Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,940,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
So are "masculine" men basically scumbags with beards who work construction and are "feminine" men basically high class lawyers and other professionals who enjoy looking good and being confident?
The "High standards" set by Combos a manly city needs a league sports team, nearby NASCAR events and other running and racing events.
Cities gained points for bowling, fishing, woodworking and home improvement work.

Manly businesses were also taken into account: a high concentration of home improvement stores, BBQ restaurants and steak houses made a city manlier.

Sounds like "Manly" also means redneck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,769,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The "High standards" set by Combos a manly city needs a league sports team, nearby NASCAR events and other running and racing events.
Cities gained points for bowling, fishing, woodworking and home improvement work.

Manly businesses were also taken into account: a high concentration of home improvement stores, BBQ restaurants and steak houses made a city manlier.

Glad I'm a rather feminine man then!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,752,327 times
Quote:
So are "masculine" men basically scumbags with beards who work construction and are "feminine" men basically high class lawyers and other professionals who enjoy looking good and being confident?
There's plenty of manly rich men and poor feminine men.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 AM

197 posts, read 451,779 times
Quote:
high class lawyers and other professionals who enjoy looking good and being confident
Quote:
Glad I'm a rather feminine man then!

Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,034,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

One can have a bit of both.

I'm a guy that likes to look good. I take a little longer in the bathroom than the average guy, enjoy buying new clothes, etc., etc. Yet, I love a good steak, barbecue once in awhile, and as long as the fixing that needs to be done is not too complicated, I will fix a car issue (flat tire, jump starting, burned out headlight, simply things) or a home issue (say simple plumbing) on my own. And many years will get a fishing license. Have been to shooting ranges. Go camping a couple times a year.

But still pay over $20 for a good haircut, (don't use moisturizer here in California, but had to in midwest winters) have shopped at least once at Express.H&M, Macys, Hollister, etc. Sometimes wear an earring, work out, although usually like to get exercise hiking, so work out mostly for upper body.

A lot of guys can be a mixture of both.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,940,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
One can have a bit of both...
...A lot of guys can be a mixture of both.
I totally agree. You sound a bit like me. I can do all the "manly" things. I love the outdoors, but also appreciate museums, concerts, opera, theatre.

But since you have spent time in the midwest and are currently in CA, you are well aware of the difference in cultures, and the attitudes that go along with it.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 PM

143 posts, read 263,697 times
If a man can't fix it he shouldn't own it.

But really, the upper mountain west (WY/MT/ID), the Great Plains states, much of the South and Texoma region. But they exist everywhere.

Last edited by thisguysa; 10-02-2012 at 09:40 PM..

Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,773,299 times
Maryland, Virginia, Georgia, the Carolinas...I guess states with female names

Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM

9,030 posts, read 10,416,064 times
I ride a motorcycle and know how to do basic repairs on it, I hate to cook, I only exercise because my doctor has told me to, I have zero fashion sense, and I always hold the door open for ladies even when they don't thank me.

On the other hand: I ride a bicycle while wearing spandex, I'm skinny, I've never chopped wood or ridden a horse in my life, I always wash the dishes, and I sing in a chorus.

So am I "masculine" or not?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,400,038 times
Quote:
"Confident". Now that's a feminine word If I've ever seen one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.