Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^That is a really weird map....I can't say I understand it though.....that, or it's really off.
As a 30 year resident of Savannah, GA all I can say is....

Anything in yellow pretty much sucks in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Now on the flip side I can say Savannah, GA and New Orleans, LA are definitely hotter and more humid than where I come from.
You would be correct.

I moved to the Seattle area last May... OMG I actually had a summer where I could go outside! 60's and 70's! Yes!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
Did someone say Memphis? NOooooo.... no way. Chattanooga does have a couple of small mountains in its suburbs - The breeze might make the summer weather more tolerable. The elevation change helps cool a bit as well.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Austin or San Antonio

Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I moved to the Seattle area last May... OMG I actually had a summer where I could go outside! 60's and 70's! Yes!!!!!!!!!!
The weather is the main reason I moved here from TN. It's nice to be able to go outside in the summer and not be covered in sweat and bugs within a few minutes.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
As a 30 year resident of Savannah, GA all I can say is....

Anything in yellow pretty much sucks in the summer.

You would be correct.

Report back in a few years about how you like the winter rainy season...

Old 02-15-2012, 02:27 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
How is anywhere in TX temperate? Then parts of the App mtns are "hot and humid". I don't think this map is very accurate.
I was going to say. No way is Dallas more temperate than Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
If you really, really want to experience US humidity try:

1) Louisiana...particularly New Orleans and the surrounding parishes....you can see the buildings sweat...same with Houston, Port Arthur Beaumont, Lake Charles, Pascagoula Miss....Mobile, Tallahassee....basically, anything on the Gulf....very hot, very sticky...same goes for Savannah, Hilton Head, Beaufort, Brunswick, Jacksonville......

Those southern climes are very, very humid. Go inland into Florida and you have literally arrived in Hell...Sebring Florida, Everglades City, Orlando, you can cut the air with a knife....same with Memphis and cities on the Mississippi river......

Mississippi and Louisiana probably take the cake though......

Moving North into those states and it's an entirely different climate. Altanta, for example, is in a valley below the foothills of the Appalachean trail. The climate in the Northern end of Georgia is entirely diffent than that of the Southern part of the state...night and day...don't get me wrong, Atlanta can be humid but, it pales in comparison to say, Waycross on a July night....drip drip drip......egads....can dehumidify enough....

The cities like Huntsville, Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Greenville SC, and Raleigh are not as bad as the deeeeeeeep South to which you infer....they just get that reputation.......it's simply not as bad as one might think.....it also gets considerably colder in this area in the winter than those areas further South.....

All in all, it may be humid but, overall it's a nice place to live. We don't have to "unearth" our cars in winter and a light coat is usually all you need. Couldn't pay me enough to have to live up North again....yuk.....I'll take all the humidity the South wants to dish out not to go through that again!
Northern Georgia is more temperate than the lower ends of the south, but saying the differences are like night and day is an exaggeration. Moving from Houston to Atlanta, the most notable difference was the shorter summer and cooler nights.

Not trying to be a jerk, but some people on here really do too much in acting like the weather in Atlanta is California-esque compared to the rest of the south.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,226,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I was going to say. No way is Dallas more temperate than Atlanta.

Northern Georgia is more temperate than the lower ends of the south, but saying the differences are like night and day is an exaggeration. Moving from Houston to Atlanta, the most notable difference was the shorter summer and cooler nights.

Not trying to be a jerk, but some people on here really do too much in acting like the weather in Atlanta is California-esque compared to the rest of the south.
Far from it. It is anything BUT califoriniaesk.....but, have you been in say, moultrie on a summer night verus say, cumming? That is night and day....you can smell the cypress and moss rotting.....ther is a very distinct difference. Check it out....in January, we are typically 10 degrees cooler than Macon's high....we routinely hit 30 as a low ON AVERAGE and 50 as a high....Macon, just 80 miles or so south? 10 degrees warmer for their high and it trends up from there as you head further south....columbus ga in the summer routinely hits 100 degree days....we don't....to be sure, 90 is no picnic but upper 90's to 100 in this humidity is very apparent.....

There is a substantial difference as you head into our foothills in the summer....changes to very temperate and even cool nights.....

Old 02-15-2012, 11:17 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Far from it. It is anything BUT califoriniaesk.....but, have you been in say, moultrie on a summer night verus say, cumming? That is night and day....you can smell the cypress and moss rotting.....ther is a very distinct difference. Check it out....in January, we are typically 10 degrees cooler than Macon's high....we routinely hit 30 as a low ON AVERAGE and 50 as a high....Macon, just 80 miles or so south? 10 degrees warmer for their high and it trends up from there as you head further south....columbus ga in the summer routinely hits 100 degree days....we don't....to be sure, 90 is no picnic but upper 90's to 100 in this humidity is very apparent.....

There is a substantial difference as you head into our foothills in the summer....changes to very temperate and even cool nights.....
Again, no doubt there is a difference, but it just isn't that extremely drastic, atleast not to me. "Night and day" is Chicago vs. Miami in December.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,226,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Again, no doubt there is a difference, but it just isn't that extremely drastic, atleast not to me. "Night and day" is Chicago vs. Miami in December.
We were talking about the deeeep south and oddly, for most people, they believe that belongs to anything south of Kentucky. Perhaps not you but, looking at your geography will show the difference. In Georgia's case, it's a state that is about 353 miles long, north to south and the climate is very different from the north end to southern end..and while valdosta swelters in july, we get by, 4 hours north, juat fine.

But hey, 90 is hot everywhere. Itgets warm in chicago too in the summer. The difference? The nights are cooler. The humidity in atlanta is 1 percentage point off that of cleveland and most people are not even aware of it, The difference is the temp. They have a very wet winter. Humidity is not the end all, be all when it comes to comfort. Check it out on google. Check out the relative humidity on an annual basis. Probably explains why cedar siding does so well in both climates. Up there it is red cedar siding that lasts....it's just painted over.

The last two summers were brutal here but, over 25 years???

Anyway, the subtle differences are considerable. Not drastic. We aren't comparing Greenland with Columbia....

Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,238 times
Quote:
If you really, really want to experience US humidity try:

1) Louisiana...particularly New Orleans and the surrounding parishes....you can see the buildings sweat...same with Houston, Port Arthur Beaumont, Lake Charles, Pascagoula Miss....Mobile, Tallahassee....basically, anything on the Gulf....very hot, very sticky...same goes for Savannah, Hilton Head, Beaufort, Brunswick, Jacksonville......

Those southern climes are very, very humid. Go inland into Florida and you have literally arrived in Hell...Sebring Florida, Everglades City, Orlando, you can cut the air with a knife....same with Memphis and cities on the Mississippi river......

Mississippi and Louisiana probably take the cake though......

Moving North into those states and it's an entirely different climate. Altanta, for example, is in a valley below the foothills of the Appalachean trail. The climate in the Northern end of Georgia is entirely diffent than that of the Southern part of the state...night and day...don't get me wrong, Atlanta can be humid but, it pales in comparison to say, Waycross on a July night....drip drip drip......egads....can dehumidify enough....

The cities like Huntsville, Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Greenville SC, and Raleigh are not as bad as the deeeeeeeep South to which you infer....they just get that reputation.......it's simply not as bad as one might think.....it also gets considerably colder in this area in the winter than those areas further South.....

All in all, it may be humid but, overall it's a nice place to live. We don't have to "unearth" our cars in winter and a light coat is usually all you need. Couldn't pay me enough to have to live up North again....yuk.....I'll take all the humidity the South wants to dish out not to go through that again!
I'm with you, Longstreet. We lived around the Houston area our whole life, and that was humid. After living here with almost 5 months of cold, dry, snowy weather, I would gladly trade it for some heat and humidity again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.