Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:51 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Alaska.
Agree with this.

Possibly Texas and New York as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
What's all that mess?

All I did was make the point that military enlistment has more to do with poverty/quality of K-12 education, and less to do with "masculinity".
Right, and if you look at the region with the least amount of enlistment...well, it's pretty clear that the Plains are a masculine area. Is this person really going to argue that it's the least masculine area of the country? It's just a poor and inaccurate method.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:39 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times
New Jersey

Old 08-30-2015, 07:25 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
What's all that mess?

All I did was make the point that military enlistment has more to do with poverty/quality of K-12 education, and less to do with "masculinity".

How have you made that point that serving in the military has more to do with poverty and quality of education?? Maryland and Virginia are two of the wealthier states in the country and are always at the highest in the country for k-12 education from education week ratings and are high for military enlistment, the military is a deep part of the culture around virginia/dc/maryland.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 PM

387 posts, read 355,935 times
I think it also varies within a race/culture across different areas

When I think of Mexicans....I think the West Coast ones (California etc) are alot more Masculine acting and looking than the ones I encountered in NYC or the East Coast general...

The Mexicans out West have stronger builds and are larger in size than the Mexicans on the East Coast...

Old 09-01-2015, 12:00 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Yes, there are certain mannerisms, interests, body languages, and personal expression styles that tend to fall heavily on gender lines. All this acknowledged "masculine" and "feminine" are still subjective - heavily caught up in individual and/or cultural views of what a "real man" or "feminine woman" is in the first place.

Does "masculinity" mean "highly macho" or simply "willingness to own up to one's mistakes"?

I'll assume it means "high machismo". In that case, I'd have to say rural areas and small towns of the Red States....well, actually "Red Counties" is more accurate (thinking in a local-local-local sense). Of course even Blue Fortresses have their fair share of macho types, and still not at all a hard type of man to find. I'm just speaking from an "if forced to" perspective. Regardless, there's still a good portion of "unmanly" men in Red Counties.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:31 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times
Generally. Southern States, Mountain West(ID, MT,WY), and Urban Northeast. Least would be Urban West Coast cities like Seattle, Portland, SF, and LA. A large number of men in these cities are quite metrosexual looking, and this cross many different demographics.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:56 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
'

How does the saying go, "Steers and queers"?

Texans must HATE that movie. Thirty years have gone by and still this line from that old movie still gets dragged up.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:57 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Florida, California, Michigan, New York, Texas.
I get NY MI and TX. Florida and California most masculine???

Old 09-04-2015, 11:09 AM

213 posts, read 278,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post

I think the least Masculine White guys I have ever seen were in LA/Portland/Seattle.....Brooklyn, NY is also becoming that way with the invasion of Hipsters (which is ironic since it used to be all Mafia John Gotti types)....

In Seattle and Portland, and I'd suspect in many cities, the further you get from the city core, the more masculine the men seem. I moved from California to Washington and I'd argue Washington is a much more masculine state overall. Outside Seattle and Bellevue, there's a lot of good ol' boy types and blue collar values seem much more prominent than in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.