Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times

Advertisements

Panorama: Poor America [BBC - 12/2/2012] - YouTube!

We should get back on topic anyway, has everyone watched this documentary?

Do you actually think people in the richest country in the world people should have to queue up at 1am to get health care, do you think there should be millions of homeless children, do you think people should be neglected of food? Yes they may not starve to death but even going a day without food in a country so wealthy is an outrage IMO.

Do people in the states and some in this thread lack compassion that much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 PM

410 posts, read 949,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post

Panorama: Poor America [BBC - 12/2/2012] - YouTube!

We should get back on topic anyway, has everyone watched this documentary?

Do you actually think people in the richest country in the world people should have to queue up at 1am to get health care, do you think there should be millions of homeless children, do you think people should be neglected of food? Yes they may not starve to death but even going a day without food in a country so wealthy is an outrage IMO.

Do people in the states and some in this thread lack compassion that much?
Some may not make it, but we have to ask, can the rest of us be held culpable? Even Jesus drew the line, when he mustered up 5000 fishes for a group of travel-weary devotees, he did not extend the gesture to the feckless who stood cowering behind the hedges, for he knew they had shirked their lives through, and that there was no point bestowing help on a man who would not first bring help upon himself.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Or Starve View Post
Like it or not, I'm here to stay. Say hi to the "Deal With It" turtle for me....
Think I'll get me a 2nd account too then! When in Rome, as they say!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
Some may not make it, but we have to ask, can the rest of us be held culpable? Even Jesus drew the line, when he mustered up 5000 fishes for a group of travel-weary devotees, he did not extend the gesture to the feckless who stood cowering behind the hedges, for he knew they had shirked their lives through, and that there was no point bestowing help on a man who would not first bring help upon himself.
Sounds like a hot day in Grimsby, complete with the stench of bad fish.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Quote:
I don't believe in religion so no point quoting that.

Yes I think the stupendously rich and the public in general do have some culpability.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Scratch a Liberal, find a Communist - is that what they used to say? Good to see you guys showing your true colours, and shutting down debates you're losing by trying to undermine your opponents with baseless accusations!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:42 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya Business View Post
Believing that you're entitled to the money you earned doesn't equate to worshiping money.
Worshiping money = believing that they are the ultimate source of justice.

Quote:
How exactly is wealth redistribution fair? Imagine that you're back in grade school for a moment. You received a 95% on your latest test, while Sammy Slacker only received a 55%. You earned your grade because you studied a lot harder than your classmate. Would it be fair if Mr. Slacker received some of your test score points, that you earned? I think not. Same concept applies in the real world.
Would it be fair that Mr. Slacker is actually more gifted than you, no matter how hard you study for the test? Has it never happened before, that the most advanced students were snubbed by teachers or kicked out of school? Same concept applies to the real world; everyone has his/her own circumstances, that people might not have control of. So you, instead of passing your judgment, are better off *redistributing* your wealth, since you can never know what might happen to you tomorrow.

Quote:
What I am saying is that students who don't qualify for merit-based scholarships are entitled to invest their OWN money towards their college educations.
I understand what you are saying, but I'm pointing to you what's really behind it, the *other* part of a story that you are so conveniently skipping.

Last edited by erasure; 02-21-2012 at 12:04 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya Business View Post

Going to college shouldn't be a privilege. .
You finally got something correct. It should be a right, not the privilege of those who can afford the cost.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:28 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I don't believe in religion so no point quoting that.

Yes I think the stupendously rich and the public in general do have some culpability.
It's not so much about being a believer, it's an acknowledgement that the social safety net has roots in Christian teaching. I believe in a social safety net, but it can't do everything for everybody. People must take charge of their lives, and it defies logic to think that some of the poor aren't at least partly to blame for their condition.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
It's not so much about being a believer, it's an acknowledgement that the social safety net has roots in Christian teaching. I believe in a social safety net, but it can't do everything for everybody. People must take charge of their lives, and it defies logic to think that some of the poor aren't at least partly to blame for their condition.
It's many causes of poverty. I don't think anyone is disputing that. Some people are their own worst enemies, but there are often other issues at play. But to say that ALL or even most people are poor because of bad decisions is factually wrong.

Wealthier people make mistakes and bad decisions too. The difference is that wrong decisions are far more potentially catastrophic if you're poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.