly an expert in the region.
Yes, but a hypothetical ferry between Boston and Portland would also solve the Maine problem and make s circular US trip possible

Old 02-21-2021, 10:21 AM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Laughlin, NV borders Arizona to the east and California to the west.

The Missouri River separates Sioux City, IA from Nebraska along the southern part of its western border, and the Big Sioux River separates Sioux City from South Dakota along the northern part of its western border.
Oops, I should’ve included the full statement from Wikipedia. It says “only three cities in the United States ...border two other states on two sides, and its own state on the other two sides.” That’s specifically what makes those cities I mentioned unique.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:55 AM

409 posts, read 398,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Cairo, IL borders Missouri and Kentucky.
Looked at Cairo on street view, that place has seen better days, wow.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:38 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
Looked at Cairo on street view, that place has seen better days, wow.
That city has been struggling for decades. It’s population was over 15,000 at one time, now it’s barely 2000. It’s slow demise isn’t what should happen to a city that’s positioned at the confluence of two major rivers. A city in a prime location as a significant river port. Cairo should be an important industrial hub and a regional commerce and trade center. But all of this is a topic for another thread.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:14 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
That city has been struggling for decades. It’s population was over 15,000 at one time, now it’s barely 2000. It’s slow demise isn’t what should happen to a city that’s positioned at the confluence of two major rivers. A city in a prime location as a significant river port. Cairo should be an important industrial hub and a regional commerce and trade center. But all of this is a topic for another thread.
Cairo WAS as significant river port--in the 19th century. Being at the confluence of two major rivers just doesn't mean much to a city's importance or economy anymore. Yes, lots of river barges carrying tons of bulk still pass by the town every day, but they don't stop there. No reason to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.