Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 02:34 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

Louisiana is slightly larger than England. Louisiana, however, has only 4.5 million residents, England has 51 million citizens.

However, the state of New Jersey is still more densely populated than is England. If you multiplied New Jersey's population density into Louisiana, Louisiana would have 61 million residents, easily beating California for the most populated state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Louisiana is slightly larger than England. Louisiana, however, has only 4.5 million residents, England has 51 million citizens.

However, the state of New Jersey is still more densely populated than is England. If you multiplied New Jersey's population density into Louisiana, Louisiana would have 61 million residents, easily beating California for the most populated state.
England has done a wonderful job of dense cities and leaving so much of its wonderful countryside undeveloped. Add Wales and Scotland in the mix and you have miles and miles of wilderness land. Protions of Scotland have some of the only remaining true wilderness land left in Western Europe.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 PM

511 posts, read 491,216 times
The highest elevation east of the Rockies and west of the Pyrenees is in South Dakota.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
Yesterday I went skiing at lookout pass on the Idaho/Montana border. You can ski either on Idaho or Montana and 2 different time zones. Seemed kinda odd.
Yes, the mountain time zone line is quite odd. It goes east of Idaho in the panhandle, then west of Idaho as you head south, even into Eastern Oregon.

I believe it has to do with Spokane being the media capital of the Idaho panhandle, or going back even further, the business capital of the region.

What is weird is if you choose to stay in LaGrande, OR or Baker City, OR, you might get both the Portland and Boise stations, and when it comes to network programming, they are two hours apart. One for the time zone, and one for the fact that mountain time runs an hour earlier than Pacific/Eastern.
Stay with me here...Leno and Letterman can be seen in these locations at 9:35pm Pacific out of Boise. An oddity of geography for sure.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Yes, the mountain time zone line is quite odd. It goes east of Idaho in the panhandle, then west of Idaho as you head south, even into Eastern Oregon.

I believe it has to do with Spokane being the media capital of the Idaho panhandle, or going back even further, the business capital of the region.

What is weird is if you choose to stay in LaGrande, OR or Baker City, OR, you might get both the Portland and Boise stations, and when it comes to network programming, they are two hours apart. One for the time zone, and one for the fact that mountain time runs an hour earlier than Pacific/Eastern.
Stay with me here...Leno and Letterman can be seen in these locations at 9:35pm Pacific out of Boise. An oddity of geography for sure.
This leads to a trivia question we had on another thread sometime back. Where can you be in a state that borders the Pacific and make a phone call to someone in a state that borders the Atlantic and only be one hour apart?

Since half the answer is given above, will give the answer. Since the Mountain Time Zone goes into Oregon at LaGrande and Baker City, someone in that part of Oregon (a state which borders the Pacific) could be on the phone with someone in Pensacola or Panama City Beach, Florida and only one hour apart as the panhandle portion of Florida (a state which borders the Atlantic) is in the Central Time Zone.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Another example of this, Jtur88, is Estcourt Station, Maine. Put that one into Wikipedia, if you want a true 'oddity of geography'. This place also triggered off a Homeland Security incident with a French Canadian with a criminal record, if I recall.
Actually you can get to the rest of Maine from Escourt Station without going into Canada. Their are logging roads that spiderweb all through that area and they are maintained by the logging companies and the "North Maine Woods" group. There is no public road though that links them to the rest of Maine. I have been to Escourt Station quite a few times when I lived up there and never went into Canada to get there. Well, except to get gas which is on the Canadian side of the border... which is where Jalbert got into trouble back in 99 or 2000. He crossed the border with a shotgun and is a convicted felon. Simple solution would have been to leave the gun on the other side of the border to fill up with gas, but it is easy to forget the International border runs right through the middle of the group of houses there.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 AM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
The only active diamond mine in the United States is located near Murphreesboro, Arkansas.

Manitoulin Island, Ontario is the largest island located within a freshwater lake in the world.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 AM

504 posts, read 1,270,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Manitoulin Island, Ontario is the largest island located within a freshwater lake in the world.
I'd like to visit there someday.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
The only active diamond mine in the United States is located near Murphreesboro, Arkansas.
No it isn't. There is now a working mine on the Wyoming-Colorado state line, too, with economical reserves of diamonds discovered just a few years ago. The mine was worked from 1996 to 2001, but suspended operations because of litigation over the mineral rights. Technically, you're right, though, as Kelsey Lake is not "active" at this time. But Arkansas's claim no longer has that ring (pardon the pun) of truth.

============

There is a football stadium in West Virginia with enough seats to hold the entire population of the largest city in the state. Mountaineer stadium in Morgantown will hold the 52,000 residents of Charleston, with 8,000 seats unoccupied. Not to be outdone, the high school football stands in Cuero, Texas, hold more people than the entire population of Cuero (and is always full on Friday night.) The number of names on the waiting list for season tickets for Packers games is 87% of the population of Green Bay. 62% of the city's population already has season tickets.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-30-2012 at 12:17 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
New underwater archeological sites: The Three Gorges Dam project in China displaced some 1.24 people. Residents were to be compensated by the government for their losses, but many were not because funding supposedly ran out. When the resulting reservoir was created, more than 1300 ancient archeological sites were flooded. Most of the sites could not be excavated prior to the flooding due to their size, or because of time constraints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.