Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 AM

398 posts, read 751,931 times

Advertisements

I am seeking a career change and will soon complete a degree in English Writing/Media and Film Studies. I realize these are both hard industries to break into, and I'll probably need to pick up work.

I have narrowed it down to some cities, and wanting your opinions...

I can support myself through graphic design in the mean time picking up gigs, or take some kind of industry job related to online media production/content writing/screen writing/publishing for creative content... No technical writing though please. I write short stories, theater and film scripts, magazine length feature pieces, etc. Of course as most burgeoning writers, I'd like to hit it big with a novel or get a script picked up... But I fully realize that difficulty and would still like to work in industry as opposed to waiting tables.

What would be the best city considering cost of living, ability to find work, etc?

Also consider I am 30 and single and looking for a fresh start, I will want to date and hopefully not everybody is already married. New career, new city.

I'd like to be able to do a lot of biking and walking in whatever neighborhood I live in, but will have a car also.

Cities I've narrowed it down to are Los Angeles, New Orleans and Austin. I thought about Florida but I don't think there is any work over there and doesn't seem to be that many creative people. My parents are retired down there, so that is a plus, but I can't do it at the sake of a job.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 02-20-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM

344 posts, read 1,052,989 times
That's tough, all 3 are good choices. I'd say LA is the obvious #1. Huge city, great place to be a writer, beach, great weather, etc. Expensive though.

For a lower cost of living, check out Austin, you'll still be around a ton of creative people, etc.

New Orleans isn't a bad choice either. You really can't go wrong lol, 3 excellent choices.

New Orleans would probably be best for cost of living. Austin is getting more expensive, and obviously LA is quite expensive.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
That's tough, all 3 are good choices. I'd say LA is the obvious #1. Huge city, great place to be a writer, beach, great weather, etc. Expensive though.

For a lower cost of living, check out Austin, you'll still be around a ton of creative people, etc.

New Orleans isn't a bad choice either. You really can't go wrong lol, 3 excellent choices.

New Orleans would probably be best for cost of living. Austin is getting more expensive, and obviously LA is quite expensive.
Hi and thanks for your reply... I guess you see my dilemma!!! Maybe I should just flip a coin. I have been to New Orleans and LA a few times, I haven't been to Austin before so I'm not really sure what I'm getting into with it.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,333,624 times
Probably Austin and New Orleans.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Probably Austin and New Orleans.
Hello, could you expand on the reasons why?

Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,333,624 times
Well to consider COL and wanting to bike/walk New Orleans is the strongest. As far as filimg opportunities I would say LA and NO are the strongest. New Orleans has been the inspiration for many writers and film makers over its history. I'm not an expert on the industry to comment on it thoroughly enough between these three cities. Personally, you should be able to find that work in all cities but taking COL into consideration and the type of lifestyle you want New Orleans wins.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times
Knoxville TN has a lot of video production companies and HGTV. Wilmington NC is known for its film industry. Knoxville has a lot of greenways, Wilmington has a great little waterfront area and a nearby beach.

Last edited by creeksitter; 02-20-2012 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: ..

Old 02-20-2012, 02:49 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
^^ I agree regarding Knoxville which is home to Scripps Networks (the parent company for HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel, DIY Network and the Travel Channel). As a result there are some peripheral opportunities with independent production companies that are located there as well (links below):

Cobblestone Entertainment | Welcome!
RIVR Media | Television Production, Video and Audio Post Production
KSS PRODUCTIONS - Home (http://www.kssproductions.com/index.html - broken link)
About Us | North South

Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 PM

Knoxville and Wilmington are too small, "southern" (no offense) and cold for me, sorry. I don't consider them "warm". Just in case, please do not mention Atlanta, SF or NYC either... not interested. I am from SF and don't think I'd fit in around Knoxville or Wilmington...Atlanta and NYC are both too cold in the winter for my taste.
I know the vibes in N.O. and West L.A. though and found them cool, hip and very eccentric depending on where you are. Not sure about Austin, but I have heard good things.
And, as I have said, I have already narrowed it down to those 3 cities to check out and explore this year before making my decision, so let's just not talk about other cities, I'm not here to argue or discuss other cities.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 02-20-2012 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well to consider COL and wanting to bike/walk New Orleans is the strongest. As far as filimg opportunities I would say LA and NO are the strongest. New Orleans has been the inspiration for many writers and film makers over its history. I'm not an expert on the industry to comment on it thoroughly enough between these three cities. Personally, you should be able to find that work in all cities but taking COL into consideration and the type of lifestyle you want New Orleans wins.
Yes basically I don't want to have to take some high stress corporate 9-5 job I know I'm going to quit in order to just scrape by. Which could very well be the fate of me in LA, and why I am considering Austin or N.O. as well as I know they have strong writing groups/artists/film communities, i.e. fish in a small pond. I would probably look for a small studio in any of these places, or find a roommate situation until I got settled in. I was just in New Orleans last october and saw a LOT of people on bikes which was cool. I am going to SXSW soon in Austin so I'll see how it is.
Besides finding some good work, yes being able to bike/walk around, the weather and the cost are my concerns.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 02-20-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.