Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,581 times

Advertisements

The Ugly American mentality is generally described as the ignorant, arrogant, rowdy, and disrespectful behavior displayed by some US travellers who behave unreasonably in foreign countries--which includes refusing to understand the language and customs of such country(ies) they are visiting.

Source: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American_(epithet[/url])

The Ugly American mentality is usually met with shock, disgust, and pity by the local inhabitants of the country whom the Ugly Americans are visiting and is also universally condemned by both the natives of such country(ies) and by reasonable US citizens.

BUT...

If an arrogant and ignorant foreigner visits the United States and refuses to understand the local customs, such as speaking in English, such a person should be expected to be greeted with utmost respect and accomodated for the person's ignorance of the English language and customs of the United States.

Can someone explain why it's unreasonable for arrogant and ignorant US citizens, AKA Ugly Americans, to be ignorant of the customs and language of countries when they are abroad BUT it's completely reasonable for arrogant and ignorant foreign citizens to be ignorant of the customs and usage of the English language in the US when they are in the US (in fact, they're expected, by law, to be accomodated in their foreign language)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
I think you might be confusing two separate issues/concepts - tourism and immigration.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think you might be confusing two separate issues/concepts - tourism and immigration.
that's the first thing I thought as well.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
The "Ugly American" stereotype is usually embraced by Europeans and other first-world countries, not so much places where the people you're referring to come from.

And yes, it is incredibly hypocritical. I could go on for days about it.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
In addition to confusing tourism and immigration, I think the OP is just confused. I've lost count of the number of my fellow Americans traveling abroad who address everyone they meet - from front desk staff to bus drivers - in English without even an inquiry as to whether they speak the language. Let alone those who don't even bother to learn how to say " thank you" in the local language. And we often expect and generally receive restaurant menus in English when traveling in a non-English speaking country. Pretty damned accommodating if you ask me. On the other hand, tourists to the US must learn rudimentary English if they are to handle something as simple as a hotel check-in. We are not a country with a solid reputation for our foreign language skills - even in the hospitality industry.

I suspect the OP is feigning some ginned up indignation to exorcise his or her xenophobia. While others may want to play, I have no interest in providing such a platform.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:12 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
In addition to confusing tourism and immigration, I think the OP is just confused. I've lost count of the number of my fellow Americans traveling abroad who address everyone they meet - from front desk staff to bus drivers - in English without even an inquiry as to whether they speak the language. Let alone those who don't even bother to learn how to say " thank you" in the local language. And we often expect and generally receive restaurant menus in English when traveling in a non-English speaking country. Pretty damned accommodating if you ask me. On the other hand, tourists to the US must learn rudimentary English if they are to handle something as simple as a hotel check-in. We are not a country with a solid reputation for our foreign language skills - even in the hospitality industry.
Personally I think that if you go to a country then you should speak their language. That goes for people from the US going to other countries as well. You're a guest on their soil, after all.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Been overseas about 25-30 times, and there definitely are ugly americans. I was in Italy last week and every time we ran into groups of Americans (young people mostly) we normally ended up whispering "oh god...." at how loud and stupid they were all acting. They just come off so ignorant and act like they're somehow special.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
As a guest in foreign countries Americans need to be “respectful” of others, and they often appear not to be.

Americans need to be better hosts when foreign visitors come here to spend time and see our nation, again we Americans fail at being better hosts and lack “respect” for others.

IMHO

Old 02-26-2012, 11:46 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Because it is a complete double standard europeans use to feel significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.