Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:09 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times

Advertisements

The other day I was recalling a wedding I attended in South Carolina. The reception lasted about an hour and a half, and we felt rushed to finish eating. We didn't know if it was just how they did things in South Carolina or if it was just weird and of course we didn't want to ask about it and seem rude. So anyways, I was just thinking about how different wedding customs may or may not be across the country. For example here in the New Orleans area we second line with a brass band, do the cake pull thing, some do a money dance, and the groom has his own cake. Recptions generally last 3 to 4 hours and then the guests agree to meet at a local joint to continue with the party. The most important agenda is the food served; no one here wants to be known for having run out of food or having bad food at their reception. People actually gossip about how good/bad the food was at so and so's reception. We also don't generally have sit down dinners; food is passed around and served buffet style so that guests can mingle. So with all that being said, what are weddings like in your neck of the woods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 10:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
In France the Wedding and reception tends to last about 12-18 hours and in Greece, the Middle East and India it can last weeks... An hour and half sounds really, really short, and not too joyous ! Maybe they didn't anticipate to have a good time and were proved right !? Bizarre though.

I am French and it tends to be a sit down dinner, and as I said it will last until the small hours of the morning , with a morning breakfast afterwards for the people who have lasted the night ! There usually is music, maybe a Jazz band or country band and it is means as a joyous and fun time. Much food will be consumed and a lot of wine but over a long period so people don't really get too tipsy. Kids, and teenagers are expected to mix in and join in with older people, and it is not seen as uncool to dance with your great-aunt Eunyce who is 92 either !

It is a matter of pride to provide the very best of food and in large quantities and same with the wine. A French family would be ashamed to run out of either at their daughter's/son's wedding.

The cake is usually made of Choux pastry with a crunchy caramel topping ( filled with fresh cream) and is called a Croque-en-Bouche. If you get married in church it is usual to invite the priest to the reception and for civil ceremonies , even the mayor is usually invited ( as he/she will most likely perform the ceremony).

In the UK where I live, the reception can be either a sit down affair or a buffet ( increasingly popular) and most couples will have a disco which I personally find a bit exclusive as the older guests will not be able to join. The weirdest thing for me here though is that guests are expected to pay for their own drinks at the bar.

I love weddings but the one you mentioned sounds really more like a perfunctory event.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,245 times
There is a great variety of receptions in Saint Louis.
The typical run-of-the-mill would be:
Ceremony during the day with a 4+ hour reception in the evening.
Full open bar service.
Buffet dinner with 2 meats, vegetable, potato, pasta and salad.
The wedding cake would be served as the dessert.
Chinaware is fairly standard.
DJ's are used more than bands.
But...sometimes the venue is an old home or other unique space, hors d'oeuvres are served, mini pastries, cup cakes or pies are offered as a dessert and jazz bands play.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:21 PM

3,289 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Quote:
The reception lasted about an hour and a half, and we felt rushed to finish eating. We didn't know if it was just how they did things in South Carolina or if it was just weird and of course we didn't want to ask about it and seem rude.
Nope, that's just how they do things there. Long drawn out deals aren't the norm. And we don't go in for dancing and stuff like that. It's more of a polite tea party type of reception. And typically held in the church reception hall right after the wedding, if the wedding is held in the church. Liz

Old 09-06-2007, 06:46 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
typical here:

rehersal dinner night before for the bridal party and out of town guests
service late morning or early evening
reception following 1-2 hrs afterward
4 hr reception at a hall - cocktail hr first
fully stocked bar
sit down meal
dj or band
lots of dancing and drinking
cut cake/garder/bouquet blah blah blah
usually go to the hotel bar where everyone is staying afterwards

weddings cost an enormous amount of $$$ here *usually* - the typical shindig I mentioned above is around $125 plate (that may be on the low end, not sure).

Old 09-06-2007, 10:07 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
typical here:

rehersal dinner night before for the bridal party and out of town guests
service late morning or early evening
reception following 1-2 hrs afterward
4 hr reception at a hall - cocktail hr first
fully stocked bar
sit down meal
dj or band
lots of dancing and drinking
cut cake/garder/bouquet blah blah blah
usually go to the hotel bar where everyone is staying afterwards

weddings cost an enormous amount of $$$ here *usually* - the typical shindig I mentioned above is around $125 plate (that may be on the low end, not sure).
Thus far, this has been the way every wedding I've been to has gone as well. Granted, I've only been to four weddings that I can remember (upcoming fifth though) but all were on the East Coast (two in PA, one in VA, one in NJ, upcoming in NJ).

Old 09-07-2007, 01:56 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times
"Croque-en-Bouche" Are the pastries arranged in a pyramid shape? If so that is what was used as the Groom's cake for my sister's wedding. Ooh pay for your own drinks at the bar?! Here that is considered downright tacky. We also invite the priest to the reception. Heck, Father Frank is one of my favorite dancing partners; I couldn't imagine a wedding without him : )

Thanks for letting me know Southernlady; we were really curious if that was the norm for the area. I've never been to a wedding outside of Louisiana before, so it was quite different for us to experience.

I didn't expect anyone else to second line with a brass band, that's really a NOLA thing, but no one else does cake pulls or money dances?

Old 09-07-2007, 03:21 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
"Croque-en-Bouche" Are the pastries arranged in a pyramid shape? If so that is what was used as the Groom's cake for my sister's wedding. Ooh pay for your own drinks at the bar?! Here that is considered downright tacky. We also invite the priest to the reception. Heck, Father Frank is one of my favorite dancing partners; I couldn't imagine a wedding without him : )

Thanks for letting me know Southernlady; we were really curious if that was the norm for the area. I've never been to a wedding outside of Louisiana before, so it was quite different for us to experience.

I didn't expect anyone else to second line with a brass band, that's really a NOLA thing, but no one else does cake pulls or money dances?

Yep , in a pyramid shape, a very French traditional wedding cake.

I agree about guests having to pay for their own drink s being really tacky but in the UK , it seems the norm. Not very hospitable but it could be because the Brits have such a big problem with booze, they would bankrupt the family!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:58 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Weddings to me are so fake and choreographed and seem to be such a waste. Especially since most end in divorce.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:58 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Nope, that's just how they do things there. Long drawn out deals aren't the norm. And we don't go in for dancing and stuff like that. It's more of a polite tea party type of reception. And typically held in the church reception hall right after the wedding, if the wedding is held in the church. Liz
That what mine was. Heck, I didn't even make my guests wait for me to come in before they could eat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.