Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:30 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, everyone here thats lived in a suburb seems to agree that they know most of their niegbors, and its not a living hell, while all the insecure urbanites are so damn full of the selves that they believe anyone who doesnt live like them is somehow demented.
Of course not everyone agrees. You need to learn that life is not full of sweeping generalizations.

However, this does not change the fact that most suburbs are places were people are miserable, and dont know their neighbors. If you are one of the lucky ones who is not in a typical suburb I am happy for you. Celebrate what you have btownboss and be thankful your situation is better than most in the same situation.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Of course not everyone agrees. You need to learn that life is not full of sweeping generalizations.

However, this does not change the fact that most suburbs are places were people are miserable, and dont know their neighbors. If you are one of the lucky ones who is not in a typical suburb I am happy for you. Celebrate what you have btownboss and be thankful your situation is better than most in the same situation.
Please provide some documentation for this. The people here on CD seem to disagree. What is the basis for your statement?

I think the reason suburbs are friendlier is that more people are there for the long haul. A lot of city dwellers rent and move frequently. That defeats the purpose of getting to know your neighbors.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:24 AM

466 posts, read 982,422 times
My conclusion is that this person is simply a troll, looking for a reaction. It's time to simply ignore his ridiculous, bizarre and strange rants about the suburbs.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:

How funny... you say life is not full of sweeping generalizations, then go on to make one yourself (and continuously in this thread).

Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
How funny... you say life is not full of sweeping generalizations, then go on to make one yourself (and continuously in this thread).
And not only that but the vast majority of people live in suburbs, Atlanta, NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Sanfrancisco, Los Angeles, Seattle ect all have 70% outside city limits.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
If it is true it is not a generalization.

I am sorry to be harbinger of these facts to you.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please provide some documentation for this. The people here on CD seem to disagree. What is the basis for your statement?

I think the reason suburbs are friendlier is that more people are there for the long haul. A lot of city dwellers rent and move frequently. That defeats the purpose of getting to know your neighbors.
Plenty agree and a few disagree.

The basis for my views is a little something called truth. It will set you free.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:

... Except what "facts" have you brought to me (and other posters), other than your odd perceptions? You have yet to show your source for your "theory" and there is no such study to support it... so therefor... it is a generalization, not "truth" or even "fact".

People are equally miserable everywhere... in small towns, suburbs, and even big cities. There is no magical elixir for happiness in city-living and city living doesn't suit all people. Obviously, suburb-living doesn't suit you... so... please... stay out, it might cause you to be even more miserable.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

Quote:
Plenty agree and a few disagree.

The basis for my views is a little something called truth. It will set you free.
I'm beginning to think you had a bad experience in the burbs, and that's why you're so off the wall with this. I've been on a lot of threads, both on P&OC and Urban Planning, and I've never seen this kind of vitriol towards the suburbs.

You don't need to quote the Bible to me, bub. I had decades of religious indoctrination/instruction. I can quote a verse on just about any topic you name.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 PM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
You are also ignoring all the people who chimed in agreeing with me about how terrible the suburbanites can be.
LOL -- I didn't realize you had more than one personality!

Quote:
Im sorry you feel isolated and I just want to help you.
sarcasm (ˈsɑːkæzəm) — n 1. mocking, contemptuous, or ironic language intended to convey scorn or insult 2. the use or tone of such language

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, everyone here thats lived in a suburb seems to agree that they know most of their niegbors, and its not a living hell, while all the insecure urbanites are so damn full of the selves that they believe anyone who doesnt live like them is somehow demented.
I'm not exactly sure why anyone -- urban or suburban resident or otherwise, and anything in between -- would ridicule anyone else's lifestyle. It's insane.

Quote:
OMG, if that wasn't so pathetically sad, it might actually be funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.