Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We have proven it. The census bureau agrees with us. You prove that Will County, Illinois is NOT suburban, that it's something else.

It won't matter. cry_havoc is losing this argument, and his rationale is getting nuttier and nuttier. BTW, your poverty figures are quite similar to Denver's for city v suburbs.
The person making the claim has the burden of proof. Basic Internet and city data etiquette. If you cant back up your own evidence dont present it. I am not surprised that you are resorting to excuses.

As, for this argument, I have won it a LONG time ago.

My evidence still stands and I am waiting on alternative evidence. Almost nothing has been presented except by Nei.

Even then. Nei you did a good job, BUT it looks like you included mostly NYC and NJ. What about NY and CT suburbs? For places you labeled city and suburb what is the prospective poverty rate? Finally, how do we know if it is city or suburb? What is your source for labeling this, and can you back it up with data, like US census data?

Once you have done this, and included all the NYC metro area, you need to total the poverty rate. A bunch of suburbs with a lower poverty rate than NYC might make the suburbs seem like they have less, but perhaps if you add them all together it will show us differently.

Anyway good work so far. You are on the right track.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No click on the link, it's city-data
I felt bad for you btownboss4 so I decided to help you.

More poverty is in Chicago suburbs than the city. Source PBS.

If you want to go ahead and break apart the data go for it, but it will just support what I am saying.

BTW, you're welcome.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

If you want to go ahead and break apart the data go for it, but it will just support what I am saying.

BTW, you're welcome.
The Rates are lower in the suburbs, about 70% of Metro Chicagos people live in Suburbs, so wouldn't it be logical that there is more poverty in tge Suburbs unless Chicago has 3.7x the poverty rate, which would be about 31%

Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Even then. Nei you did a good job, BUT it looks like you included mostly NYC and NJ. What about NY and CT suburbs? For places you labeled city and suburb what is the prospective poverty rate? Finally, how do we know if it is city or suburb? What is your source for labeling this, and can you back it up with data, like US census data?

Once you have done this, and included all the NYC metro area, you need to total the poverty rate. A bunch of suburbs with a lower poverty rate than NYC might make the suburbs seem like they have less, but perhaps if you add them all together it will show us differently.

My source is the 2010 census, from their website.

I'm going by county, each county listed has a poverty rate (what do you mean by prospective poverty rate, it's labelled on my table). The NY suburbs are there; Long Island (Suffolk + Nassau counties), lower Hudson Valley (Westchester, Putnam and Orange counties). I omitted some of the outer counties of the NY metro area, I don't think belong in the NYC metro area. Some parts do get commuter rail service, but culturally and distance wise they are rather separate. Suburbia is patchy; continuous suburban development ends. And their population is low. I added in these exurb counties in a new table. New Haven county is built up but it connects more with New England than NYC.

I labelled city vs suburb from my familiarity of the area, but following this pattern. Everything in the NYC limits gets a city label except for Staten Island which gets a mostly city label. The rest of the counties were labelled depending on how much was an old city that predated the expansion of the NY metro area, for example, Fairfield County contains two old cities: Bridgeport (rust belt like) and Stamford (function as a secondary downtown office area), but the rest is suburb, so I labelled the county as "mostly suburb".

Happy now?

Look at my table; I calculated the poverty rate of city (just using the 5 NYC counties) and suburbs (everything else). Exurbs are the added outer counties (ulster - ocean).
Attached Thumbnails
You move into a subdivision in the Suburbs. How do your new neighbors treat you?-nyc-poverty.png  

Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:

BTW, you're welcome.
It does not say the poverty rate is higher in the suburbs. Two separate things!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
The person making the claim has the burden of proof. Basic Internet and city data etiquette. If you cant back up your own evidence dont present it. I am not surprised that you are resorting to excuses.

As, for this argument, I have won it a LONG time ago.

My evidence still stands and I am waiting on alternative evidence. Almost nothing has been presented except by Nei.

I proved it. The census bureau says Will County is suburban. It's now up to YOU to prove it's something else.

Gosh, the rest of us did all sorts of calculations for OUR cities, and you put us down. "Prove this. Prove that", blah, blah. Are you trying to get in good with a mod?

For the mods, I would point out that all this calculating poverty rates is way off topic.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My source is the 2010 census, from their website.

I'm going by county, each county listed has a poverty rate (what do you mean by prospective poverty rate, it's labelled on my table). The NY suburbs are there; Long Island (Suffolk + Nassau counties), lower Hudson Valley (Westchester, Putnam and Orange counties). I omitted some of the outer counties of the NY metro area, I don't think belong in the NYC metro area. Some parts do get commuter rail service, but culturally and distance wise they are rather separate. Suburbia is patchy; continuous suburban development ends. And their population is low. I added in these exurb counties in a new table. New Haven county is built up but it connects more with New England than NYC.

I labelled city vs suburb from my familiarity of the area, but following this pattern. Everything in the NYC limits gets a city label except for Staten Island which gets a mostly city label. The rest of the counties were labelled depending on how much was an old city that predated the expansion of the NY metro area, for example, Fairfield County contains two old cities: Bridgeport (rust belt like) and Stamford (function as a secondary downtown office area), but the rest is suburb, so I labelled the county as "mostly suburb".

Happy now?

Look at my table; I calculated the poverty rate of city (just using the 5 NYC counties) and suburbs (everything else). Exurbs are the added outer counties (ulster - ocean).
You put a lot of work but this is suburban according to YOU. Your opinion doesnt make an area suburban, or not.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I proved it. The census bureau says Will County is suburban. It's now up to YOU to prove it's something else.

Gosh, the rest of us did all sorts of calculations for OUR cities, and you put us down. "Prove this. Prove that", blah, blah. Are you trying to get in good with a mod?

For the mods, I would point out that all this calculating poverty rates is way off topic.
What are you talking about? I am calling him out too? He actually did some work, but like btownhouse his data is irrelevant since it doesnt support that the areas are suburban.

So you have documentation that 100% of WIll COunty is suburban. Please show it. Afterwards you can move on to the next county until we have gone through every city/suburban county in the US. You are not even close to being done with Chicago yet, much less Will County.

I already proved my point. I have numerous links showing suburbs have higher poverty rates than cities. Remember the ones you are in denial about that you refuse to acknowledge.My point stands until you disprove it. I have evidence the earth is round, in this case suburbs have a higher poverty rate, you need to show that it is in fact flat as you are saying with suburbs having a lower poverty rate. So far you have posted irrelevant data.

I am sorry, but posting a bunch of junk doesnt help your case. Try a little harder and put some effort into this.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I am calling him out too? He actually did some work, but like btownhouse his data is irrelevant since it doesnt support that the areas are suburban.

So you have documentation that 100% of WIll COunty is suburban. Please show it. Afterwards you can move on to the next county until we have gone through every city/suburban county in the US. You are not even close to being done with Chicago yet, much less Will County.

I already proved my point. I have numerous links showing suburbs have higher poverty rates than cities. Remember the ones you are in denial about that you refuse to acknowledge.My point stands until you disprove it. I have evidence the earth is round, in this case suburbs have a higher poverty rate, you need to show that it is in fact flat as you are saying with suburbs having a lower poverty rate. So far you have posted irrelevant data.

I am sorry, but posting a bunch of junk doesnt help your case. Try a little harder and put some effort into this.
Oh, no you haven't! You haven't posted ONE link that showed that!

Your insulting manner and your psychobabble are highly annoying. I implore the mods to close this thread.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Well I like to think I did an especially thorough job, but Katiana did something very similar:

//www.city-data.com/forum/23141187-post164.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.