Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:45 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,381 times

Advertisements

Based on location alone Los Angeles is in one the biggest states in America /it's really apples & oranges because even though Texas and Alaska is larger in land size ,it's still not more populated than NYC ......the unseen truth when it comes to New York ,is that the metro adds population from another state and combines its counties to make the population seem bigger but in reality New York City ( manhattan ) vs Los Angeles city is what really should be the focus/and Los Angeles is clearly more bigger & populated.....than if we compare the 5 counties/boroughs to one city Los Angeles,that's where the 8 mill to 4 mill comes from but Los Angeles county at its core is about 10 million people and that's more than the 5 counties/boroughs of New York no matter how you slice and dice it .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:05 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Based on location alone Los Angeles is in one the biggest states in America /it's really apples & oranges because even though Texas and Alaska is larger in land size ,it's still not more populated than NYC ......the unseen truth when it comes to New York ,is that the metro adds population from another state and combines its counties to make the population seem bigger but in reality New York City ( manhattan ) vs Los Angeles city is what really should be the focus/and Los Angeles is clearly more bigger & populated.....than if we compare the 5 counties/boroughs to one city Los Angeles,that's where the 8 mill to 4 mill comes from but Los Angeles county at its core is about 10 million people and that's more than the 5 counties/boroughs of New York no matter how you slice and dice it .....
It is apples and oranges in terms of the more sprawled out nature of Los Angeles versus NYC, even with the 5 boroughs/counties.

Also, the NYC metro spills over into multiple states, which kind of hurts NY State's population as a state, whereas the Los Angeles metro is completely contained within California.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:32 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Yes you are such a genius. Manhattan 22 sq miles should be compared apples to apples to Los Angeles of 469 sq miles. good analysis daveman.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
the link is dead, but I'm wondering how they came up with the numbers. I can't figure out anyone way they're comparable. Only way I can think of it is that suburban homes in Los Angeles might be more expensive than suburban NYC.

I think this is it:

Median home value, Orange County (CA): $537,600
Median home value, Nassau County (NY): $467,500

% in multi-unit structures, Orange County: 34%
% in multi-unit structures, Nassau County: 21%

Suburbs of NYC are slightly cheaper, and I picked one of the more expensive suburban counties.

Looking at NYC vs LA County:

Median home value, Los Angeles County (CA): $443,300
Median home value, New York, NY: $501,500

% in multi-unit structures, Los Angeles County: 42%
% in multi-unit structures, New York, NY: 84%

Do a metro-wide average they might come out about the same. Looking at just single-family detached homes, the NYC metro might come out cheaper. Detached homes in NYC are pricey (except for maybe Staten Island), but only a small of detached homes in the metro are in NYC. And likely since the LA suburbs have more multi-family mixed in, if any of those are condos they probably drag the average home price down, widening the gap for detached homes.

Compare rents. Since most NYC residents, that might be more reasonable. Median NYC rent is $1167. Nassau County $1467 [but most residents don't rent]. LA county rent: $1187/month, just a bit higher. Orange County: $1482/month. Amazingly similar but makes economic sense: median income in Nassau County and Orange County are similar ditto with NYC and LA county. However, the % of the population that rents isn't the same, so the renters probably don't have the same income in both places.

So going by the fact the rents are the same in both metros, and the average home costs (esp if compared with detached) in LA is just a big higher, than it makes LA is more expensive.

Of course, this conclusion is somewhat stupid and misleading.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
I thought SF metro was even more expensive, no?

Old 03-04-2014, 04:42 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
so……we're saying the bigger the city the better? we're saying that if NYC could add 2 boroughs to the east that are LI counties and westchester and few more to the north, it would be over 10,000,000 and those 8 digits make it even better? Heck, let's shoot for the moon and take the whole area covered by the Port Authority on both sides (NY, NJ) of the Hudson and turn what was called "Greater New York" when the 5 boroughs combined into "Greatest New York". Or LA city and LA county can pull an SF and become the same and LA's population wold mushroom?

i guess what we really mean is that we'd love to see our big cities, NY, LA, and the other strive to be Largos, Nigeria (16,060,307), Karachi, Pakistan (13,969,284), or Mumbai, India (12,478,447). Meanwhile, in our own nation, there are pathetic, meaningless, hick towns like San Francisco and Boston, those puddly places that dare to call themselves cities despite their pathetic below 1,000,000 (that's virtually a village). and, frankly, aren't we all bit embarrassed to have a capital city, Washington, that can't cross that million mark. I say take over the land west of the Potomac in VA that once was part of DC and given up and again make it part of the city. I'm sure with Arlington and all those other cities over there, Washington could easily creep over the million mark. And a diamond shaped city: how cool is that.

the earth's population hit its first billion around 1800 after some 10,000 or so years of mankind. The second billion was hit around the time of the Great Depression. We're at about 7 today, heading fairly soon to 10 on a planet that we keep overpopulating and reducing its resources and places where livability can take place.

so let's go for the biggest, the tallest, the most expensive since clearly that's what it's all about. hey, it's the american dream, ain't it?

Old 03-04-2014, 05:54 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,381 times
Not saying bigger is better because Texas is bigger and it's not better than California or Florida but everyone has their respective opinions......far as comparing manhattan 22 sq miles to Los Angeles city is not a bad thing/manhatthan is very diverse to be so small but it seems like without manhatthan New Yorkers feel inferior /than the population thing which makes New York economy grow so far over other cities is because they add other states and combine counties/the only way to make it fair is to compare 5 boroughs to L.A county .......now about which city is more expensive it depends on if your living in Beverly Hills/own multiple cars & houses vs a Wall Street business man living in a penthouse /basically it depends on a persons lifestyle ......

Old 03-04-2014, 06:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I thought SF metro was even more expensive, no?
True, I'd think the SF metro would be more expensive by the measures I use. Anyone can guess what's misleading about the way I showed LA is more expensive?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
You can't blindly compare median home prices anyways. Orange County has higher medians than Nassau, but Nassau has much, much higher property taxes, much higher transfer taxes, and much higher utility bills. A $500,000 home in Nassau isn't really cheaper than a $600,000 home in Orange.

Just to illustrate, I own a home in a very expensive part of Orange County, and my property taxes are lower than those on my parents modest house in Michigan. I also have no A/C.

Or, another example, I have a friend who lives in Bronxville, NY (in Westchester County) and he pays over 30k in annual property taxes for a relatively modest house (for Bronxville standards). You have to factor overall home costs in terms of affordability, and not just blindly look at the purchase price.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
What have you been going on about?

New York City is more than Manhattan, like it or not, and has been for over 100 years. The population of the 5 boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island) aka the population of New York City is 8.3 million and its size is 468 square miles.

The population of the city of Los Angeles is 3.9 million and its size is 503 square miles. Those are the facts. LA County is irrelevant here, especially if you're trying to compare it to NYC (or Manhattan alone).

I will ever understand why Californians turn the city of Los Angeles into LA County or the metro region as a whole when comparing it, especially to NYC. If you're comparing city vs city, it's city limits that matter, especially in terms of affordability. The metro regions matter in other comparisons and even this one, but it has to be even and fair. You CANNOT fairly compare the city of New York to the County of Los Angeles. A fair comparison would be metro regions.

Counties and even cities differ in size between the coasts. A California County is not the same as a New York or New Jersey county. They're not even close in size, any of them. Look at a map of the US that breaks down by county and you'll see what I mean. California's smallest county (not including a city county) is Santa Cruz County, at 446 square miles. New Jersey's smallest county is Hudson County, at 62 square miles. New York's smallest county (not including a city county) is Rockland County, at 199 square miles. On the other hand, California's largest is San Bernardino County at 20,000 square miles, New Jersey's is Ocean County at 916 square miles, and New York's is St. Lawrence County at 2,800 square miles… see what I mean??

The NYC metro region is made up of about 22 million people in 6720 square miles (MSA) and about 13000 CSA, and the LA metro region is made up of about 18 million people in 4850 square miles (MSA), and about 33000 CSA. This isn't a difficult concept. Sorry, but the way you break this info down in your mind is wrong and unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.