Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:01 PM

704 posts, read 1,785,495 times

Advertisements

Is there a part of the country that is even remotely like this:

- Large, active Catholic population with Catholic schools (and, more generally, a strong church-going culture among all, but especially young, Christians)
- Many parks, forests, hiking opportunities
- Politically conservative (especially socially conservative)
- Decent amount of culture
- Few or no hipsters
- Strong family-oriented atmosphere
- Classy, but not snobby
- The bigger the city, the better
- Friendly
- Colleges and Universities nearby (especially Catholic ones), are a plus
- People are traditional, morally conservative, and polite.
- Decent public transportation

I was thinking St. Louis or Cincinnati, but I don't know. Is there a city, or a part of a city, like this? I realize that the list has a few contradictions, so obviously I'm not expecting a place to hit on all cylinders. But does anything come close?

Also, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, and Kansas City might be reasonable fits--although not on all of the criteria, to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,814,568 times
San Diego has a very large Catholic population with Catholic high schools and universities. It's a high COL here but if you can afford it, it's worth looking into. It's a big county and has something for everybody as far as lifestyles, California is very liberal but San Diego is really about 50/50 so you just have to find the people you fit in best with. Orange County also has a large Catholic population with thriving parishes. Maryland (Baltimore) and Massachusetts are heavily Catholic.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,551,660 times
Michigan is mostly moderate, but often outside of the major cities, it's more conservative than liberal.

Archdiocese of Detroit

Metro Detroit would have the most schools in the smallest radius within Michigan (some very well known and quite good).

The only thing I can say is that Detroit does indeed have hipsters.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,198,991 times
San Antonio would offer most of this, plus a low cost of living to boot. Public transport is not great, but it has an OK bus system.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,703,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Is there a part of the country that is even remotely like this:

- Large, active Catholic population with Catholic schools (and, more generally, a strong church-going culture among all, but especially young, Christians)-
Yes- Catholic is not the largest religion, but it is growing and active. There are 13 K-8 Catholic schools, and 3 large Catholic High schools. And plenty of young Christians of all denominations

- Many parks, forests, hiking opportunities-
Nashville and TN in general have a great park system. Right in the city Nashville has Radnor Lake, a 1200 acre natural perserve that is the largest pocket of wilderness in any major city in the US.

- Politically conservative (especially socially conservative)-
In the suburbs, yes. And overall, TN is a more conservative state.

- Decent amount of culture-
Great music, obiviously. But not just country- Nashville has a wonderful Symphony and a gorgeous symphony hall, Frist Art Museum, Nashville
Ballet, touring Broadway shows, Cheekwood Botantical Gardens & Museum etc.

- Few or no hipsters- Check

- Strong family-oriented atmosphere-
Yes, it's a huge family area, esp. in the suburbs

- Classy, but not snobby -
Nashville has one of the wealthist counties in the country and one of the wealthiest cities, which are in two different areas. But people are snobby or obssessed with material things. Tons of stars live here, but no one bothers them. It's a really nice place to live.

- The bigger the city, the better-
1.7 Million and growing. Not huge, but not tiny either.

- Friendly-
Check the current thread on Nashville Pros/Cons on the Nashville board to see what recent and potential transplants are saying. Nashville is a really friendly place.

- Colleges and Universities nearby (especially Catholic ones), are a plus.
The Nashville area's 21 accredited four-year and postgraduate institutions are an integral part of the economic and cultural identity of the area. In addition, the area boasts six community colleges and 11 votech schools. One small Catholic college- Aquinas.

- People are traditional, morally conservative, and polite.
Yes- as a general rule. But obviously people are people no matter where you live. But as a rule, people are pretty darn polite here.

- Decent public transportation-
And here we fall off a cliff. Nashville's public transportation does not qualify even as decent. There is a bus system, and one commuter rail line from one suburb. But overall, pretty pathetic.

I was thinking St. Louis or Cincinnati, but I don't know. Is there a city, or a part of a city, like this? I realize that the list has a few contradictions, so obviously I'm not expecting a place to hit on all cylinders. But does anything come close?

Also, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, and Kansas City might be reasonable fits--although not on all of the criteria, to be sure.
Answers in red. Nashville fits a lot of the things you are seeking.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:17 PM

92,150 posts, read 122,387,927 times
Albany NY has St. Rose within the city limits and Surname College in suburban Loudonville. There are 7 Catholic High Schools in the metro. It may have a few hipsters, but the metro is moderate(more liberal cities, but moderate to conservative other parts of the area.

Buffalo is another metro with 3 Catholic colleges and 2 others with a Catholic history. There are about 15 Catholic High Schools in its Diocese.

Rochester has 2 Catholic colleges and about 5 Catholic High Schools.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,798,514 times
I'd probably say San Antonio. It's fairly conservative, has a high percentage of Catholics, and the Hill Country is nearby. The people there are not snobby in the least and it's a fairly big city.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'd probably say San Antonio. It's fairly conservative, has a high percentage of Catholics, and the Hill Country is nearby. The people there are not snobby in the least and it's a fairly big city.
As it happens, San Antonio is one of my favorite places, and it is near the top of my list.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Answers in red. Nashville fits a lot of the things you are seeking.
Likewise, though I haven't been to Nashville, it has been on the radar in a real way. I think that my main concern with Nashville, and other Dixie cities, is that the overwhelmingly non-Catholic population will be tough. Nevertheless, Nashville really is a fine American city.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,724,804 times
Dubuque, Iowa. Archdiocese of Dubuque - Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.